851 (edited by oriento 25-09-2023 16:09:57)

Re: New RIFE filter - 3x faster AI interpolation possible in SVP!!!

i don't have conditions for any of the profiles, and "automatic" (the default one ?) doesn't have  an option for conditions
adding "expert add score" to a negative value for rife fixes it, i don't know if it was there before and has been deleted by mistake.

maybe when the score is similar, use the last used one ?

Thanks

Post's attachments

Sans titre.png 50.02 kb, 31 downloads since 2023-09-25 

852 (edited by dawkinscm 26-09-2023 14:59:37)

The good news is that a recent git update suggests that Rife 4.7 might be coming although I can't find any timescales to suggest how quickly that will happen. The bad news for me is that it's focussed on improving anime.

https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlrt/releases
Rife 4.7 https://github.com/AmusementClub/vs-mlr … l-20220923

854 (edited by dawkinscm 26-09-2023 19:19:49)

Thank you very much for this smile

After some testing it looks like the artefacts have been reduced in this model. The star field in Gravity no longer shimmers.  The intro to Blade Runner 2023 where they fly over tiles used to shimmer a lot, but now it only shimmers a little when the ship flies over. Need to do more testing but this is an obvious improvement over 4.6.

This version seems to run worse than 4.6 for me. GPU usage is higher. It doesn't seem to be much higher, but it's noticeable

856 (edited by dawkinscm 26-09-2023 22:57:08)

DragonicPrime wrote:

This version seems to run worse than 4.6 for me. GPU usage is higher. It doesn't seem to be much higher, but it's noticeable

My GPU usage is all over the place which is probably my fault. But overall it is measurably higher than before. I know where to look for particular artefacts and they are all less prominent in 4.7 than in 4.6. One major artefact has completely gone. This was my main issue with RIFE so the higher GPU usage is worth it for me.

yeah, 4.7 is slower than 4.6

from my benchmark

4.7:
Output 8000 frames in 45.33 seconds (176.47 fps)

4.6:
Output 8000 frames in 34.61 seconds (231.17 fps)

I run SVP with 1920x2160 files. With 4.7 GPU utilisation averages about 75%. With 4.6 the average was around 53%. That's a pretty big jump which as I said I'm fine with. But I do wonder if there is any optimisation that is still to be done or is the new model simply more dense with information so it is what it is?

859 (edited by Xenocyde 27-09-2023 10:46:15)

860 (edited by Xenocyde 27-09-2023 10:48:14)

@Chainik: Maybe worth adding 4.7 to SVP too? If not... how do I add it manually ?

> how do I add it manually ?

mmm.... replace rife_v4.4.onnx with rife_v4.7.onnx?

862 (edited by dawkinscm 27-09-2023 12:32:41)

Chainik wrote:

So obvious but I never thought of doing it that way. But if it works then cool smile

863 (edited by Xenocyde 27-09-2023 13:29:48)

Chainik wrote:

OK, thanks!

L.E.: I deleted 4.4 and added 4.7, but the UI still shows 4.4. Do I need to change anything else?

Did some more testing. Rife is obviously smooth with 4.7 in particular removing or reducing some of the more egregious artefacts. But when it does have artefacts they still tend to look worse than when on Automatic. One particular vertical fast motion scene sees the character drop down to the ground. With Rife, the character seems to disappear every other frame so the character is flashing. I compared this with automatic and this doesn't happen. I use Rife by default but I do wonder if Automatic should be my default instead.

865 (edited by Xenocyde 28-09-2023 20:22:07)

I deleted the 4.4 model and now the 4.4 option in the UI does not work. What do I need to change to add 4.7 in the UI?

L.E.: Never mind, I renamed 4.7 to 4.4 and seems to be working now.

Xenocyde wrote:

I deleted the 4.4 model and now the 4.4 option in the UI does not work. What do I need to change to add 4.7 in the UI?

Cool! Did it create cache entries or are you still using the original cache entries that were generated by 4.4?

867 (edited by Xenocyde 29-09-2023 10:14:20)

dawkinscm wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

Cool! Did it create cache entries or are you still using the original cache entries that were generated by 4.4?

It created new cache entries indeed. However, I don't really see any improvements in regards to artifacts. Fast-moving objects against more complex backgrounds still show mostly the same contour artifacts. Not sure if replacing the 4.4 model and renaming 4.7 works properly.

Xenocyde wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:
Xenocyde wrote:

It created new cache entries indeed. However, I don't really see any improvements in regards to artifacts. Fast-moving objects against more complex backgrounds still show mostly the same contour artifacts. Not sure if replacing the 4.4 model and renaming 4.7 works properly.

I see improvements with fast moving objects and also chequered objects. So less artefacts than 4.6. However the few remaining artefacts are worse than Automatic which is the same as 4.6.

869 (edited by Blackfyre 01-10-2023 04:13:48)

Chainik wrote:
Blackfyre wrote:

Any progress at all with Dolby Vision ...

MPC Video Renderer + Avisynth Filter can now play DoVi

Hoping SVP + Vapoursynth 64 also get it sorted in the next couple of months, when combined with RIFE.

Is there a chance? Or should I switch to MPC? Haven't used MPC in years.

Is it still MPC + Madvr (for upscaling) + RIFE now get the best quality?

Btw Dolby Vision works fine with these configurations for me, but the problem is when RIFE is enabled, I start getting bright flickers happening and blacks becoming gray:

removed as I am changing stuff

Dolby Vision now works in:
1. mpv
2. MPC + Avisynth Filter + MPC Video Renderer
3. MPC + Vapoursynth Filter + MPC Video Renderer

BTW just pushed another update fixing DoVi blinking in mpv or Vapoursynth Filter.

---
RIFE will blink with DoVi content, dunno how to fix this.
Problem is DoVi often change colors right in the middle of the scene. So if we have interpolated frame here made of two adjacent frames with _different_ colors, it will visually blink.
So the only option for RIFE I can see now is repeat one frame at these points. Meaning, turn off interpolation in the middle of panning scene, for example, maybe several times.

dawkinscm wrote:

I run SVP with 1920x2160 files. With 4.7 GPU utilisation averages about 75%. With 4.6 the average was around 53%. That's a pretty big jump which as I said I'm fine with. But I do wonder if there is any optimisation that is still to be done or is the new model simply more dense with information so it is what it is?

I just tried the latest update(was about 20 hours ago at the time of me writing this), and it seems version 4.7 is slightly easier to run now. It's still harder than 4.6, but from the small bit of testing I was able to do for now, it seems slightly better. Hopefully it gets some more optimizations to make it about the same as 4.6

DragonicPrime wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

I just tried the latest update(was about 20 hours ago at the time of me writing this), and it seems version 4.7 is slightly easier to run now. It's still harder than 4.6, but from the small bit of testing I was able to do for now, it seems slightly better. Hopefully it gets some more optimizations to make it about the same as 4.6

It might be to do with the upgrade of mpv to the latest version. But I've been using the latest version for a few of months now so it made zero difference for me.

dawkinscm wrote:
DragonicPrime wrote:
dawkinscm wrote:

It might be to do with the upgrade of mpv to the latest version. But I've been using the latest version for a few of months now so it made zero difference for me.

oh maybe. I just updated when I got the option through SVP

874 (edited by dawkinscm 01-10-2023 12:14:10)

I get occasional but predictable micro stutters. The kind I probably wouldn't notice on a smaller screen like a TV. Yesterday, the mpv source was updated with a few nano-second timing updates (including vsync) that I thought might make a difference. With the new build the micro stutters are now nano stutters. The difference is subtle and may be placebo but it seems to be repeatable.

dawkinscm wrote:

I get occasional but predictable micro stutters. The kind I probably wouldn't notice on a smaller screen like a TV. Yesterday, the mpv source was updated with a few nano-second timing updates (including vsync) that I thought might make a difference. With the new build the micro stutters are now nano stutters. The difference is subtle and may be placebo but it seems to be repeatable.

Ya, forgot to mention that I notice microstutters with the 4.7 model. This plus the fact that it does not improve artifacts in any meaningful way led me to stick to 4.6.