Topic: 4K Video is stuttering using madVR in MPC

My system is Intel Core i7 10700, 64GB RAM, RTX 3070. I tried to play 4K video (actually 3840x1584 HEVC x265) on my TV connected to my PC using HDMI optical cable, but it stuttering as hell and unwatchable using MPC+madVR, SVP index is ~0.70, CPU ~50% . Then, I tried changing the renderer to Enhanced Video Renderer. It works as expected, SVP index ~1, CPU ~10-15%. So, what is going on here with madVR?
I think my PC should be capable of playing this video since using other renderer works fine. What settings in madVR need to be configured?

2 (edited by farion 03-03-2022 12:46:26)

Re: 4K Video is stuttering using madVR in MPC

Use MPV instead MPC, write mpvconf select rendering device to utilize RTX 3070 instead of Intel-HD from Core i7 10700, using "d3d11 adapter" or "vulkan device". don't forget to set "video-sync=display-resample

you could use sript name glsl shaders like FSRCNN, KrigBilateral, SSimDownscaler FSR/CAS-Scaled, and etc. It works with SVP. Someone has been ask in MPV reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/mpv/comments/s … ;context=3

for user script you can download from mpv Github https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/ … er-shaders

on SVP I set Do framerate convertion Movie x2, Uniform(max fluidity), Shader Standart, Artifact masking Average, Motion vector precission One pixel, Motion vectors grid 8px small 0 or 6px small 2, decrease grid step By two with global refinement, search radius small and fast or average, wide search average, width top coarse level average or small.

On display Monitor/TV i set frequency to 48Hz cause on fast moving scene 48FPS seems more than enough

Video frame rate conversion doesn't trigger cause i'm limiting max for 30 FPS video.

edit i found interesting topic on internet, https://github.com/amariami/MPV-config- … /README.md

> What settings in madVR need to be configured?

everything under "scaling algorithms". setting everything to max values may slow down even rtx 3070. check GPU load in task manager.
what is the target frame rate?

For MadVR you can look at the render times in the overlay. ctrl + j

The render time needs to be less than the frame time.

For example if your aiming for 60fps(1000/60=16.67ms) then the render times needs to be less than 16ms.

If its near or above ~16ms then frames will be dropped and stutter will occur. You can reduce MadVR render times by lowering the MadVR settings.

5 (edited by kals 14-08-2022 16:26:04)

Try changing HDR in madVR to "passthrough" instead of "use pixel shaders" and make sure smooth motion is off ("smooth motion" is a madVR setting, not talking about SVP). I was also having issues with 4K HDR 90fps when I wasn't having performance issues before. I forgot I had those two settings on when I was testing some stuff earlier. I know madVR HDR tonemapping is a huge selling point but just compare it to passthrough anyway. If passthrough fixes your performance issues, try using ReShade as an alternative to pixel shaders.

Edit: This is in the case you forgot to mention you're trying to watch 4K HDR... If you're just watching regular 4K as your post suggests, then this won't help. Make sure madVR smooth motion is off regardless though.

Edit 2: Forgot to mention but even if you're watching 4K video on a 4K screen, there's a setting in "scaling algorithims -> image upscaling" that forces supersampling. Any of the "doubling" algorithms have a setting called "activate doubling/quadrupling" -> "always - supersampling" which means it'll supersample the 4K video regardless of screen resolution.

When I enabled it, the entire video went red and then crashed when I attempted to play. If you don't want to go through the settings like that, then a quick fix is to make sure upscaling is on something like Lanczos. Because you don't need upscaling for 4K video unless you have an 8K TV. For upscaling regular content, I prefer the look of Cubic (SoftCubic100) + SuperRes (different setting than supersampling, it's in "upscaling refinement") + a bit of Lumasharpen though instead of Lanczos or NGU.

Edit 3: In LAV Video Decoder, change "Hardware Acceleration" to "NVIDIA CUVID (old)" instead of "DXVA2 (copy-back)". CUVID helps a lot with 4K SVP. 480p/1080p 165fps SVP still works great without any dropped frames with CUVID too, so there's no downside that I know of.