1 (edited by mindz 16-03-2012 08:30:31)

Topic: Important settings lost in 3.1 :-(

Hi guys, im a smoothness junkie and im always looking for as much soap opera effect as possible (for me smoothness > artifacts).

With 3.0.6 i achieved max smoothness by settings these settings (see screenshot):
Controur artifacts suppression: NOTHING
Bad areas artifacts suppression: NOTHING
Bad areas artifacts mask: LIGHT

These above settings were the most significant to me for achieving maximum smoothness. With 3.1 im only seeing one of these 3 options, and i havent achieved the smoothness factor of the 3.0.6 version with above settings.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=1353

Are the above 3 settings packed in different settigns in 3.1, and how can i set 3.1 so that i achieve the same results as with 3.0.6?

Thanks in advance.

Post's attachments

SVP.png, 50.76 kb, 432 x 579
SVP.png 50.76 kb, 532 downloads since 2012-03-16 

2 (edited by FDisk 16-03-2012 10:23:33)

Re: Important settings lost in 3.1 :-(

Frames Interpolation Mode: Uniform
Artifact Masking: Disable

Should give you maximum smoothness, but may give you some artifacts.
If you ask me it's best to leave the Frames Interpolation Mode at Adaptive.

mindz
"bad areas" => "artifact masking"
"contour" is always on with 21th and 23th shaders and it's strength value is fixed.

Ok, so if i would want Contour NOTHING i will have to revert to 3.0.6? Does the Contour option affect the smoothness?

mindz
if i would want Contour NOTHING

"contour" is in use with 21th and 23th shaders only
both 21th and 23th with disabled "contour" are equal to 11th "simple lite" shader

Does the Contour option affect the smoothness?
i don't think so

mindz
looking for as much soap opera effect as possible
Then you can do:
1. Change in profile Frames Interpolation Mode: Uniform (as said FDisk)
2. Change in profile Artifact Masking: Disable (as said FDisk)
3. Change in profile SVP shader: 11. Simlpe Lite for movies (as said Chainik) or 2. Sharp for anime
4. Change Motion vectors grid: the less value the more fluid motions
5. Uncomment in override.js and change value: smooth.scene.limits.scene = 8000; Scene change detection will become less sensitive. This can produce unwanted interpolation on some scene changes.

It is not all. Some additional settings will become available with next version of SVP.

Remeber: each change of these parameters produce more smootheness but more artifacts!

Ok, so ive installed 3.0.6 and 3.1 on my PC, and the new version is better in all ways in the smoothness department, NICE! Less settings make for better quality it seems wink.

With DVDs though, i get weird artifacts at the bottom and side of the screen when the camera pans a bit. Ill try and make a screenshot when I can. This wasnt the case with 3.0.6.

mindz
at the bottom and side of the screen when the camera pans a bit
Use tray menu > Frame crop > By four pixels on each side

9 (edited by travolter 21-03-2012 14:35:17)

mindz Im a smoothness freak like you.

My fav settings at moment uses:
Interpolation Mode: Uniform
Motions vector grid: smallest one (lower than 8)
Motions vector precision: half pixel

Nice travolter, ive also found that the smallest (6 px. small 2) gives the most smooth results.

My settings atm are uniform, simple lite, 6 px. small 2, rest default. I havent decided on half or one pixel yet. Sometimes my feeling tells me One Pixel is smoother then Half.

Second generation of "as much soap opera effect as possible" advices.

1. Change in profile Artifact Masking: Disable (as said FDisk)
2. Change in profile Search radius to Large (thanks to help from SubJunk)
3. Change in profile SVP shader: 11. Simple Lite for movies (as said Chainik) or 2. Sharp for anime
4. Change in profile Frames Interpolation Mode: Uniform (as said FDisk)
5. Change in profile Motion vectors grid: the less value the more fluid motions
6. Uncomment in override.js and change value: smooth.scene.limits.scene = 8000; Scene change detection will become less sensitive. This can produce unwanted interpolation on some scene changes.

You can do part of these changes or do all changes. Just look at the results and stop if they good for you.

Remember: each change of these parameters produce more smootheness but more artifacts!

Hi guys, just to come back to the Frame Crop method to reduce blur on the sides of the screen. I havent had this cloudy blur in 3.0.6. Whats different in this version? Im also seeing some blur sometimes when i use the Frame Crop 4*4*4*4.