Topic: Unrepairable choppy video?

Most of the videos I frame interpolate on the fly or transcode work out pretty well.  If I have 30fps video, I can translate it into 60, 90, 120 fps etc. and it seems to add/fill in intermediate frames because, as I increase the frame rate, I can slow the video playback time down more and more and still get a smooth video.  This goes as well for say an old 15 fps video, etc.  That said, there are a small number of videos that simply will stay choppy no matter what I do.  I can convert it to even 240 fps and it is just as choppy as the 30 fps original. 

Is there anything to do with these stubborn videos?  Typically they are 30 fps vids.  My guess is that is the "choppiness" is "baked in" to an already enhanced frame rate, meaning that a 10 fps of 15 fps video is choppy simply because the frame rate is low, and that SVP frame interpolation works because it increases the frame rate and fills in intermediate frames.  No so with the videos that are already 30 fps.  Any ideas on what I could do with these vids to make them smooth would be great..

Re: Unrepairable choppy video?

Thanks for all the responses.  An idea came upon me that, if I had a video that ran at 30 frames per second and it was so choppy that it seemed to be running at 5 fps, what might be happening is that it really was a 5 fps video running at 30 fps, meaning that every frame was being repeated 6 times.  Sure enough, I progressed the video one frame at a time and that was the case.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you used SVP frame interpolation on this video to double the frame rate to 60 fps, what you would effectively be doing is simply doubling each of those static frames succeeding in creating 12 static frames before SVP could create a new interpolated frame.  Therefore, you would have 12 static frames, one interpolated frame, 12 more static frames, one interpolated frame, etc.  So no wonder doubling or tripling the frame rate has little to no effect on the choppiness.

My solution to this was to downgrade the video from 30 fps to 10 and then 5 fps thinking that, instead of getting 6 or so static frames for SVP to try to interpolate before it hit a new one, every frame would be different and this would solve the problem.  Unfortunately it didn't.  Anyway, please keep comin at me with the great ideas!  Thanks.

You are right. You need to get source video with original framerate.
Each frame must contain a motion.

4 (edited by jimdogma7 13-12-2023 15:19:57)

Thanks MAG79

UPDATE:  I did another test and this time reduced the frame rate from 30 fps to 5 fps but this time increased the bitrate to the maximum allowed with my conversion software (Bandicut).  Amazingly, it worked!  Much smoother.  It's actaully kind of a cool effect, the background blurs a bit as the camera pans targeting the central object of intererst, but the object of interest moves pretty fluidly.  I increased the frame rate to "frame rate x 4" with SVP so the resultant frame rate was 20 fps.  Even at 20 fps, through, it's still pretty smooth.  Increasing the frame rate conversion more than that did not improve the video any further nor did using the RIFE engine.  So I'm sticking with that for this video at least. 

The only main hiccup outstanding is that the flow of the video seems to "pulse" as it moves on...meaning that you get smooth video for a few seconds, then it pauses for a moment, then a few more seconds of smooth video, another pause, etc.  Still a little distracting but much, much better than the original video.