Topic: Seeking while playing videos is slow - Any tips to improve?

I'm using SVP with MPV and it works great, but seeking (changing position) inside the video is quite slow.

For example, if I disable SVP then I can almost instantly seek to any position in the video.  However, when SVP is enabled it takes 1-3 seconds for playback to resume.

Is there any way to improve this?  Are certain video players faster when using SVP?

Re: Seeking while playing videos is slow - Any tips to improve?

It must be so. At every changing of position (seeking) frames buffers must be filled with frame interpolation faster than real time. It uses CPU and GPU at this moment.
You can try any directShow player (MPC-HC for example). You can use setting "Reset on seek". SVP menu: Application settings - Additional options.
To faster seek use value "Don't reset". You can see some "old" frames within short time just after seeking.

3 (edited by James D 27-02-2020 23:44:30)

Re: Seeking while playing videos is slow - Any tips to improve?

sofakng wrote:

I'm using SVP with MPV and it works great, but seeking (changing position) inside the video is quite slow.

For example, if I disable SVP then I can almost instantly seek to any position in the video.  However, when SVP is enabled it takes 1-3 seconds for playback to resume.

Is there any way to improve this?  Are certain video players faster when using SVP?

Actually, MPV is the fastest for this scenario with ~1 sec. delay. Other players like directshow-based ones (PotPlayer, KMP,...) take about 2-3 seconds on default settings.
There is an option Menu>Application settings>Additional Options>Reset on Seek (Directshow-based players) where you can set "Never reset for fastest way but that will have problems for multiple seeks at the short time of range.
As for MPV... if placebo effects work on you you could set it to never even if you use mpv big_smile