1 (edited by Duckers 29-07-2019 23:48:08)

Topic: Can the nvidia flow SDK allow for much more accurate interpolation?

Like this. Will we perhaps see svp be able to achieve the same smooth frame interpolation even in really fast paced scenes or with scenes with a lot of moving people or objects without artifacts with the new flow SDK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjViy6kyiqs

Re: Can the nvidia flow SDK allow for much more accurate interpolation?

I think SVP can do the same with the same quality.
Video by your link is slow-motion video.

You can do a trick. For example take MPC-HC player and press Ctrl-Arrow Down to reduce playback speed to 0.5x or 0.25x or even 0.13x. You will get effect like in this video.

FYI

Post's attachments

nvof_fb.png, 158.14 kb, 500 x 366
nvof_fb.png 158.14 kb, 321 downloads since 2019-07-30 

4 (edited by Duckers 30-07-2019 20:10:16)

Chainik wrote:

FYI

I tried, it and it was really stuttery. Got a rtx 2080

works on my 2070...
it can't be more stuttery than "software mode" with NVOF off, considering the same video, same player and same SVP rendering options used

but if you're hoping for "even in really fast paced scenes or with scenes with a lot of moving people or objects without artifacts" - then no, current implementation is overall worse than a good old "software motion estimation"

6 (edited by Viscerous 31-07-2019 10:13:19)

Not super related, but I've been using SVP Pro since it's been made available and I always go for uniform and small motion vectors grid to try and get the most smooth result, but it totally destroys my 4770K, so I was pretty excited to hear full GPU acceleration support.

NVOF I think is already working quite well, not seeing any of the stutters mentioned above on my 2080 Super. Currently using it in uniform mode with 4px motion vectors grid, which is quite artefacty yes, but I still prefer it over the larger grid options even if it produces more artefacts. I also noticed it produces more artefacts than software regardless of the motion vector grid size right now, but I still greatly prefer this solution over hammering my CPU. Can quality improvements be made on the NVOF front?

> Can quality improvements be made on the NVOF front?

yeah, theoretically, by post-processing motion vectors received from the NVOF

Chainik wrote:

> Can quality improvements be made on the NVOF front?

yeah, theoretically, by post-processing motion vectors received from the NVOF

STOP Chainik, don't make me waste money on an RTX Card. Haha

MAG79 wrote:

I think SVP can do the same with the same quality.
Video by your link is slow-motion video.

You can do a trick. For example take MPC-HC player and press Ctrl-Arrow Down to reduce playback speed to 0.5x or 0.25x or even 0.13x. You will get effect like in this video.

I did, it then appeared as 24 or 30 fps at half speed. Or rather no interpolation at all. Same with 0.25x

Duckers
I've just checked with MPC-HC and Ctrl-Arrow Down. It is still working to me. At speed 0.5x and 0.25x. No problem. Look at SVP status and in SVP logs.