Topic: Best settings to get SVP, MPC and MadVR working together

I cant seem to figure out on how I can get SVP's smoothing to properly work when I have MadVR renderer used, I prefer to use MadVR due to its HDR to SDR conversion being better, the SVP built in is still very washed out.

Id also like to ask for some tips on the best SVP settings with the priority of lesser artifacts, to be run on CPU (Unless Nvidia Optic flow can do better? ) I have a 9700K @ 5Ghz and a 3080.

2 (edited by damienbt 22-06-2021 13:12:20)

Re: Best settings to get SVP, MPC and MadVR working together

Hi,
you don't have HDR display ? in that case madvr does a good job to convert HDR to SDR.
My settings with a gigabyte oled laptop with core I7 10875 + nvidia RTX 2070. I don't get more than 35% CPU and GPU usage with a 4K bluray rip with HDR output.

SVP settings
- GPU acceleration with Nvidia + Optical flow enabled
- Additional options : 10 bits output to "Always"
- Number of frames : I set to match to screen refresh rate (I have a projector running at 60Hz only)
- Disabled remove black borders

Player : MPC-BE is the best, better performance and quality than mpv/vlc and the most fluid for HD/4K and also 3D blurays. MPC-HC is okay too but discontinued
- Settings / video : madVR
- Settings / internal filters / Video decoder : you can use internal MPC decoder or add external filter. I used external LAV filters with D3D11 hardware decoder + Nvidia card selected (necessary to enable copy-back)
- Settings / external filters : LAV audio & video decoders added (optional)+ avisynth filter (mandatory to make SVP work, especially with HDR). Remove FFDShow if present

MadVR
- devices / <your monitor> : I ticked "passthrough HDR to display"
- scaling algorithms / chroma upscaling + image downscaling + image upscaling : Jinc seems to be the best compromise, or try NGU maybe

Notes :
- I noticed that SVP does not work correctly with my laptop monitor, it stutters a lot. Once I plug my OLED TV or projector it works like a charm.
- 4K blurays played from my optical player won't play flawlessly with SVP. I have to rip them first (no reencoding, just a copy as mkv)
- you can also set up kodi with an external player configured to MPC-BE, it works well with a bluetooth remote control