Topic: Audio out of sync on some files (mp4/mkv) but not others (avi)

I noticed that for most MKV or MP4 files, the audio is out of sync with the video about 200ms, but for avi files it isn't the case.

I am not getting frame drops or anything like that, and it seems like for 720p or 1080p mkv/mov (hires quicktime trailers) the audio lag is exactly the same.

I tried using both Haali splitter and the built in MPC source filters, but the situation is the same.  I found the MPC source filter worked better than Haali with less crashing when skipping around in a movie (and allows for keyframe jumps, which haali did not).  Is there a fix for this? Or do I need to just offset the audio 200ms for every mkv file in MPC?

I did also tried MadVR and LAV and both of those saw higher CPU usage with negligible performance gains, so I didn't continue using them. LAV was very stutterish.

Re: Audio out of sync on some files (mp4/mkv) but not others (avi)

spotpuff
What config of your system?

Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz
8GB RAM
Radeon 5850
OCZ Agility 240GB

spotpuff
Your system has high performance. It is enough for SVP.
To avoid frame drops I recommend to change renderer to EVR with fullscreen D3D or to madVR.

do I need to just offset the audio 200ms for every mkv file in MPC?
I don't see you video. If audio delay is fixed and not growing then you can use video delay option.

LAV was very stutterish
It is strange. Did you enable GPU-acceleration in LAV and disable internal decoders in madVR?

I'll have to double check my settings when I get home from work today.

I'm trying SVP 3.1 with the "memory leak" patch v2 and LAV and MadVR now and everything seems to be running fine.

Even though everything is smooth, SOME MKV files are still giving me audio delay issues (but not others).  almost all SD clips run fine, some 720p MKV run fine, some 1080p MKV/MOV run fine, but some are still giving a fixed delay (it's not always 200ms; usually between 100-200ms but seems constant), though.

spotpuff
If you use MPC-HC then you can adjust delay by hot-keys "Gey -" and "Grey +".

Yeah I use the + and - on the numberpad. Not sure what you mean by "grey" but yeah it makes it easier than having to go into the sound options every time.

I mean +/- on the numpad smile as you...

I also had sync problems with some files when using the LAV Audio Filter. Specially after jumping forward or backward in playback.
So I switched back to good old AC3 Filter. No more sync problems.

http://i.imgur.com/akBfk.jpg

Yeah I'm still getting issues on some files, usually in the neighborhood of 150-200ms. It seems to happen after opening the file and SVP says "preparing to smooth.." and then switches to ~60fps output.  This causes a minor delay in some files for some reason. I have no idea why or why not; it happens in even SD files now.

spotpuff
Without SVP synchro is good?

Will double check; haven't not used SVP since I installed it, but I think so yeah.  What I don't get is it isn't every file. Some files play fine, at least for a while, and then the sync issues start up.

FDisk
Did you try ffdshow audio decoder?

14 (edited by spotpuff 23-03-2012 00:35:10)

I'm using FFDShow for audio yeah.

Hmm, it looks like some files aren't syncing properly possibly because of FFDshow video.

With MPC-HC all filters enabled, video/audio is in sync, with SVP disabled bu FFDShow enabled, video/audio is out of sync, especially on 720p files. Playback is smooth it's just out of sync.  An video delay of -200ms works for 720p files it seems, but then on SD files the sync is not necessary.

Definitely an issue with mp4, SVP and ffdshow; was watching a show in avi and the recent switch to mp4 meant the show switched formats and now there's a 200ms delay.

Doh. Oh well.  200ms it is.

Hi,  I notice this problem happens no MPC-HC since last week, but everything is ok before.

Open MPC-HC with SVP disabled, the video/audio out of sync problem would no more appear both on 720p or 1080p.

It's interesting when I tried Potplayer with SVP instead, the sync problem had gone and the video is smooth, too. But the cost of using Potplayer is I have to meet crash with some video files opened.

My system is  :

i7 860 @ 3.8GHZ
12G RAM
Radeon HD6850

I tried to reinstall the SVP with no re-Clock, but it seems no help on it.

The latency I tested yesterday night is about 1390ms to 1500ms

It's weird, maybe I should reinstall my OS this weekend. But I can't understand what make the video later so much.

By the way, I've tried version 3.06, everything is ok....

I wanted to update and reply that with the latest update 3.1.2 everything is fine. MadVR was too demanding for some files so I just disabled it; smooth FPS > madvr for me.