Topic: Help With Nvidia Optical Flow?

i stopped using svp (paid version) a while ago because even with my setup (2080 ti + i7 3.6) my system struggled mightily with 4k content+ madvr settings.

instead i've been downscaling everything to 1080p with madvr and letting my projector handle interpolation and upscale to 4k which my system handles just fine regardless of the madvr settings i use.

but i just stumbled across optcal flow and after reading the threads here it seems that i might be able to go back to svp + madvr and not have to downscale everything to 1080p given optical flow's performance savings ability.

so how do i enable optical flow? i've looked in the nvidia control panel settings but can't seem to find anything... i also downloaded the sdk but don't know how to use it? or is optical flow automatically installed and used simply by installing my card's driver?

any help would be very much appreciated!

Re: Help With Nvidia Optical Flow?

>  is optical flow automatically installed and used simply by installing my card's driver?

yes

thanks chainik

so what exactly is optical flow?

are there settings for it in the nvidia control panel?
can it interpolate without a program like svp?
to use it with svp, you have to enable the setting within svp?
and if this setting isn't enabled it won't be used?

> so what exactly is optical flow?

API

> are there settings for it in the nvidia control panel?

nope

> can it interpolate without a program like svp?

nope

> to use it with svp, you have to enable the setting within svp?

yep

> and if this setting isn't enabled it won't be used?

yep

5 (edited by aeneas1 04-09-2020 12:43:18)

perfect, thanks!

installed new svp version.
enabled optical flow.
gpu usage is higher with nvof enabled vs disabled.

that shouldn't happen, right?

1080p file
madvr
potplayer (ffdshow filter enabled)

> gpu usage is higher with nvof enabled vs disabled

what exactly did you expected?

aeneas1 wrote:

enabled optical flow.

1080p file
madvr

Yep that's normal. What NVOF is doing is taking the load off the CPU and doing most of it on the GPU. So your GPU usage increases.

Which CPU do you have by the way? I am wondering why you're struggling to run 4K. What frame rate are you running it in? And what SVP settings are you using?

Blackfyre wrote:
aeneas1 wrote:

enabled optical flow.

1080p file
madvr

Yep that's normal. What NVOF is doing is taking the load off the CPU and doing most of it on the GPU. So your GPU usage increases.

Which CPU do you have by the way? I am wondering why you're struggling to run 4K. What frame rate are you running it in? And what SVP settings are you using?

thanks for your reply blackfyre....

i was under the impression that optical flow reduced both cpu and gpu significantly when using svp, is that not the case?

at the moment i can't seem to get avisynth (or vapoursynth) to work with svp, but it does work with ffdshow, thing is cpu and gpu usage seems to be the same regardless if i have optical flow enabled or disabled in svp...

for example, here are the stats for a 1080p / 24 fps file - screen display is set to 3840 / 59 hz, madvr + svp in use, lots of dropped frames if i let it run... top image nvof enabled, bottom image disabed:

https://i.postimg.cc/QM2mfctw/z01.png

and here are the stats with madvr disabled, not much better - again, top is nvof enabled, bottom is disabled:

https://i.postimg.cc/R0phmTfp/x05.png

my cpu is an i7 as follows:

https://i.postimg.cc/28ksdNgv/01.png