1 (edited by Bart 06-06-2012 15:47:16)

Topic: Feature request: HDR Video quality improvement

Hi,

First of all amazing job done with this filter. It does a really great job even on slow motions out of 1080p@25fps. Well done.
I have another use for smoothvideo that could really help.
In the next video the HDR video feature of Magic Lantern for Canon DSLRs is explained.
https://vimeo.com/33987353

So it results in a stream of 2 exposures exchanging each other at 25fps1080p so average 12,5 frames at one iso, 12,5 frames at the other iso.
This demo is made by interpolating an extra frame on the even exposures and the same on the odd exposures.
After that HDR video is made by merging a real frame from one stream with an interpolated frame from the other.

What happens is ghosting because the interpolated frame doesn't really match the real opposite frame with too fast or hard to predict motion.

My request is that the interpolation is aimed at matching the motion factors from the opposite frame (with other exposure) instead of interpolation previous and next from just one stream.

so
frame1 iso 100
frame2 iso 800
frame3 iso 100
frame4 iso 800

Interpolation between 1 and 3 (iso 100) will take motion vectors from frame 2 (iso800) and create interpolated iso100 frame 2i from 1 and 3 and motion factors from frame 2 (iso800)

I hope this is clear.
I asked subjunk for this before, but it's not schedule for implementation into interframe.
I hope someone else can help here.
I will upload some samples to experiment on and add them later.

Thanks
Bart

Re: Feature request: HDR Video quality improvement

Bart
I hope this is clear.

Not really. What do you mean by "motion vectors from frame 2"? Vectors between what and what, from 2 to 4?  hmm

I asked subjunk for this before, but it's not schedule for implementation into interframe.

Obviously that's because of really small number of people who need this.

I've got Olympus and I'm a looser lol

I'm afraid if you can't find support at doom9 you wouldn't find it here.

Wow that's a warm welcome. Thanks.
Right, 168k vimeo viewers and 25 blogposts globally is still a small group compared to the impact on mankind of SVP.

It seems obvious that you don't have any interest so I wont bother you with this again.

Good luck

Bart

Chainik wrote:

Bart
I hope this is clear.

Not really. What do you mean by "motion vectors from frame 2"? Vectors between what and what, from 2 to 4?  hmm

Obviously that's because of really small number of people who need this.

I've got Olympus and I'm a looser lol

I'm afraid if you can't find support at doom9 you wouldn't find it here.

It should be obvious to anyone that SVP and some tricky processing of video made by custom firmware for Canon DSLRs have not much on common.
So I just don't get what exactly you're looking for here.

For the custom avisynth script? then doom9 is the right place to ask for it, not here.
For some additional development in SVPflow libs to make your processing better / faster / etc? write an e-mail with all details.