Topic: SVP 4 lag spikes

So I'm using SVP for over a year now and it worked perfectly fine until some weeks ago. I bought a new SSD and reinstalled windows.

After setting up SVP with the exact same settings as before I keep getting lag spikes about twice a minute. Those occur in every video but only in the first 5-10 minutes of it, after that it's completely fluent.

I'm using a custom profile with 144 fps locked, with MPC-HC. CPU load is constant at about 30%, GPU load at 25%.

Specs:
i7-4790k @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Re: SVP 4 lag spikes

Your PC is powerful enough to make smooth video with SVP.
I think it is some software problem with drivers. When watching movies try to remove or disable all unnecessary devices: printers, modems, scanners, etc.
And first of all update sound card drivers. It can be the cause too.

3 (edited by Blackfyre 05-12-2019 09:13:20)

OP why is your 4790K running at 4.0Ghz? Are you using the stock cooler? If you have water cooling or any air cooler let me know what motherboard you have and what cooler, I'll try and help you. You can easily get 4.6Ghz, or at the very least 4.4Ghz which is the default turbo clock of the 4790K. But if you are on stock cooler, don't do it, stay at 4.0Ghz.

As for the lag spikes, this sounds familiar to an issue I was having, took me so long to figure it out, but if you have a "Free Standby Memory" script running in the background, which was needed to remove stuttering in older versions of Windows 10 while gaming. Just upgrade to Windows 10 1909 and remove that script from startup tasks. I was getting a few dropped frames every few minutes and it didn't make sense at all, everything was running smoothly, until I realised that I have this script running in the background that clears the memory every few minutes which I was using like 2 years ago. It's no longer necessary to have with the latest version of Windows 10.

> I'm using a custom profile with 144 fps locked

madVR?

MAG79 wrote:

When watching movies try to remove or disable all unnecessary devices: printers, modems, scanners, etc.
And first of all update sound card drivers. It can be the cause too.

Everything's up to date and I've not had any unnecessary things running.

Blackfyre wrote:

You can easily get 4.6Ghz, or at the very least 4.4Ghz which is the default turbo clock of the 4790K.

Just checked and it is running on 4.4GHz, I was misinformed then.
What is this Free Standby Memory thing? I've never heard of that.

Chainik wrote:

madVR?

I've seen madVR is an additional program isn't it? Actually I have no clue about most of this stuff, I only set this up as tutorials said.
in SVP settings I made a new profile where it sets the refresh rate to the one from the monitor.

> madVR is an additional program isn't it?

it is, but it's more like "mandatory" for 120+ hz flawless playback

Chainik wrote:

>It is, but it's more like "mandatory" for 120+ hz flawless playback

Well I don't see it under installed programs and I've not installed it afaik.
I could fluently play my 1080p movies at 144 fps with no issues.

Should I try using madVR then and see if it fixes my problem?

> Should I try using madVR then and see if it fixes my problem?

it's worth trying...
install it via SVP's "Additional programs and features" and then switch the video renderer in MPC-HC's Options -> Playback -> Output

Chainik wrote:

it's worth trying...
install it via SVP's "Additional programs and features" and then switch the video renderer in MPC-HC's Options -> Playback -> Output

I'll test that. Thanks!

Chainik wrote:

it's worth trying...

It looks like with madVR it works fluently!
Tho it uses about 20% more CPU and 15% more GPU, but that's worth it I'd say.

Thank you for your help!