Re: madVR and SVP

THX-UltraII
We does internal Beta-testing. Beta versions is available only for Beta-testers. Next "casting" for Beta-testers will be after SVP 3.1 release. If you want to be a Beta-tester write to my e-mail.

MAG79
Send you a email.

53 (edited by THX-UltraII 19-02-2012 06:10:12)

Some of the settings are getting in place and I understand them better now. (still a lot of settings which I do not have any clue what they exactly do). But I ll need some more explanation about the framerate option and what they do exactly.

For instance, I ve noticed that 'to screen refresh rate' gives me the smoothest picture but more artifacts. I ve played with the 24=>60 2M and 1M options. I assume that with 1M more original frames are showed? 1M gives almost no artifacts but the picture is not so smooth. And what are the options to screen refresh rate/2 and /3 for and what do they do?

And with the 24=>60 option I assume I constantly have to manually swith between 24->60 and 25->60 because I have both 23,976 and 25fps material? And how does 30fps (TV) get handled with 24 or 25->60?

THX-UltraII
'to screen refresh rate' gives me the smoothest picture but more artifacts
Yes. You are right.

1M gives almost no artifacts but the picture is not so smooth
Yes. You are right.

I assume that with 1M more original frames are showed?
No. More original frames are in 2m-mode.

what are the options to screen refresh rate/2 and /3 for and what do they do?
It is synchro-modes for displays with high refresh rates or for use with deinterlacing (refresh rate / 2).

how does 30fps (TV) get handled with 24 or 25->60?
These modes are for 60 fps monitors only and for TVs with 30i mode.

MAG79
So what do you suggest to use for my display device, a digital projector which supports 23,24,25,30 and 60Hz?

THX-UltraII
I recommend to use 60 Hz mode with 'to screen refresh rate' setting.
If you want to more quality then 48 Hz and 50 Hz for 24 fps and 25 fps video. Setting value  is the same: 'to screen refresh rate'.

57 (edited by THX-UltraII 20-02-2012 12:24:45)

MAG79
but tha s the problem, my display device (JVC RS25 projector) does not support 48 and 50Hz, but I do want to have more quality than to screen refresh rate@60 because this just gives way too much artifacts.

Use 1M mode.

Noweol wrote:

Use 1M mode.

just founnd out that 50hz works on my projector (47,952/48 does not). Can I use 50Hz as output for NVIDIA and use 'to screen feresh rate' for all content inclusinf 23,976 movies?
@Noweol: 24=>60 1M ust gives me too many artifacts while 24=>60 2M is not smooth engh for me smile
This is why I thought to use 'to screen refresh rate' with 190x1080@50 as output profile for NVIDIA as 'compromise'.

THX-UltraII
50hz works on my projector (47,952/48 does not)
My LCD-monitor is the same: 50Hz works fine, 48Hz does not. You can try 72Hz mode for video 24fps x 3.

too many artifacts
Does tearing test works fine at your projector? Vertical line must be moving smoothly without stops.
If not then you need to obtain video sync with your screen.

My LCD-monitor is the same: 50Hz works fine, 48Hz does not. You can try 72Hz mode for video 24fps x 3.

72Hz is not supported by my projector. Only 24, 50 and 60 (and everything that s close to them) is supported.

Does tearing test works fine at your projector? Vertical line must be moving smoothly without stops.
If not then you need to obtain video sync with your screen.

Tearing works fine without stops and smooth

But the thing I m not getting is the frequencies that I m 'upscaling' to. I m now playing with 1080p50 NVIDIA profile. ''Fresh'' and ''MonfreqD3D'' both has the same value (49,95) so this seems fine.
I also get no dropped frames during a movie reported by madVR. The only thing I don t get is that my movies run at 23,976fps and I m 'upgrading' this to 50. How could this be ok? I thought that it ALWAYS has to be a double, tripple etc. to ensure smooth playback?

THX-UltraII
But the thing I m not getting is the frequencies that I m 'upscaling' to
Give me an example. I don't understand you without any numbers and screenshots.

I don t get is that my movies run at 23,976fps and I m 'upgrading' this to 50. How could this be ok?
If smooth coefficient is not integer. It is fractional. See detailed info from SVP menu.

Give me an example. I don't understand you without any numbers and screenshots.

I think you don t understand what I m trying to say here (wish I could speak Russian:)). What I m saying is that 23,976 material needs to be played at 23,976 or a multiple of this correct? My projector does not support 47,952Hz or 71,928Hz. It only support 23,976, 50 and 60Hz (and everything that s close to them). So how can it be going right when choosing 50 or 60 Hz on my display device (so NVIDIA as 1080p50 or 1080p59 (or 60)?

btw. Did you already test SVP with the latest NVIDIA driver that was just released and see performance improvements or decresement?

THX-UltraII
I don't understand you because you say "Tearing works fine without stops" and next "I m not getting is the frequencies that I m 'upscaling' to". It is contradiction. Show me the screenshot when you not getting the frequency needed?

Best choice for 23.976 fps is multiple refresh rate. In your case when choose from 50 Hz and 59 Hz and 60 Hz I'd select 59 Hz (59.94). It has minimal denominator (2) in smooth coefficient (5:2).

Did you already test SVP with the latest NVIDIA driver that was just released and see performance improvements or decresement?
The anwer moved to the thread GPU-acceleration (OpenCL) performance at NVIDIA video adapters

I don't understand you because you say "Tearing works fine without stops" and next "I m not getting is the frequencies that I m 'upscaling' to". It is contradiction. Show me the screenshot when you not getting the frequency needed?

Best choice for 23.976 fps is multiple refresh rate. In your case when choose from 50 Hz and 59 Hz and 60 Hz I'd select 59 Hz (59.94). It has minimal denominator (2) in smooth coefficient (5:2).

Because we both not speak in our native languages things are passing each other here  smile
What I m trying to say is that a movie is 23,976 fps and that one have to play this on 23.976, 47.952 or 71.928Hz right? If I set SVP to 'to screen refresh rate' and my screen is on 59,94 this is not a double or tripple of 23.976 so how can this work out good? It seems like it does (because I have no tearing and dropped frames) but how is this going good? I don t understand because it does not make sense. Are you understanding now what I mean?

One more thing:
I want to give ReClock a try. I need the spdif optical core DD/DTS signal. Will I be able to make ReClock work?

THX-UltraII
I don t understand because it does not make sense.

Lets say we've got 1 fps video - 1 frame each second. With 5/2 frame interpolation the output'll be 2.5 fps:
1st frame - at time 0, 2nd - 0.4 second, 3rd - 0.8 second, 4th - 1.2 sec, 5th - 1.6 sec an so on.

Imagine that red circle is an object moving from left to right.
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=1248&download=1
In the interpolated frame sequence this object will be at positions of the black dot.

Post's attachments

frames.png, 2.28 kb, 237 x 147
frames.png 2.28 kb, 1339 downloads since 2012-02-27 

67 (edited by THX-UltraII 06-03-2012 12:15:23)

Chainik
thanks for your reply Chainik but I still don t understand it  sad

Let me try to explain again what I mean:
A Blu-Ray movie runs at 23,976fps. To display this the best way on a display without the use of SVP you would need to feed your display device with 23.976Hz, 47.952Hz or 71.928Hz correct?
When using SVP the best option is to double the frame rate right? (or of course choose to screen refresh rate when a display device supports 47.952Hz which is then the same as double frame rate I think?) So what if a display device, like my JVC projector, DOES NOT support 47.952Hz or 71.928Hz, but only supports 23.976Hz. Then I will have to use a Hz that is supported by my display device and that is 50, 59 or 60Hz. But this IS NOT a multiple of 23.976 so this can t be good right?

Please help me understand, what am I missing? Or am I correct with what I say here?

btw: I just bought a i7 2600k (only for SVP! smile)

THX-UltraII
But this IS NOT a multiple of 23.976 so this can t be good right?

It can be good smile On the image above 1 fps "video" is converted to 2.5 Hz "screen".
For the FI algorithm there's NO difference between rendering frame "135 and 1/2" right in the middle of frames 135 and 136 OR frame "135 and 431/1571"

69 (edited by THX-UltraII 07-03-2012 09:20:53)

Chainik
Now I understand (I think  big_smile)
So am I correct that it does not matter of I set my NIVIDIA output to 50, 59 or 60 (SVP on 'to screen refresh rate')? This is all ok to use?
If so, am I correct that a higher output (Hz) will give me smoother picture ('more' SVP result), higher CPU usage and more artifacts?
So 50Hz will give less smoothness (but still very smooth), less CPU usage and less artifacts and 59Hz will give me more smoothness, more artifacts and higher CPU usage?