151 (edited by Zachn 30-07-2012 18:30:06)

Re: MakeN PotPlayer Guide - Not Dead Yet 2021 W.I.P.

Ok Maken,

I came home and tried all settings as you suggested, here's a screenshot of my PC while playing an 1080p DTS MKV file, you have all the file specs at the bottom left corner, and you have CPU and GPU usage statistics as well:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/yoxn3.jpg

For the full size image: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/yoxn3

First I tried with SVP off and the CPU usage was around 25%, when I activate SVP and usage hits 50%-60%, I guess it's normal since the frame rate is doubled... Anyway, with EVR, GPU usage is still low, and honestly, looks like madVR utilizes the GPU and provides a better image quality smile

Also, I didn't see any steps recommending to use Haali Splitter in your guide
I haven't touched any SVP profiles yet, Video Decoders and Splitters are all set to Default as you recommended, LAV is not used.

Thanks

Hey Zachn, good to see you again smile.

Hmm you say that without SVP and playing that Movie from the screenshot ( Batman ), you get arround 25% of CPU usage ? thats too bad, too much, im wondering if that mkv is very high bitrated or with very high Reference Frames.. I have Transformers Revenge of the Fallen IMAX FullHD 1080p DTSHD MA 5.1 mkv with this spec: arround 20Mbps video bitrate that is very high for  old PC and with my personal configurations without SVP it just take from my CPU 11% without running anything in the background, with your CPU big_smile it should be near ZERO or 1%. With 720p my CPU usage is 4/8% with the same case. I think something is missing there, one step or something that is consuming you alot of CPU usage when playing that file. Just wait, i will update the Guide with some Detailed images for an easy fallowing, if after that you are still having that high CPU usage without SVP then is sure that is something else that you dont know, taking without need more resourses than normal. Dont worry we will soved that very soon smile.

@Rimsky
Thank you again smile, you helped me with more things i was wondering before.

@Chainik
  big_smile sorry friend.

153 (edited by Zachn 31-07-2012 08:12:26)

You know what, now that I think about it I'm not sure if I gave you the correct info about the CPU usage without SVP, I also had some apps in the background when I checked.

I have to check again without SVP and get back to you...

Ok, turns out I was wrong, I checked again without SVP and no extra programs in the background, CPU usage is 0%-4% when playing a 1080p MKV file so all is good.

Now it's time to move on to reducing CPU usage with SVP and increasing GPU usage. What's the next step?

Zachn wrote:

Ok, turns out I was wrong, I checked again without SVP and no extra programs in the background, CPU usage is 0%-4% when playing a 1080p MKV file so all is good.

Now it's time to move on to reducing CPU usage with SVP and increasing GPU usage. What's the next step?

Hi Zachn, how you been?

I was very busy and problems with my network sad, thats why i still not upload the new updates about my guide.

Ohh key thats better smile, now you can try go to the first page and find the 3rd post, there is something id posted about SVP, create/add your own SVPs profiles. Something to start to play and learn while im testing other things for update my Guide.

In my opinion you should not worry much about high CPU usage because think this, more performance could mean less quality ( ideal for old and slower pcs ) and high quality could mean high performance drop but it worth, if you have a good pc the idea is use it power to provide that high quality. Ok you can get some kind of balance between both but it need advanced users and much dedication. I recommend you first install SVP, leave SVP that auto detect your hardware and adjust the profiles depending of it, play your movies, see your performance and more important your smooth quality, if you like it results then you can just add new profiles fallowing some settings from them and add few mores for an easy go. Now if you dont like and want to try to get that kind of balance between performance and high quality then you need to play more with SVPs adding your personal profiles adjusted to your own tastes. I know that more quality i want more power i need.

Friend start fallowing those instructions on the first page - 3rd post to start to learn and add your own custom profiles for all your media smile. Once my network get better i will post my new updates.

Maken1
So what about Wiki? Have you received my mail?

Ok, but what about madVR? I have to say that the image quality looks a bit better when using madVR compared to EVR Custom Present...

Also, are you sure EVR is better for faster CPUs and GPUs? For instance, in LAV I could set the DXVA method as you explained, but when using EVR I don't see this option anywhere, how can I tell if it's using NVIDIA CUVID or DXVA Native/DXVA Copy-Back etc?

Thanks

Main post updated

Update:
1- PotPlayer configurations section was updated.

@Zachn
Hi, how you been?
Check the main post > PotPlayer Configurations, try both Cases and show us your results please ( detailed all you can and if possible with screenshots - thanks ). Lets leave enhanced the image quality for the end, once you get properly configured PotPlayer and SVP balanced between Performance and Quality then we go to EXTRA section that will be my next updates for Very High and Extreme Image Quality, note that this will be possible only if users after finish configure PotPlayer, SVP and their custom profiles, if still some power from their CPU and GPU remaind then lets focus on the Image Quality because this will cost more performance drop big_smile.

@Chainik
Hi, how you been?
Yes, thanks and sorry for the late answer, i was so busy working like crazy smile. Maken need money for update my old pc im tired of not be able to play lastest games and i want experiment much more with SVP big_smile. If im honest with you i dont know how to use Wiki much, in fact this will be the first time, there is some settings,etc i still not understand much, i want to finish this Guide here first, then if you help me some we can try with Wiki ok?

Greetings to all peoples.

Hi guys.
I use SVP in CPU mode (I dont have decent GPU to do any processing), so I use Overlay Mixer in the Potplayer render type.

I use a Geforce 7300SE  + 266.68drivers

I wanted to know If using overlay mixer and decoding from CPU can I get better performance updating drivers.

I was checking your first post about performance tables of different NVIDIA drivers, but the scenario is using GPU for decoding.

Anyone could set render to overlaymixer and CPU decoding codecs/SVP and check performance of some Nvidia drivers?

Thanks for the help

travolter
Anyone could set render to overlaymixer and CPU decoding codecs/SVP and check performance of some Nvidia drivers?
Why you don't do it yourself? What the problem?
When I need it I doing it myself.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=1732

SVPmark results from this picture show speed of CPU decode and SVP calculations with GPU OpenCL acceleration but without any rendering.

To determine calculation speed with rendering you need to use Graphedit (GraphStudio / GraphStudioNext) for example. It is individual for each system. And It is no 100% garantee that your player shows the same speed as Graphedit.

161 (edited by travolter 09-08-2012 16:27:39)

Oh man .. Ill do my tests right now.. Im not a lazy guy wink I just was asking because I though that you had already some test results of different drivers versions in you SVP database.

As I notice in your table I dont know why performance varies in each version. Ill bet for older versions first since I dont need these openCL goodies.

Edit.- I tested random versions starting from 258.96 to latest and really no noticeable difference between them.

162 (edited by Zachn 19-08-2012 15:37:46)

Maken1 wrote:

Main post updated

Update:
1- PotPlayer configurations section was updated.

@Zachn
Hi, how you been?
Check the main post > PotPlayer Configurations, try both Cases and show us your results please ( detailed all you can and if possible with screenshots - thanks ). Lets leave enhanced the image quality for the end, once you get properly configured PotPlayer and SVP balanced between Performance and Quality then we go to EXTRA section that will be my next updates for Very High and Extreme Image Quality, note that this will be possible only if users after finish configure PotPlayer, SVP and their custom profiles, if still some power from their CPU and GPU remaind then lets focus on the Image Quality because this will cost more performance drop big_smile.

Hi Maken,

I went back to the main post and reconfigured PotPlayer with Haali Media Splitter as you suggested. The player is now configured correctly, and I'm not using LAV but the built in DXVA of PotPlayer.

Now I tried both cases, here are the screenshots:

1. EVR

http://i47.tinypic.com/icml49.png

2. madVR

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vxndxd.png

I didn't use any advanced scaling options in madVR and I turned off Scale in Linear Light

Looks like the performance are roughly the same.

What do you think?

Hey Zachn, how you been? i hope that good.

Hey but you are not telling me / showing me what profile or setting are you using on SVP ? screenshot(s) will be useful. The spec of that movie will be useful as well.

Greetings.

164 (edited by Zachn 20-08-2012 20:47:02)

Hey Maken,

First, I have a question about the Audio, today I bought a new Yamaha HTR-4064 Receiver and 2 Morel SP-2 Satellite speakers, and for a Subwoofer I have an Alpha Technologies XP-1150, so it's a 2.1 Setup, very nice indeed smile
At first I set the Speakers to 2.1+LFE but after reading your suggestions, I set the speakers to Dolby Surround/Prologic, and it does sound better. If I set it to "Same as Input" the quality is not good.

Can you please tell me if that's ok?

http://i50.tinypic.com/dbield.png

I have the option to set the audio device as LG TV (NVIDIA High Definition), should I choose that one or use the Default DirectSound Device?

Now about SVP, I'm using the default profile for 1080p:

http://i46.tinypic.com/oqyq1h.png

Here is the file info:

[Used Filter List]
(1) Haali Media Splitter
(2) Video Codec/Transform
(3) ffdshow raw video filter
(4) Enhanced Video Renderer(Custom Present)
(5) Audio Codec/Transform
(6) DirectSound Audio Renderer

[Video Information]
Video Codec:avc1 - DXVA Decoder(VLD - Slice Short)
Input type:avc1(24 bits)
Input size:1920 x 1080(1.78:1)
Output type:YV12(12 bits)
Output Size:1920 x 1080(1.78:1)
Frame Rate:23.98
BitRate: Unknown

[Audio Information]
Audio Codec:DTS(0x2001) - Default Decoder
Sample rate:48000 ->48000 samples / sec
Bit rate:0 ->32 bits / sample
Channels:6 ->3 channels
Bitrate: 0 kbps

D:\HD\Movies\The.Dark.Knight.1080p.Bluray.DTS.x264-SHiTSoNy\The.Dark.Knight.1080p.Bluray.DTS.x264-SHiTSoNy.mkv
  General
    Unique ID : 192175582977566119918117248947374706854 (0x9093ABC595BE57569EDB64B77D86D0A6)
    Complete name : D:\HD\Movies\The.Dark.Knight.1080p.Bluray.DTS.x264-SHiTSoNy\The.Dark.Knight.1080p.Bluray.DTS.x264-SHiTSoNy.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 1
    File size : 15.9 GiB
    Duration : 2h 32mn
    Overall bit rate : 14.9 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2008-12-02 18:38:40
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.3.0 ('Freak U') built on Sep  8 2008 18:32:16
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
  Video #1
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 13.4 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.270
    Stream size : 14.0 GiB (88%)
    Writing library : x264 core 65 r1042M 5df2a71
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-3:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=0.9:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=13432 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=40000 / vbv_bufsize=40000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.10 / zones=211217,217989,q=30
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
  Audio #2
    ID : 2
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Codec ID : A_DTS
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 1.61 GiB (10%)
    Language : English
  Text #3
    ID : 3
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
    Language : Dutch

Thanks smile

165 (edited by Maken1 20-08-2012 23:36:54)

Zachn wrote:

Hey Maken...................................................>

Hey Zachn, good to see friend smile. Ohh congratulations my friend big_smile nice time to make a theater in your home ah? hey invite me to watch some movies big_smile.
Man about graphics, there is something that i cant stand at the time of enjoy it...if  THE SOUND!!! not makes me feel that its almost real then we got a problem -_- lol, thats one of the most importants things for me. the sound make extremely important part for the theater experience. Thats something i was working like crazy more than you can imaginate and i have incredible results to share later.

Ok first i need to know something:

1- Do you have Sound Card? wich one ? what drivers ? Well i see what you said " I have the option to set the audio device as LG TV (NVIDIA High Definition) " , can you tell me your motherboard? For integrated Audio i will post some recommended settings on the Extra Section. I recommend you to buy and install one Sound Card, trust me is the best more if you want to take more advantage of your hardware and enhanced your theater experience and of course gaming as well smile. If you want recommendations then tell me wink.

About the SVP profile ( thanks for provide the screenshot smile is the best way ) i can tell you that it was what i was thinking and your results are normal for me because of this:

Lets explain this in my way and i hope you can understand me.

1- Motion vectors grid , more on this is better, provide more quality to the smooth, you can try to set it to 32px. large 0 and 16 px. Average 0 for example and you will notice the differencies, it cost more or some performance depending the settings you are trying to use but on slow pc this and for 1080p use 16 px. Average 0 and more the performance drop is huge. For example i cant use more than 16 px. Avergare 0 on 1080p movies because CPU usage goes insane in especial if it was encoded to 30 fps. It cause more artifacts that you can lower some with Motion vectors precision.

2- Motion vectors precision set it more than Two pixels on slower PC..man since huge to insane performance drop in especial on 1080p, in my case i cant use for example One pixel on fullHD 1080p, but that setting is very important and always recommended use more than Two pixel if your PC can handle.

3- Decrease frame size if you set it to Disable (default), will make the image look as it original resolution, this is very useful settings ( thanks SVP ) for slow PCs and if your monitor is less than 1080p resolution, you can save some performance setting it To screen size and if your resolution is less than 1080p, but the quality and differencies depend of the final resolution from the file, at the end no matter the default file resolution, it will be resize to your Monitor Screen Resolution.

Example:
1- Your Movie resolution was encoded to 1080p and your Monitors max resolution is 1280x720 or 800 or so, at the end SVP will resize the image of the file to 1280x720 saving your some performance without lost much image quality. It image quality lost could be not noticeable smile all depend from you.
2- Your Movie resolution was encoded to 1080p and your Monitors max resolution is 1080p but you set on Decrease frame size to To 720 px height for example.. then SVP will resize the image to 1280x720p giving you much more performance at cost of noticeable image quality LOST on 1080p monitors / resolutions, the quality will be the same if the movie were enconded to 720p instead of 1080p
3- Your Movie resolution was enconded to 1080p and your Monitors max resolution is 1080p and you set on Decrease frame size to To screen size then i tell you that it is useless it must be set to Disable (default).

Use this setting fallowing those example to save performance or leave the image resolution from the file untouched.

so my friend after this, try yourself to toy with those settings to start to learn use SVP and it profiles, the idea is at the end you create your own custom profiles big_smile for all your Movies, videos and more based on your system performance or your desire quality and system use. I also recommend you go to the first page - 3rd post and fallow my settings to start learning use more SVP because i see you are not happy with your performance and after fallowing my Guide to set up PotPlayer first for SVP the solution for your problems or desires is play with that wink.

More about Audio tips for ultimate sound experience coming later.

Greetings and thanks to you too friend smile.

166 (edited by Zachn 21-08-2012 08:57:11)

Hi Maken, thanks for the info, to answer your questions:

1. My motherboard is MSI Z77-GD65 and I have an integrated Soundcard, but I'm not using it to pass sound. Currently, I connected my computer to my Yamaha receiver with an HDMI cable from the GTX680 GPU so all the sound is transferred from the GPU at the moment. Of course I did this because HDMI also transfers high quality Audio so I thought why not use 1 less cable and just pass it from the GPU. I can of course pass the sound from the SPDIF out with a cable but right now it's working with the HDMI cable that is connected to my GTX680. Should I change this for better Audio performance? The option of LG TV (NVIDIA High Definition) is relevant to the HDMI out of the GPU, it's not related to the soundcard on the motherboard.

2. I'll get home and try some SVP settings you suggested, but I'm still having a hard time deciding whether I want to use madVR or EVR. madVR simply utilizes my GPU better than EVR. Also, about DXVA, currently I'm using PotPlayer's default DXVA decoders, why not use LAV for DXVA? Because I saw that with LAV you can choose if you want to use NVIDIA CUVID/DXVA Native/DXVA Copy Back etc, but with PotPlayer's DXVA I don't see these options. Please help me decide which settings are best for me.

Thanks.

Zachn wrote:

Hi Maken, thanks for the info, to answer your questions:

1. My motherboard is MSI Z77-GD65 and I have an integrated Soundcard, but I'm not using it to pass sound. Currently, I connected my computer to my Yamaha receiver with an HDMI cable from the GTX680 GPU so all the sound is transferred from the GPU at the moment. Of course I did this because HDMI also transfers high quality Audio so I thought why not use 1 less cable and just pass it from the GPU. I can of course pass the sound from the SPDIF out with a cable but right now it's working with the HDMI cable that is connected to my GTX680. Should I change this for better Audio performance? The option of LG TV (NVIDIA High Definition) is relevant to the HDMI out of the GPU, it's not related to the soundcard on the motherboard.

2. I'll get home and try some SVP settings you suggested, but I'm still having a hard time deciding whether I want to use madVR or EVR. madVR simply utilizes my GPU better than EVR. Also, about DXVA, currently I'm using PotPlayer's default DXVA decoders, why not use LAV for DXVA? Because I saw that with LAV you can choose if you want to use NVIDIA CUVID/DXVA Native/DXVA Copy Back etc, but with PotPlayer's DXVA I don't see these options. Please help me decide which settings are best for me.

Thanks.

Hey Zachn, how is going with the new sound hardware? you like it ?
With that screenshot and the settings about sound and settings you were using, thats perfonmance, lets leave the sound for the end now you should concentrate with the thing that bothers you. Lets put this in this way my friend, lets say that you use EVRCP or MadVR at the end it does not matter in some part if you use the same SVPs settings, your final performance / quality depend on it because you fallowed the steps to set up PotPlayer to get all the performance you can for SVP, now i need you find your best SVP settings that makes you happy, it will determinate your final performance, once you get your best settings if more power left from your CPU and GPU we will use it to give more quality to other things, the idea is use all resourses you can and left to give much more quality for best entertaiment. Lets concentrate on SVP first then later we take care about image quality, sound quality and some extra performance.

168 (edited by Rimsky 24-08-2012 06:07:07)

Hi all, everything ok here? i hope smile.

Lets take this like example of the quality of my Guide on my PC, you all take this as example if your pc is much better than mine and im sure it is smile so the results in your case have to be much much better!.

First let me show you this:

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/h/c/9/xhc9saxl3bz3fm5m4hghh_s.png

Thats my PC, i have lowered some my CPU overclocking to do and demostrate more the quality of my work of all this time about my system performance / overclocks. With such of CPU model / type and my two GPUS ( Nvida GeForce GTS 250 1GB in SLi ) they are nothing compared with the actual hardware so if i figured out how to handle some SVP and more with this then you that have better PC than it, have to be much much better the results if you do all right as describe on my Guide.

This screenshot was taken playing this movie Transformers Revenge of The Fallen IMAX Edition and it specs are:

Complete name : D:\Movies and Demos\Transformers Revenge of The Fallen IMAX Edition BluRay x264 1080p DTS HD MA.mkv
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 21.9 GiB
    Duration : 2h 30mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 20.9 Mbps  --------------------> [i]High Video Bit rate, this kind of bit rate was hard play with SVP before but now is different [/i]:)
    Movie name : Transformers Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-11-10 11:14:52
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.9.7 ('Tenderness') built on Jul  1 2009 18:43:35
    Attachment : Yes / Yes / Yes
  Video #1
    Bit rate : 19.3 Mbps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.388
    Stream size : 19.8 GiB (90%)
    Title : 19.2Mbps MPEG-4 AVC
    Writing library : x264 core 78 r1318 fe83a90
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=esa / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.2:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=70 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=19272 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=50000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.80 / zones=85441,87130,b=1.25/87235,90254,b=1.25/90501,91426,b=1.25/160287,160561,b=1.25/162627,162695,b=1.25/162733,162901,b=1.25/162973,163026,b=1.25/163322,163453,b=1.25/163490,163823,b=1.25/163860,163984,b=1.25/164014,164288,b=1.25/168452,168592,b=1.25/168712,169058,b=1.25/169227,169274,b=1.25/169313,169748,b=1.25/169915,169992,b=1.25/170070,170502,b=1.25/170801,171364,b=1.25/171406,171995,b=1.25/178178,178286,b=1.25/182037,182157,b=1.25
  Audio #2
    Stream size : 1.59 GiB (7%)
    Title : Main Audio DTS 5.1 @ 1536Kbps
  Audio #3
    Format : Vorbis
    Format settings, Floor : 1
    Codec ID : A_VORBIS
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 80.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Stream size : 86.1 MiB (0%)
    Title : Commentary OGG 2.0 @ 80Kbps
    Writing library : libVorbis 1.2 (UTC 2007-06-22)
    Default : No
  Text #4
    ID : 4
    Format : ASS
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha
    Compression mode : Lossless

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/j/j/v/xjjvxennyhfky3ravs9r_s.jpg

Thats result of fallowing my Guide, without SVP and Nvidia drivers 304.79.

Now see this one with the same movie + SVP on + one balanced SVP custom profile ( i recommend you to go to first page - 3rd post to see my recommended profile to start to play and create your own custom profiles ) and the same video drivers:

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/l/y/o/xlyoao2yiocdtrzeho3w_s.jpg

One thing sometimes i have some problems of high CPU Spikes and performance drop playing 1080p files using on SVP 16 px. Average 0 so i have to lower it to 24 px. Large 2 to minimize some my performance drop on 1080p files. Its not faul of SVP no no no, its my CPU that cant handle more smile. Lets say that if that movie were encoded to 29.97 fps and taking those settings on the SVP then impossible to playback with that PC specs, i have to lower more other settings and sacrifice the smooth and gain more artifacts. With 720p its much better i can use more settings to give more smooth quality and minimize some artifacts, even use some extra audio quality and shaders.

Rimsky use teg /code for technical information

169 (edited by Zachn 24-08-2012 13:12:10)

Hi Maken,

Well, I tried the balanced profile you put in your screenshot and guess what? It reduced my CPU performance by about 20-30%, before playing an HD movie would cost me between 50-60% and my GPU load was around 25% with EVR and 30% with madVR without highest scaling settings. Now when I tried this profile, my CPU load is around 30-35% and my GPU load increased to around 39% with EVR and 35% with madVR with 3 taps scaling and without linear light.

Looks like this did what I wanted to, I was using the default profile before. But I do have to admit that with these settings the image is a bit less smooth from what I've noticed.
Can you please explain what makes this profile utilize the GPU more than the CPU?

EDIT

I found out what made my CPU usage so high! I reset my SVP profile and started tweaking it, I found that it was the "Motion Vectors Precision" setting! Before I had it on Half Pixel which is default, the tooltip says higher is better so I increased it to 2 pixels and my CPU load is down by 20%! With Half Pixel it's at around 50-60%, with 2 pixels it's at 30-40% while maintaining other settings for quality and with madVR on highest settings! But something I don't understand is if it says that higher is better then it means that more power is needed and then shouldn't the CPU usage increase rather than decrease? If this setting improves quality I would expect CPU load to rise higher.

Anyway, here's the profile I'm using right now, this gives me 30-40% CPU usage which I think is really good. When using madVR with the highest scaling and linear light settings enabled I get 50% GPU load and 30-40% CPU load. With EVR GPU load stays around 25-30%.

What do you think:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zfu361.png

Thanks

Zachn wrote:

Hi Maken----------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thanks

Greetings Zachn, how you been? smile

I tell you again friend, that is normal the profile you was using or were set on the SVP by default was based automaticaly on your CPU Type / performance. If your CPU type / performance are old / slow then SVP will set lower profile settings to adjust to your system performance, more powerful is your CPU and GPU then more settings will and must be set to take advantage of it, provide better smooth and image quality at cost of high hardware utilization. For example in one game more filters, textures, antialiasing and resolution you use more quality you get at cost of performance, lower settings provides high performance at cost in lost of image quality. This is hard decition that depend on users and it possibilities, you have to keep that in mind, what you really want?

Thanks for the screenshot it is always the best way and it have to be for better understanding.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zfu361.png

Ok about your profile i think its ok for your PC but in my case i cant use that XD impossible, those are settings that are demanding but worth, i dont recommend you useTwo pixels taking in mind the power of your PC, you should try at least One pixel or better, that settings cost high CPU usage but it worth, it minimize some artifacts and not sacrifice smooth. I recommend you better use Half pixel (default) all the time  because your pc can handle it, my pc does only with 720p and it provide better smooth in special in fast escenes.

Uniform (max smoothenss) it provide the max as it says smoothenss but give you more artifacts, to lower some of it you need to max some settings that will cost you more CPU and GPU usages at even with that some artifacts can be spotted and annoying for some peoples. I think use it if you dont care artifacts and you just want very high smoothenss and feel like if it were playing one video game at constant 60 fps without any drop in motion with all kind of escenes. There is for me other ways to give almost the same it does combining other settings. I recommend you leave it in Adaptive (default).

By two with global refinemen like it says, its extreme heavy operation and is true, impossible for me to use it with my actual hardware, i think this with Half pixel (default) help some with artifacts when you are using Uniform (max smoothenss) but those two settings in combination are heavy CPU usage, thats the price for smooth as i told you before, change / lower those settings will reduce your CPU usage at cost of less or different smooth quality compared with the settings of your profile ( screenshot ). I recommend you leave it in Disable (default) first while you still dont know when to use it and spot it effects.

About why EVR CP use more GPU i will explain you in my experience ok? in old days with some old Nvidia Drivers the OpenCL and it performance was greater compared with the lastest drivers using EVR CP, something that was affecting me a lot sad, my performance decreased so much with the new changes, ruining my old settings and performance with SVP so i found MadVR the only solution until now. I was with two Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb in SLi, then changed both by Two Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1gb in SLi and the problem was still present. If i apply my personal Guide on one recent system ( much much better than mine of course ) using EVR CP the results are ok not problems, but in my case it does not, high CPU spikes and constantly SVPs messages showing me performance drop and insane GPUs usage making play some file almost impossible with Medium / High settings on my profiles sad ( check out some old pages from this thread and you will see ). MadVR minimized so much my annoying performance drop using EVR CP on those GPUs, also it was providing me new and high image quality with DVDs and 720p saving me to use some shaders ( for enhance image quality ) that will cost me more CPU usage that can affect my performance with SVP ( even using my well overclocked Core 2 Duo ). As i said on my Guide use MadVR if your GPU is old / slow, to save some CPU usage ( if you configure it well ) and enhanced image quality of some DVDs and 720p files. If your GPU(s) are new / faster then you can use EVR CP even with the bad performance with OpenCL on the lastest Nvidia Drivers that are still provinding, bad performance that your recent and powerful GPU will handle without much problems. If your GPU(s) are more recent and poweful than your CPU, MadVR can be use as well to prior all you can to GPU(s), free more resourses to CPU ideal for SVP and your X custom profile settings.

Try this and tell me if you like

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/t/y/x/xtyx7t56wqgli2m1855hm_s.png

I ask you again what you really want? Smooth Quality or Performance ?

Highest Smooth Quality with less or not so much artifacts + highest image quality = Huge performance drop / hardware use, price that worth for the goal.
Highest Smooth Performance = Performance with huge or noticeable / annoying quality LOST, price to pay and needed for slower / old Hardware.
Balanced between Quality and Performance = dedication and advanced users. Practice, patient, well system overclocks to pushing much more your hadware capabilities, take advantage of it.

Good luck and thanks.

171 (edited by Zachn 24-08-2012 19:54:28)

Ok, I tried your profile settings and they work well

my CPU is a 2500K @ 4.5 GHz and my GPU is GTX680 and I have 8GB of DDR-1600 memory, so absolutely no performance drop no matter which setting I'm using.

What I'm looking? Quality. I have a powerful PC that should be able to handle every setting I throw at it. I want the best image quality I can get without artifacts and high to near perfect smoothing from SVP.
Help me with that smile

Right now with your profile my CPU usage is about 50-60%, btw you're right Half Pizel with Refinement scribbles the FPS and there is a big performance drop, so I disabled refinement and I switched to Half Pixel, I now realized that Half Pizel is higher than 2 pixels and that's why CPU usage is higher with this on.

Also, with the profile you suggested I see that my CPU usage curve is much more steady and there are no spikes like in my previous screenshots.

My GPU usage with EVR is at around 30%, are there any EVR settings I can set for this renderer? What about DXVA? Is there somewhere I can set it to CUVID like in LAV?

Thanks

172 (edited by Maken1 24-08-2012 21:14:21)

Ok, I tried your profile settings and they work well

my CPU is a 2500K @ 4.5 GHz and my GPU is GTX680 and I have 8GB of DDR-1600 memory, so absolutely no performance drop no matter which setting I'm using.

What I'm looking? Quality. I have a powerful PC that should be able to handle every setting I throw at it. I want the best image quality I can get without artifacts and high to near perfect smoothing from SVP.
Help me with that

Right now with your profile my CPU usage is about 50-60%, btw you're right Half Pizel with Refinement scribbles the FPS and there is a big performance drop, so I disabled refinement and I switched to Half Pixel, I now realized that Half Pizel is higher than 2 pixels and that's why CPU usage is higher with this on.

Also, with the profile you suggested I see that my CPU usage curve is much more steady and there are no spikes like in my previous screenshots.

My GPU usage with EVR is at around 30%, are there any EVR settings I can set for this renderer? What about DXVA? Is there somewhere I can set it to CUVID like in LAV?

Thanks

smile ok then lets " throw at it " at you said and dont worry much about your CPU and GPU usages, if its the same as before or more but if it Worth then no care much about that, thats why you have that PC right? if its powerful then lets use all that power all we can to provide the quality you are after. I have high usages on my CPU and GPUs all the time, but thats ok it worth, worse is that it were for nothing only to create annoying problems than entertaiment.

I need your help and well all of us need your help, you have to put your part finding and toying with settings as well to can find the Quality you are after fallowing the settings and upcoming settings from my Guide then later show us your results to can compare ok?

About Half Pixel (default) i told you big_smile it cost more peformance, huge on slow PCs, but in your case you must use it big_smile so no Two pixels, no One Pixel, use Half Pixel for all your profiles because you said big_smile your pc is powerful enought right? Thats important and good setting to use all the time if you can. Dont use Refinement until you dont know how it work and you can notice the effect, for more info about it ask to SVP Team.

About extra settings for EVR CP leave it for the end, concentrate now only on SVP, find smooth quality you want then later we go for Image Quality ( extra ).
About LAV Filters, its better for Media Player HC. PotPlayer and my Guide not need it.

Thanks.

Greetings to you all guys and SVP Team big_smile.

Today i was experimenting with somethings and i want to show you all what it was.. i can say that im kinda happy with the results until now.

Again this is my PC specs:

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/h/c/9/xhc9saxl3bz3fm5m4hghh_s.png

i have lowered some my CPU overclocking to do and demostrate more the quality of the test.

I was testing some movies that were encoded at some popular Frames and resolutions, like for example 23.976 fps, 24 fps, 25 fps and 29.97 fps at 1280x720, 1280x544, 1280x536, 1920x1080 and 1920x800. Using my Guide, new settings, SVP off and on, EVR CP, Nvidia driver 304.79 and Custom SVP Profiles for each kind of Resolution / Frames based of my system.

Here the results:

Note: the screenshots were taking WITHOUT PAUSE THE MOVIE, it was in real time while the file(s) playing.

This time i was using EVR CP and not MadVR, changed the PotPlayers Built-in Video Decoder - FFmpeg Decoder Type 2 for H264/AVC1 to PotPlayers Nvidia Cuda Decoder http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/y/6/q/xy6qi9qbp7xghdyw4qr_s.jpg .Using Nvidia drivers 304.79 and my custom Video Color Settings ( Nvidias Video Color Settings ) to enhance the image quality. 

Results:

1- Real Steel x264 720p 23.976 fps DTS

File size : 5.96 GiB
    Duration : 2h 6mn
    Overall bit rate : 6 730 Kbps
    Movie name : RS.byspeedupload.BRRip.720p.Sub
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-01-04 18:25:07
    Writing application : mkvmerge v5.1.0 ('And so it goes') built on Nov 28 2011 23:58:28
    Writing library : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0
  Video #1
    Format settings, ReFrames : 12 frames
    Muxing mode : Header stripping
    Bit rate : 5 222 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 544 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.313
    Stream size : 4.51 GiB (76%)
    Title : RS.byspeedupload.BRRip.720p.Sub
    Writing library : x264 core 118 r2085 8a62835
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=12 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=11 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.95:0.02 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=240 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5222 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.70 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=38000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=2:1.20
  Audio #2
    Muxing mode : Header stripping
    Stream size : 1.34 GiB (22%)
  Text #3
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
    Language : Spanish

My Guide 2.0 + EVR CP + PotPlayers Nvidia Cuda Decoder + Nvidia Drivers 304.79 + my custom Video Color Settings + SVP off:
http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/9/z/h/x9zhrritw1j9wu6fuer_s.jpg

My Guide 2.0 + EVR CP + PotPlayers Nvidia Cuda Decoder + Nvidia Drivers 304.79 + my custom Video Color Settings + SVP on:
http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/t/o/z/xtozm2blkkm7kaq6u4vg5_s.jpg

2- Tron Legacy x264 720p 23.976 fps DTS   

File size : 6.54 GiB
    Duration : 2h 5mn
    Overall bit rate : 7 476 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-03-01 01:21:24
    Writing application : mkvmerge v3.2.0 ('Beginnings') 编译于 Feb 12 2010 16:46:17
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1
  Video #1
    Format settings, ReFrames : 9 frames
    Bit rate : 5 965 Kbps
    Height : 720 pixels
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.270
    Stream size : 5.09 GiB (78%)
    Writing library : x264 core 114 r1900 60ef1f8
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=9 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.10:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5965 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=1 / qpmax=63 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=40000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.80
    Forced : Yes
  Audio #2
    Stream size : 1.32 GiB (20%)
    Title : English DTS-HDMA core 5.1 1509Kbps
    Forced : Yes

My Guide 2.0 + EVR CP + PotPlayers Nvidia Cuda Decoder + Nvidia Drivers 304.79 + my custom Video Color Settings + SVP off:
http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/l/q/6/xlq66pz011g3w1eqp5q7j_s.jpg

My Guide 2.0 + EVR CP + PotPlayers Nvidia Cuda Decoder + Nvidia Drivers 304.79 + my custom Video Color Settings + SVP on:
http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/r/y/a/xrya9ipbzxfgv1969wg3_s.jpg

3- Borderlands 2 Wimoweh Trailer mp4 720p 23.976 fps AAC

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 45.4 MiB
    Duration : 2mn 10s
    Overall bit rate : 2 914 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-11 01:23:10
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-07-11 01:23:10
    gsst : 0
    gstd : 130773
    gssd : BADC21DE4HH1342106877654167
    gshh : o-o.preferred.mia04s09.v19.lscache7.c.youtube.com
  Video #1
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=60
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 2 760 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 7 280 Kbps
    Height : 720 pixels
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.100
    Stream size : 43.0 MiB (95%)
  Audio #2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate : 151 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 233 Kbps
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Stream size : 2.36 MiB (5%)
    Title : IsoMedia File Produced by Google, 5-11-2011
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-07-11 01:23:10

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/g/v/x/xgvxlmk9i2uwzfkqo15cf_s.jpg

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/k/r/6/xkr6z5os5c025o54kq6cg_s.jpg

4- Transformers x264 1080p 23.976 fps DTS

Format version : Version 1
    File size : 15.2 GiB
    Duration : 2h 23mn
    Overall bit rate : 15.1 Mbps
    Movie name : Shadowlord
    Encoded date : UTC 2008-12-24 11:38:30
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.4.1 ('Use Me') built on Dec  5 2008 18:30:05
    Attachment : Yes
  Video #1
    Bit rate : 12.4 Mbps
    Height : 800 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.336
    Stream size : 12.4 GiB (82%)
    Title : Transformers
    Writing library : x264 core 65 r998M 6768543
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=1.2:0.2 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=crf / crf=21.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=38000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
  Audio #2
    Bit rate : 755 Kbps
    Stream size : 774 MiB (5%)
    Title : Español DTS 5.1
  Audio #3
    Stream size : 1.51 GiB (10%)
    Title : Inglés DTS 5.1
  Audio #4
    ID : 4
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 197 MiB (1%)
    Title : Inglés: Comentarios Director
  Text #5
    ID : 5
    Title : Español
  Text #6
    ID : 6
    Title : Inglés

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/i/g/j/xigjp2w2sqsyuf1qzu5_s.jpg

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/l/v/h/xlvhr7dski6gm6510ka_s.jpg

5- Pioneer Kuro Best i demo m2ts 1080p 29.97 AC3

Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 695 MiB
    Duration : 10mn 53s
    Overall bit rate : 8 919 Kbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps
  Video #4113
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate : 8 215 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 25.0 Mbps
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.132
    Stream size : 647 MiB (93%)
    Writing library : x264 core 66 r1114M a933a3e
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=8215 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
  Audio #4352
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 19.9 MiB (3%)

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/i/u/o/xiuorrl08zy2y456k4wiz_s.jpg

http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/a/e/x/xaexcnuo2gfgcnsaykusc_s.jpg

Ok this is pretty good for me, before and like i said many times use EVR CP + lastest Nvidia video drivers with my actual PC was very problematic, then MadVR was my only solution helping me to keep my SVPs custom profiles on those file types. I see that Nvidia video drivers 304.79 are good for me, also i discover that using PotPlayers Nvidia Cuda Decoder give me better performance and for my eyes i can see better smooth quality, maybe it does not have much sense for some of you all but for my eyes its, you should try it by yourself to see if you can spot the effect as i do. Believe me comparing the settings from my Guide and adding this new settings / test for me is better and i will keep testing more on it to see how it going. I have months without can use EVR CP as Video Renderer using previous drivers until that one ( 304.79 ) and my actual GPUs / CPU.

I said as well that using for example Half Pixel (disable) and 16 px. Average 0 on SVP with 1080p, was very problematic, sometimes impossible, i have to use less settings to can have more performance and make it playable. As you can see on the screenshots in my test i was able at least to use One Pixel and 16 px. Average 0, but it was giving me sometimes while playing the file high spikes on one GPU and that time when it happen i noticed framedrop for less of one second and everything back to normal again. Its ok, normal, not fault of SVP no no, is my PC smile.

IF YOU ALL PEOPLES WANT TO TRY THIS AS WELL, PLEASE POST HERE ALL YOUR RESULTS. Thanks.

Greetings to all and SVP Team.
Updates next week smile.

Maken1
Hey, camrad!
Did you interesting this guide? Where is continue of your guide?