1 (edited by sh4w 22-08-2012 12:11:46)

Topic: What are the *best* settings

So I've been using SVP for quite some time but I've been wondering what the absolute best settings are for 1080p video.
I have a 3770k @ 4.7 ghz and an N580GTX Lightning OCed so you can pretty much throw anything at the hardware.
If someone knows the best settings for 1080p I'd appreciate if you can list them.  big_smile

If I use the "default" settings and set "decrease grid step" to "by two global refinement" and "complicated" shader, my CPU hovers at only around 10-12% and my GPU at ~20%.

Re: What are the *best* settings

sh4w
In two words best settings are marked "by default".

But different settings gives various kinds of artifatcts for different movie types.
It is correct to tell about best settings:
- for documental movies (best fluidity);
- for anime (best sharpness);
- for blockbusters (adaptive smoothness for mask artifacts);

my CPU hovers at only around 10-12% and my GPU at ~20%.
Is it bad? hmm

MAG79 wrote:

my CPU hovers at only around 10-12% and my GPU at ~20%.
Is it bad? hmm

No, I just thought that maybe there are some special settings that use more CPU/GPU and decrease the amount of artifacts or something like that, because I still have a lot of CPU/GPU capacity left.  smile

sh4w
What video material are you viewing?
And what kind of artifacts the most annoying for you?

5 (edited by sh4w 22-08-2012 13:08:53)

MAG79 wrote:

sh4w
What video material are you viewing?
And what kind of artifacts the most annoying for you?

Mainly stuff like Game of Thrones or series like How I met your Mother/Community/The Big Bang Theory and series similar to that.
The annoying artifacts are those that you can see when something is moving infront a complex background.

6 (edited by raymondkwan 22-08-2012 13:37:40)

sh4w wrote:

If I use the "default" settings and set "decrease grid step" to "by two global refinement" and "complicated" shader, my CPU hovers at only around 10-12% and my GPU at ~20%.

Really!? Are you sure u really have turn on SVP? hmm that's impressive

I use 2500k@4.5g with HD4850(no OpenCL acc.), MPC-HC, EVR-Custom, LAV+ffdshow raw filter
watch 1080p@3X Mbps
CPU usage around 6X to 80% with all default setting and set to One pixel
CPU usage exceed 99% (lag) with all default setting...  sad

7 (edited by sh4w 22-08-2012 14:13:09)

raymondkwan wrote:
sh4w wrote:

Really!? Are you sure u really have turn on SVP? hmm that's impressive

I use 2500k@4.5g with HD4850(no OpenCL acc.), MPC-HC, EVR-Custom, LAV+ffdshow raw filter
watch 1080p@3X Mbps
CPU usage around 6X to 80% with all default setting and set to One pixel
CPU usage exceed 99% (lag) with all default setting...  sad

3770k is a lot faster than 2500k if they are on the same clock speed (about 13% faster I think). I'm also watching 1080p content but really high quality (12GB+ for 1 hour, bluray rip) and my CPU isn't sweating at all   hmm
Also, if I understood right you cannot use openCL? Maybe that's why your CPU is spiking so high, because my GPU is also at 20-30% load.

Edit: http://sh4w0r.bplaced.net/Unbenannt.png
that screen should show what I'm talking about

8 (edited by raymondkwan 22-08-2012 14:47:43)

sh4w wrote:

No, I just thought that maybe there are some special settings that use more CPU/GPU and decrease the amount of artifacts or something like that, because I still have a lot of CPU/GPU capacity left. 

Use MadVR
Upscale non 1080p video using resize in ffdshow(U can choose other decoder/filter?)

(Joke)Motion estimation accuracy: quarter pixel     originalFPS x2 x3 x4

Unbenannt.png cannot access...
Would u mind telling me the CPU & GPU usage while using SVP without OpenCL @1080p
Thanks a lot! smile

9 (edited by sh4w 22-08-2012 16:34:28)

raymondkwan wrote:
sh4w wrote:

No, I just thought that maybe there are some special settings that use more CPU/GPU and decrease the amount of artifacts or something like that, because I still have a lot of CPU/GPU capacity left. 

Use MadVR
Upscale non 1080p video using resize in ffdshow(U can choose other decoder/filter?)

(Joke)Motion estimation accuracy: quarter pixel     originalFPS x2 x3 x4

Unbenannt.png cannot access...
Would u mind telling me the CPU & GPU usage while using SVP without OpenCL @1080p
Thanks a lot! smile

Maybe u can access now: http://i.imgur.com/jWtGt.jpg

I cannot use MadVR since I have a Wide Gamut monitor and need color management. I tried using color management with MadVR but I have some problems with it that I can't solve right now so MadVR isn't an option.
CPU usage without OpenCL @ 1080p is 35-40%

I just ran SVPMark for the first time, here are my scores in case anyone is interested  tongue  :

Synthetic CPU: MC 2892
Synthetic GPU: MG 5176
       Real-Life:  FG 3421

11 (edited by travolter 23-08-2012 09:09:35)

I wonder if SVP is used in overclocking forums now wink
For use max settings you need really fast/high-end machine.
Personally I enjoy max smoothness but I have to resize everything to 720 or my Q9550 will suffer a lot. I dont have GPU processing available.

travolter wrote:

I dont have GPU processing available.

same here neutral 

Synthetic CPU: MC 2218
Synthetic GPU: N/A
Real-life: 1781 mad

sh4w
Game of Thrones or series like How I met your Mother/Community/The Big Bang Theory and series similar to that

The best torrents of The Big Bang Theory has 1080i:

Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First

It is mean that you not need in SVP, hardware deinterlacing is enough to get 60 fps (59.94).

Game of Thrones too:

1920x1080i at 29.970 fps

So. You NOT need SVP for them. Use HW deinterlacing in LAV.

Another side is Community. The best torrent I can find has properties:

1280x720 at 23.976 fps

SVP is needed.

The annoying artifacts are those that you can see when something is moving infront a complex background.
Maybe you are facing with jerkiness?
Try to run tearing test (Ctrl-Win-T) and look at smoothness of movements of orange line.

raymondkwan
You can do this in SVP. Upscaling will done automatically.
1. Change hidden setting AllowUpsize=1 (tray menu - Information - Hidden settings)
2. Choose in profile settings window - Decrease frame size: to screen size.

14 (edited by sh4w 24-08-2012 12:13:25)

MAG79 wrote:

sh4w
Game of Thrones or series like How I met your Mother/Community/The Big Bang Theory and series similar to that

The best torrents of The Big Bang Theory has 1080i:

Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First

It is mean that you not need in SVP, hardware deinterlacing is enough to get 60 fps (59.94).

Game of Thrones too:

1920x1080i at 29.970 fps

So. You NOT need SVP for them. Use HW deinterlacing in LAV.

Game of Thrones season 1 was released on BluRay (1080p, not 1080i). You can search on pirate bay for "Game of Thrones S01 1080p Blu-ray Remux" and you will find it.
I will try the tearing test.

edit:
I think my problem can only be solved by getting a 120Hz monitor and interpolating the video to 120 fps. I just need more frames I guess.

sh4w

...like trees / leaves etc. It's a common problem and there're no ways to get rid of it completely.
Using 21th or 23th "SVP-shaders" and "decrease grid step" option is the best you can do.

Chainik wrote:

sh4w

...like trees / leaves etc. It's a common problem and there're no ways to get rid of it completely.
Using 21th or 23th "SVP-shaders" and "decrease grid step" option is the best you can do.

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for  big_smile

17 (edited by THX-UltraII 13-09-2012 10:06:43)

I m running a 2600K oc-ed with GTX460@stock speed and I ve tested a lot with the SVP settings. The only Frame Interpolation Mode that gives me NOT A SINGLE VISIBLE ARTIFACT during a 2 hours full HD Blu Ray movie is 2M. I know this isn t the smoothest Frame Interpolation Mode that SVP offers (it s even the least smoothest) but I ve add some (cpu internsive) SVP settings on top of the 2M settings to give me a little better smoothness:

SVP shader: standard
target frame rate: to screen refresh rate (which is 59,92 in my case)
motion vectors grid: 8 px. small o
decrease grid step: by two with global refinement
search radius: large
motion vector precision: half pixel
artifact masking: off

This maxes my CPU to approx 55-60% (75% at heavy scenes) and gives me no dropped frames or presentation glitches reported by madVR.

I know that Frame Interpolation Mode 1M or Adaptive gives a way more smooth picture but I want an artifact free picture so you then stuck with 2M. 1M just gives me a little too much artifacts. I wish there was a 1.5M option so I could check if this gives no artifacts and of course just a little better smoothness then 2M.

On top of this I enable a min setting of FI on my JVC RS45 projector and the result is artifact free picture with quite some smoothness. Of course

THX-UltraII
I wish there was a 1.5M option
There are some modifications of SVP 3.0.7 with custom 1m mode from gaunt.
You can try it.

MAG79 wrote:

THX-UltraII
I wish there was a 1.5M option
There are some modifications of SVP 3.0.7 with custom 1m mode from gaunt.
You can try it.

Can you help me on my way how to make this work? My native language is Dutch so I don t understand the topic, not even with a google translation sad

THX-UltraII
1. Install 3.0.7 (it can work together with SVP 3.1.2, but from another folder). One version at a time. Close one - run another. And vice versa
2. Replace some files. In your case you must replace file MSmoothFps_1mm1m.avs
3. Run SVP-Manager and choose 1m from profile settings window

MAG79 wrote:

THX-UltraII
1. Install 3.0.7 (it can work together with SVP 3.1.2, but from another folder). One version at a time. Close one - run another. And vice versa
2. Replace some files. In your case you must replace file MSmoothFps_1mm1m.avs
3. Run SVP-Manager and choose 1m from profile settings window

Can I also make changes to the current SVP 3.1.2 version to achieve some kind of '1.5M mode'?

THX-UltraII
No. You can't. SVP 3.1 do not allow change frame times. You may tune up frame times in SVP 3.0 and only after that give us AVS-script to implement it in SVP 3.1 internal constants

23 (edited by THX-UltraII 17-09-2012 15:03:00)

MAG79
thxz MAG. I will wait for a future release where you hopefully will implement some kind of 1.5m mode because doing it myself is not going to work (PC noob here smile).