1 (edited by BetteBalterZen 05-12-2019 16:20:59)

Topic: 10-bit output unplayable

Hello everyone - I was hoping someone could help me...

Playing 10-bit movies via SVP using MPV lags a lot - like it's running 1FPS. I can see my CPU is at peak 90-100% usage. I have a 8700K (6C/12T) and a GTX 1080Ti.
SVP is running with the self-optimized settings - only changed "allow_10bit" to "true" to make 10-bit output possible.
I'd love to make 10-bit work with interpolation from SVP because the difference between 8-bit and 10-bit is night and day, and so is 24FPS vs 100FPS... tongue

So... Is my hardware just too weak or is there a trick to make it work?

Thank you :-)

Edit: I should say that playing 10-bit movies via MPV without SVP/interpolation works perfectly - just runs at native FPS, fx 24FPS

Re: 10-bit output unplayable

move the slider to the left, "auto-adjusted" settings may not react to the 10-bit switch properly

I tried moving the slider all the way to Performance and it did run better but still choppy and unplayable :-/

Seems like it comes down my hardware not being strong enough? Because moving it all the way to Performance did make it run better but still not good at all... So having a stronger CPU/GPU combination using "Higher performance" in SVP might do the trick?
I hope it's fixable though via some tweaks though :-)

are you talking about 4K/10bit ?

Yes sorry - I should have mentioned that.

But yes, 2160p 10-bit

Ryzen 7 1700 @3500 MHz, 4K/10-bit is totally playable at auto setting #4 (*) and below with a ~50% CPU load

(*) Look at the log, there must be line like this:
> 21:42:30.179 []: Profile: using automatic profile #4 /film

===
> and so is 24FPS vs 100FPS

Ah, 100 fps? this could be too much for 4K/10-bit hmm try 60 instead.

I just tried with 60FPS and it runs butter smooth (with around 50/60 CPU%) - totally acceptable and a very enjoyable experience.

Thank you so much for support, Chainik - thank you