Re: No HEVC in VR (whirligig or deovr)

you really have to address your questions to the faq first
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/FAQ#I.27v … fps_videos

Aaah, I saw that headline  but I didn't realize that this also concerns 90fps target. Sorry, now I understand, thanks for helping me out! I will try how much my CPU/GPU can handle...

28 (edited by getitall 22-06-2020 22:44:58)

Indeed great news, i have tested and the HEVC video for the first time played well in the wirligig,  thanks very much for all your great work !!!  as well as the whirligig dev!

Reporting one problem i encountered:

60fps Hevc file won't convert (i set 120fps fixed for my index, all 25fps and 30fps work flawlessly, but 60fps one just not working, showing SVP watermark but also says 60fps)

sample file: https://4kmedia.org/the-world-in-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/
(more file on that site as well can be tested)

> 60fps Hevc file won't convert

the answer is two messages above

Thanks! problem solved indeed!

Chainik wrote:

> 60fps Hevc file won't convert

the answer is two messages above

I have a bit an offtopic question to the developer: I learned that the frame interpolation is a heavy CPU-oriented task, I have a 6-Core i5 @4,5ghz at 100% on all cores and can't get no stable framerate when interpolating 5K (5400x2700@60HZ) to 90HZ, not even on the lowest settings. The GPU (Geforce 1080) has ressources left, but the CPU is at 100% capacity. Is there any option the advanced settings shifting more workload from the CPU to the GPU? I have already HEVC decoding on the GPU (as set in lav) Alternatively, is there a way to benchmark if a CPU upgrade to a i7 with 8 real cores would make a big difference? I don't want to buy an expensive CPU which is still too weak... Any suggestions whould be appreciated, thanks!

32 (edited by djones 30-07-2020 07:06:28)

Whirligig is simply the worst player. Awkward and unintuitive, the controls are awful, the menu somehow got stuck below the floor even after re-installing and wiping the %appdata% config folders, it doesn't auto-detect SBS or even let you default to 180 SBS. I'm done fighting with it and will just tolerate DeoVR without the SVP HEVC support.

How do we get DeoVR to support SVP for HEVC, is it just a matter of petitioning the DeoVR developer?

> How do we get DeoVR to support SVP for HEVC, is it just a matter of petitioning the DeoVR developer?

yeah... they must provide a way to append ffdshow raw filter to the filters list

34 (edited by djones 30-07-2020 22:58:31)

Got a reply from Ivan @ DeoVR. Looks like he wasn't happy with testing results.

We have tested it and we were greatly unhappy with interpolation
quality. FFMPEG interpolation takes days for 4K video. There's no
technology to provide instant interpolation and low quality
interpolation is hurting experience

As for me - 24 fps stuttering is "hurting experience" a way more big_smile

36 (edited by djones 31-07-2020 17:19:13)

I asked him to confirm if they actually tested SVP4 specifically:

We tested everything. You get frames for the sake of frames, but it's nowhere near ffmpeg interpolation

For me, SVP4's benefits to <60FPS 1080p/4K video being interpolated to 60FPS is undeniable in its fluidity. But whether 4K/5K/6K 180-SBS video that is already 60FPS is even worth trying to interpolate to 90FPS with SVP4, rather than just letting the SteamVR/Oculus framerate doubling do its thing to display it at 90FPS, is another matter perhaps.

I personally think that 60->90 or even worse - 60->80 - is not worth it. 60 fps sources are already "good enough".
60->120 could make sense though, for a 120 hz headset.