Topic: BFI with SVP

I am using an LG C1 at 120hz and have recently being enlightened by various YouTube channels showing how to turn BFI on in the display itself. However it is not configurable in terms of how long to show the black frame. So it works well if showing 120fps at 120hz as the display refreshes at 240hz, half being black, half being the image. No flicker is noticeable here.

If I use BFI at eg 60hz or lower like 24hz the flicker is too annoying as the black frame is on screen for so long. I wanted to experiment with a software based mechanism for showing black frames for a configurable amount of time.

I would love to try SVP with 24fps content on a 120hz screen and try for example 3 out of every 5 frames showing the image, 2 out of every 5 showing black. Maybe even 4 out of 5 showing the image, 1 being black. To see which increases motion resolution with least noticible flicker.

Can this be done with SVP. I'm using SVP with MPC, madVR and vapoursynth and want to try without interpolation but simply BFI as I can see even a 60fps game with BFI looks as smooth as a 120hz FPS game.

Re: BFI with SVP

Black frames insertion (BFI) is work only if you see one picture then one black screen each by other. Video becoming like long subsequence of flashlights of pictures.
So, the best way is equal amount of images and black screens.

In case of your 120 Hz display you need to achieve 60 fps video with 60 inserted black frames in a second.

You need to use functions BlankClip and Inteleave.

Thanks a lot for that. Are those functions available within SVP (ie some BFI option) or would I need to create my own vapoursynth script?

mark007 wrote:

Thanks a lot for that. Are those functions available within SVP (ie some BFI option) or would I need to create my own vapoursynth script?

C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\script
look here