Topic: Plex mpv-1.dll VS svp mpv-1.dll?

when setting up svp for plex, users are instructed to replace the mpv-1.dll that was installed with plex:

C:\Program Files\Plex\Plex Media Player\mpv-1.dll

with the mpv-1.dll that was installed with svp:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\mpv64\mpv-1.dll

does this change the mpv player that plex uses?

plex is know to be using a very old version of mpv but came out with an updated version in october but it seems to have some bugs - if i use svp's mpv-1.dll am i "in a way" updating plex's mpv player? or will plex continue to use the old mpv player that installed with plex even after i replace the plex mpv-1.dll with the svp mpv-1.dll? hope this makes sense!

Re: Plex mpv-1.dll VS svp mpv-1.dll?

> does this change the mpv player that plex uses?

yes, sure

thank you for the reply chainik.

so if i'm using svp's mpv-1.dll then i don't have to update to plex's latest mpv version (which produces a bunch errors in the log file)? my mpv version will be relatively up to date if i just use svp's mpv-1.dll with plex?

btw, what exactly is contained in the mpv-1.dll package, is it the mpv player?

thanks again.

The answer is "yes" for all your questions

bam!

thanks!

is it possible for end users to update svp's mpv version as new mpv releases roll out? for example it seems that the mpv people are making nice progress with hdr, this looks like their latest release from 7 days ago:

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/releases

if so, would it be a matter of downloading the latest version compiling it as explained here:

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/ … windows.md

also, assuming the above is true, are there other dependencies that need to be downloaded and installed separately for mpv to work or would everything needed be included in the mpv downloads?

thanks again!

mpv provided by SVP already contains all that "nice progress with hdr" stuff

that's great to hear!

but if a user did want to test or try out another build, from shnichiro for example, what would be involved?

would you just use svp's utility program to uninstall the mpv player installed by svp (assuming you chose to install it during your setup), download a build with mpv.exe, and then copy the contents of the download to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\mpv64" folder?

for example, i  downloaded a recent build and the contents of the zip folder included:

mpv.com
mpv.exe
updater.bat
d3dcompiler_43.dll
doc folder
fonts folder
installer folder
mpv folder

would all of this be copied to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\mpv64" folder?

assuming yes, how does this effect the mpv-1.dll file in terms of plex? will plex ignore any updates to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\SVP 4\mpv64" folder?

thanks!

https://i.postimg.cc/vTVhVSC3/01.png

9 (edited by aeneas1 05-01-2020 13:39:51)

movie: jurassic world falen kingdom 4k uhd hdr
windows 10 hdr toggle enabled (on)
left photo: playing movie using mpv.exe player installed by svp
right photo: playing movie using mpv-1.dll copied from svp to plex media player folder

note 1: if i remove the mpv-1.dll file from plex and exit svp, the movie still looks this way when played with plex.
note 2: both mpv.conf files (for plex and mpv) have the two following lines, nothing else:

input-ipc-server=mpvpipe
hr-seek-framedrop=no

why would plex cause such a green tint when playing the movie? and if linking to the svp's mpv.exe install using mpv-1.dll, shouldn't plex look different with and without mpv-1.dll installed? but they look identical.1

https://i.postimg.cc/G21fP5W7/01.jpg

UPDATE -

i discovered that i order to get rid of the green tint / dark image "native opengl" has to be enabled in plex settings... what i don't understand is why i can't have this disabled and use the mpv.conf instead, for example gpu-api=opengl, gpu-api=vulkan, etc.? but these settings don't seem to have any effect on plex?

problem is, when opengl is enabled in plex settings it breaks audio passthrough... yet everything works perfectly when using the mpv player (with or without svp)...

I can't check Plex+HDR right now, but that HDR update in mpv works only with d3d11 output selected. In all other cases out will do hdr-to-sdr tone mapping.

12 (edited by aeneas1 05-01-2020 18:45:57)

thanks chainik...

- is the mpv hdr update part of the current svp build or do i need to download it?
- what should the mpv.conf line be for d3d11 out, gpu-api=d3d11, hwdec=d3d11va or gpu-context=d3d11?
- also, as mentioned, turning on opengl in plex fixed the color prob with hdr, but i'm not sure if turning opengl on will prevent d3d11 settings in mpv.conf from working?

thanks!

Chainik wrote:

I can't check Plex+HDR right now, but that HDR update in mpv works only with d3d11 output selected. In all other cases out will do hdr-to-sdr tone mapping.

svp's build is from 2019-11-28 while "hdr update" was merged into mpv-git on 2019-10-30

vo=gpu
gpu-api=d3d11

and these are the defaults, but Plex may override them somehow

14 (edited by aeneas1 05-01-2020 20:00:11)

thank you chainik..

if i ever want to update mpv on my own, how would i do it, where would i install the files within the svp folder(s), and which build type would i use:

this one

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv

or this one:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-pl … les/64bit/

thanks again!

Chainik wrote:

svp's build is from 2019-11-28 while "hdr update" was merged into mpv-git on 2019-10-30

vo=gpu
gpu-api=d3d11

and these are the defaults, but Plex may override them somehow

so i'm a bit confused by this, it states that shinchiro's builds can be used, but it also says that because vapoursynth isn't included users must use svp's "custom" mpv.exe build (or mpv-1.dll).

Since developer's web site doesn't provide Vapoursynth-enabled Windows version you have to use our custom build of mpv.exe and/or mpv-1.dll.

Please install the following packages via SVP's "Additional programs and features":

[VPS_64] mpv video player and/or
[VPS_64] mpv shared library

Update: starting from 2017-12-29 you can also use builds by shinchiro. Keep in mind that SVPcode (transcoding extension) and SVPcast (streaming extension) functionality may be limited with those builds because of missing built-in hardware encoders.

shinchiro's builds support vapoursynth

17 (edited by aeneas1 07-01-2020 07:43:38)

thanks chainik!

so how would i add it to svp? uninstall the svp version using svp's utility too, and then just install shinchiro's version into the svp/mpv folder?

assuming yes, how does this effect the mpv-1.dll file that's copied to the plex folder, would the dll use schinchiro's build or is the dll a self-contained mpv version and therefore would ignore the schinchiro install?

thanks again!

Chainik wrote:

shinchiro's builds support vapoursynth

ok, PMP by default works with a OpenGL output only, which doesn't support true HDR mode but only does tonemapping to SDR
but there's a trick big_smile

plexmediaplayer.conf -> "video" -> "debug.force_vo" = "gpu"

after that it will play in an external D3D window (note that video is playing in a popup window while all the controls remains in the main window big_smile)

but it still doesn't want to switch to HDR mode, dunno why hmm

===
upd: it doesn't work because PlexMediaPlayer.exe doesn't have bloody Windows 10 manifest attached big_smile

the magic DIY command (needs mt.exe from Windows SDK):

mt.exe -nologo -manifest "d:\PlexMediaPlayer.exe.manifest" -outputresource:"d:\PlexMediaPlayer.exe;#1"

https://github.com/plexinc/plex-media-player/issues/935

Post's attachments

PlexMediaPlayer.exe.manifest 1.1 kb, 264 downloads since 2020-01-10 

well this sounds like some pretty exciting stuff chainik, and would no doubt be more exciting if i understood it completely, ha ha...

- when i change the pmp.conf file i do indeed get the popup video window, which is pretty cool, but i can't do anything with it (resize it, move it to another location on the desktop, etc., instead it's fixed to the upper left hand corner on my desktop in a small window, if i drag the video window it drags but leaves the video behind, ha ha).

- so what does this all mean? if plex sees your github post and attaches the manifest, what happens then?

thanks again, great stuff!

Chainik wrote:

ok, PMP by default works with a OpenGL output only, which doesn't support true HDR mode but only does tonemapping to SDR
but there's a trick big_smile

plexmediaplayer.conf -> "video" -> "debug.force_vo" = "gpu"

after that it will play in an external D3D window (note that video is playing in a popup window while all the controls remains in the main window big_smile)

but it still doesn't want to switch to HDR mode, dunno why hmm

===
upd: it doesn't work because PlexMediaPlayer.exe doesn't have bloody Windows 10 manifest attached big_smile

the magic DIY command (needs mt.exe from Windows SDK):

mt.exe -nologo -manifest "d:\PlexMediaPlayer.exe.manifest" -outputresource:"d:\PlexMediaPlayer.exe;#1"

https://github.com/plexinc/plex-media-player/issues/935

> but i can't do anything with it

dunno, works like a usual window in my case except all the playback controls are in the other window

> what happens then?

that popup window will be able to show HDR content on the HDR screen exactly as the plain mpv does, nothing more

21 (edited by aeneas1 10-01-2020 22:15:52)

Chainik wrote:

> what happens then?

that popup window will be able to show HDR content on the HDR screen exactly as the plain mpv does, nothing more

that would be fantastic!

Chainik wrote:

> but i can't do anything with it

dunno, works like a usual window in my case except all the playback controls are in the other window

here's what happens for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjCmNnF … e=youtu.be

here's the latest PMP.exe with manifest attached, but I'm not gonna to provide it for every PMP update big_smile

anyway this is almost useless for most people until they will properly support D3D output in PMP, which I suppose will never happen cause they already switched to the "new Plex app"

Post's attachments

PlexMediaPlayer.exe.zip 974.51 kb, 290 downloads since 2020-01-11 

this looks very cool, will give it a try tonight! re your comment that it's almost useless for most people, is that because it still won't render hdr correctly?

Chainik wrote:

here's the latest PMP.exe with manifest attached, but I'm not gonna to provide it for every PMP update big_smile

anyway this is almost useless for most people until they will properly support D3D output in PMP, which I suppose will never happen cause they already switched to the "new Plex app"

nope, because "all the playback controls are in the other window"

Chainik wrote:

nope, because "all the playback controls are in the other window"

gotchya, thanks!