1 (edited by antonhavree 15-02-2024 19:48:03)

Topic: Your recommended settings for movies. And what to change

So, as the title says. what would be the best possible settings for movies?

Here is a picture of my current settings:
https://i.imgur.com/hMzACtG.png

Along with my specs which i'd consider medium range at this year.

CPU: i9-9900k
Ram: 32GB @ 4600Mhz
GPU: RTX 2080

My main priority is to minimize artifacts as much as possible and then make sure it feels smooth and not choppy.

From my settings what would you consider to change for less artifacts?

What would be the best possible settings for as few artifacts as possible and which settings would one change to make it smoother without increasing the artifacts as much as possible? (or to lower the load overall on PC if mine can't handle it)

Reasons for asking. I was only able to find older posts which gave a lot of different results. Some, with barely any artifacts but rather choppy. And some with the opessite which i can understand as it does come down to personal prefference what is acceptable. Couldn't really find anything with settings to minize artifacts and information of what to tone down to increase smoothness as so on.

Thank you all in advance and hope this post can potentially help people in the future.

Re: Your recommended settings for movies. And what to change

antonhavree wrote:

My main priority is to minimize artifacts as much as possible and then make sure it feels smooth and not choppy.

From my settings what would you consider to change for less artifacts?

Looks mostly good. I think it's similar to my settings before I started using RIFE, but honestly I don't remember them exactly as it has been a long time. RIFE through SVP, is a huge upgrade over traditional SVP, but if you watch 4K content at 4K, then I don't think the 2080 is strong enough, I have a 3090 and it's barely enough.

Consider changing Motion Vectors Grid to 28 or 32, the larger it is, the less visible artifacts from what I remember.

Motion vectors precision to One pixel, instead of half.

Artifact masking to 400 instead of 200 (strong is 200, strongest is 1000). Check the image below for how to do that, scroll down all the way until you find your TITLE name there, then go up to fi_masking and change it from 200 to custom value.

Strongest (1000) causes smoothness issues from what I remember, but between 400 and 700 was a great testing place for me.

Here's an image to show you all my settings, based on memory though, as I don't use them anymore.

https://i.imgur.com/tQSh1Vs.jpeg

Looks mostly good. I think it's similar to my settings before I started using RIFE, but honestly I don't remember them exactly as it has been a long time. RIFE through SVP, is a huge upgrade over traditional SVP, but if you watch 4K content at 4K, then I don't think the 2080 is strong enough, I have a 3090 and it's barely enough.

Consider changing Motion Vectors Grid to 28 or 32, the larger it is, the less visible artifacts from what I remember.

Motion vectors precision to One pixel, instead of half.

Artifact masking to 400 instead of 200 (strong is 200, strongest is 1000). Check the image below for how to do that, scroll down all the way until you find your TITLE name there, then go up to fi_masking and change it from 200 to custom value.

Strongest (1000) causes smoothness issues from what I remember, but between 400 and 700 was a great testing place for me.

I've done some testing and i find these settings to be the better for my use case

Frame interpolations: Adaptive (uniform - 1m - 2m)
Custom artifcat masking at 550
Changed vector precision to one pixel
and motion vector grid to 28

And rest is essentially your settings. Which works really well for my use.

I've tried using Rife Engine but yea, 2080 is barely enough for 1080p let alone 4k content from my testing.

Now ofcourse, if anyone else has more recommendations to try out i'd welcome it.

Blackfyre wrote:

I think it's similar to my settings before I started using RIFE, but honestly I don't remember them exactly as it has been a long time. RIFE through SVP, is a huge upgrade over traditional SVP, but if you watch 4K content at 4K, then I don't think the 2080 is strong enough, I have a 3090 and it's barely enough.

hey im using rife for vulkan with an amd card (6900xt) and rife model 4.9, are there any better models available? smile

framo wrote:

are there any better models available? smile

Better than RIFE? Nope, nothing that I know of is better right now.