1 (edited by jwsk 29-12-2020 04:23:45)

Topic: VLC playing at original framerate for 4K HDR content

I am experiencing a weird issue on Mac.

Whenever I play any 4K HDR (10-bit) content using VLC, the video will play in its original framerate no matter what settings I choose. The OSD does not show "SVP: enabled" which will appear with 1080p content. The event log indicate it as playing at 2x or 2.5x framerate. However, the video still runs at 24p and looks like it. When I play the same 4K HDR file using mpv, it works fine - I know because it is a lot smoother.

If I use 1080p or 4K SDR (8-bit) video files, then there is no issue at all. Can someone shed a light on to what the problem might be? Has it something to do with the HDR data?

Re: VLC playing at original framerate for 4K HDR content

Most likely it works but just drops frames because VLC gives the worst performance with SVP.

3 (edited by paddy_mcholey 31-12-2020 11:45:29)

Re: VLC playing at original framerate for 4K HDR content

i can relate to this.
playing 4k hdr video, mpc-hc and madvr, windows 10.
im checking the stat, madvr reported no dropped frame (playing at 2xvideo fps and 72fps fixed).
svp setting loaded succesfully upon playing video but both video fps mode doesnt feel smooth and just like playing at the original 23fps.

edit:
i noticed after carefully wathing the video, that smoothness only appears  sporadically
looks like having something to do with motion vectors grid?
i tried with 4px at first and theres barely any smoothness.
smoothness constantly appeared at 16px upwards