Topic: Troubles to smooth 2700p 180° VR vidéos

Hello!

I'm trying tu use svp in Whirligig with 180° vidéos with a résolution of 5400x2700 @60fps to 80fps (I have an Oculus Rift S, so i'm limited to 80hz) in VR and i really struggles.
I'm sure SVP is used, and i think Whirligig is well configured for it.
But, even with the WORST settings, the vidéo stutter and play in "slow speed"... Not smooth.

Now i have a really good computer... : Ryzen 9 3900x / 16GB RAM @ 3000Mhz / RTX 2070 Super.
I've seen someone on reddit that claim to use SVP with 180° VR vidéo at 4k 30FPS to 90fps with no problem, so i wondering why i can't...?
I don't really understand what he mean by 4k VR, is that the same 4096x2160? Maybe i'm demanding too much résolution on my side with 2700p...
https://www.reddit.com/r/vive_vr/commen … ime_90fps/

-But even with all the worst settings (not automatic profile) i can't play it smooth... Even Nvidia Optical Flow on my 2070 super can't do it smooth actually.
-Same problem if y try it on MPC-HC (without my vr headset of course, just to monitor performances)
-Only "solution" that works in MPC-HC (i didn't already try on my vr headset with Whirligig) is to : Alter video frame size => Decrease to screen.
But of course, after that MPC-HC indicacte me that my vidéo is now only at 2160x1080 ant i'm not sure that will be good in VR... And even if "statistics" in MPC-hc tell me my vidéo run at 80fps, and the performance monitor of SVP indicate me a playing speed of 1.0 in green, The vidéo struggles and not smooth at all!

So what can i do? is there something i did bad? am i asking too much for SVP? Please help!

Thanks smile

Re: Troubles to smooth 2700p 180° VR vidéos

4k = 3840x2160 = 8M points
your resolution = 5400x2700 = 14.5M points
---
in 2 times more points

30 fps and 60 fps = in 2 time more frames.
---

Your task is in 4 times more complicated than task for 4k 30FPS.
Is your processor in 4 times faster? smile

3 (edited by Picdelag 20-04-2020 06:40:36)

Thanks for the reply!

I see you are a developer.
So... i think the answer is i'm demanding too much neutral

I don't know what the processor of the reddit user is, but my one is quite a beast yikes
Even all settings to the lowest, it's not possible so?
Even 2070 super with optical flow can't do it?

I've made the pixel count, but i thought 60fps to 80fps will be easier than 30 to 60 lol

Edit 1 : Also, something that make me doubt, is that with "video frame size => decrease to screen" that give me a resolution of 2160x1080 with a video in particular, and MPC-HC telling me that it runs @80fps in that resolution and the svp monitoring tool telling me the speed is 1.0 in green, even in that case, the video is still not smooth hmm

Edit 2 : Also, with the full resolution my 3900x is at 35% charge, but 2 threads seems to be overcharged at 100%, 5 other works a lot too and all the 17 others are not working so much : below 50%, and the majority not working at all it seems.

With video frame size => decrease to screen that gives me green numbers in monitoring but still not smooth, the general charge drop to 18% with this time none threads overcharged to 100%. 3 working a lot, 3 working at/below 50%, and all the 18 others almost at sleep

well, 5400x2700x60 is indeed equal to 4x4Kx30, which is a lot of pixels big_smile

but it shouldn't be a problem for NVOF, there's a bottleneck somewhere, I'll try to take a look
"35% charge, but 2 threads seems to be overcharged at 100%" - with NVOF, right?

still making 80 fps out of 60 is not the best idea, I doubt it can be fluent anyway
just watch 60 fps in 60 fps, it's already good enough big_smile
30 -> 80 or 60 -> 120 make sense, but not 60->80
even IF can be fluent, EVERY output frame will be interpolated, i.e. with a visual artifacts

and don't forget that in Whirligig/SimpleVR/etc we are limited with an outdated and software-only ffdshow video decoder

>  i thought 60fps to 80fps will be easier than 30 to 60

nope, it's at least twice as hard (w/o NVOF)

5 (edited by Picdelag 20-04-2020 11:45:11)

Thanks for the reply!

Ok i see! I will stay at 60fps in the worst case if you think 60=>80 is not so adequate.
But i still wanted to try it and see if it's best or not in my eyes, so if you really try to take a look, thanks big_smile

Chainik wrote:

"35% charge, but 2 threads seems to be overcharged at 100%" - with NVOF, right?

No! I read these stats without NVOF, it was mostly CPU so i think? it was with all the lowest custom parameters possible to try if it worked thought.

Let me check with NVOF...

3900x usage at full résolution : 21%
2 threads at 100%
2 others working hard
3 at/below 50%
17 others mostly asleep.

2070 usage : 40%

With résolution reduced to 2160x1080:
CPU usage 10%
2 threads working hard (not 100%)
3 working a little bit.
19 sleeping!

GPU usage 20-22%

With that in mind, and even with the resolution reduced and all the stats in the green, but video less smooth than without svp, i think there is a bottleneck somewhere too hmm But i've never developped anything i can't really tell lol

Also, if you think there is a better video player than any others for VR, i want to ear it please smile
And if i understand well, there is no way to play HEVC VR videos with ffdshow filters or SVP manager with the 3 player listed compatible with SVP? Or is it possible and am i missing something?

Thanks! smile

as I'm now working on a laptop and can only access desktop PC (Ryzen, 2070 and Rift) remotely, it's a bit tricky to test it myself big_smile

Ok! thanks anyway smile

In case you maybe have the occasion, you don't need a VR headset. Just try it on MPC-HC on a regular display, it have exactly the same results.

in fact this topic is a little bit theoretical cause almost all 5-6-8K videos are encoded in HEVC and ffdshow video decoder doesn't support it so there's no way to watch them in a VR headset with SVP now

Oh i still have some in h264, but in majority, and even more in the future the HEVC will be the standard for that yes.

But why i can smooth my HEVC vidéos in MPC-HC so? i don't understand this...

You can... I just thought the main point is play it in a VR

still not sure where the bottleneck is, but mpv plays 5400*2700*60 -> 80 significantly better than MPC-HC
and in MPC-HC CUDA decoder works way better than DXVA2