1 (edited by jbiribi 28-10-2021 16:49:53)

Topic: 4K movies dropping frames

Some 4K movies are having a huge fps drop. This doesn't happens all times, but movies like Dune or The Green Knight are impossible to watch.

I have a very good hardware, with Ryzen 3700X, RTX 3070 Ti and 16 gb of ram

The configuration I use on SVP is:

https://imgur.com/G6WBqL4

Re: 4K movies dropping frames

Anyone?

Try to lower SVP profile settings.
For example, change Motion vector precision from Half pixel to One pixel.

4 (edited by otic 31-10-2021 10:57:11)

also, try to OC your RAM !!

I have i7 8700k @ 4,7 GHz and wasn't able to play 4K hdr 60 fps, until I OC my RAM to 3200Mhz (!) (just enabled XMP in BIOS)
People have here stronger CPUs like Ryzen 5900x and claimed the same thing- OC your RAM speed

I think the info about RAM speed should be sticked somewhere on the site, maybe? I've always thought that need fast and multicore CPU to achive playback of 4K hdr at 60 fps- that is ofcourse true, but didn't realized about RAM thing...

It looks like true. I've checked another rule for RAM:
Users told before the single channel mode for RAM can be the bottleneck and lead to frame drops.
The solution is to check it and to switch to double channel mode. It works for FullHD resolution.
You talk about 4K resolution. In general the solution is to increase RAM bandwidth.

MAG79 wrote:

Try to lower SVP profile settings.
For example, change Motion vector precision from Half pixel to One pixel.

Will I lose quality doing that?

7 (edited by jbiribi 31-10-2021 23:05:20)

otic wrote:

also, try to OC your RAM !!

I have i7 8700k @ 4,7 GHz and wasn't able to play 4K hdr 60 fps, until I OC my RAM to 3200Mhz (!) (just enabled XMP in BIOS)
People have here stronger CPUs like Ryzen 5900x and claimed the same thing- OC your RAM speed

I think the info about RAM speed should be sticked somewhere on the site, maybe? I've always thought that need fast and multicore CPU to achive playback of 4K hdr at 60 fps- that is ofcourse true, but didn't realized about RAM thing...

MAG79 wrote:

It looks like true. I've checked another rule for RAM:
Users told before the single channel mode for RAM can be the bottleneck and lead to frame drops.
The solution is to check it and to switch to double channel mode. It works for FullHD resolution.
You talk about 4K resolution. In general the solution is to increase RAM bandwidth.

My RAM is running at 3200 mhz on dual channel (two ram slots)

> Will I lose quality doing that?
Maybe a little. One pixel precision for 4K is visually is not dramatically differ from Half pixels.
But it works 2 times faster.

MAG79 wrote:

Maybe a little. One pixel precision for 4K is visually is not dramatically differ from Half pixels.

It runs way better with one pixel, but not perfect yet. What can I change next? And did you experience it with any movie too?

MAG79 wrote:

Any other tips?