Topic: SVP 4 Linux - Can we expect an update ?

The last update was 2 years ago. I'm just worried we've been abandoned.

Is there some work going on for Linux ? Thanks.

Re: SVP 4 Linux - Can we expect an update ?

Pretty sure the linux version is abandonware at this point.

Linux version works just fine; are there any specific features you want?

Also he's giving the Linux version for free; reducing the incentive to work on it...

Mystery wrote:

Linux version works just fine; are there any specific features you want?

Also he's giving the Linux version for free; reducing the incentive to work on it...

Well, giving it for free was their decision, not mine, I do appreciate it, but I also have no problem paying for good software, thats why I own a license for Windows. I'll also buy apps on Flathub if that does eventually become a thing.

Now as for what I want, I'd love for this to work in the distant future, not become abandonware. Then I'd like the new stuff added for RTX cards as it seems there was a huge improvement and lastly packaging this as a Flatpak. The packaging to Flatpak seems doable, the devs here apparently don't want to do it, so I'm planning to try it myself once and if I have time.

RTX card improvement, is that Linux-specific or a feature to add for all versions?

Flatpak packaging; how is that going to integrate into the MPV rendering pipeline? Flatpak is designed to run apps in a sandbox, not integrate into other apps' pipelines like that. How would you plan to do that, and what would be the benefit?

I have to admit their Linux packaging is off-standards; direct port of the Windows philosophy.

6 (edited by LordKordus 26-07-2023 16:58:11)

Mystery wrote:

RTX card improvement, is that Linux-specific or a feature to add for all versions?

Flatpak packaging; how is that going to integrate into the MPV rendering pipeline? Flatpak is designed to run apps in a sandbox, not integrate into other apps' pipelines like that. How would you plan to do that, and what would be the benefit?

I have to admit their Linux packaging is off-standards; direct port of the Windows philosophy.

The RTX improvement is in SVP itself, some changelogs mentioned it. It's not Linux related.

Yep, I know about the sandbox but misunderstood how SVP works. The Flatpak runs but isn't able to communicate with MPV. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could make it work through some Portal or permission. I don't know, I'm an amateur. Packaging it as an AppImage was a matter of 5 minutes though, and it works, but that's not a big win.