1 (edited by Michael 27-07-2019 15:14:18)

Topic: Save movie with MadVr and Fill Black Bars settings. Possible?

Using SVP code it is possible to save a movie with a higher frame rate. Is it possible to save a movie also with the settings of madvr and with the function "Black bar lighting (Fill Black bars)?

I would like to save the movie with a higher framerate and with the same quality that madvr gives me.

Thanks

Re: Save movie with MadVr and Fill Black Bars settings. Possible?

If there was a One-click preset for 'saving' an IMAX movie filling black bars when ultrawide part of movie goes and keeping parts intact I would be happy too. It takes bigger frame number for cache/prefetch I suppose and snappier black-bars/no-black-bars detection.

madVR is a renderer - i.e. it renders video onto the specific screen
you can't encode anything "with the settings of madvr"

"Black bar lighting" will eat a lot of bitrate and will look awful after the encoder, this's why it's off in encoding mode

4 (edited by Mystery 28-07-2019 05:10:52)

For custom encoding, you have to use Avisynth or VapourSynth -- which are not for beginners. Then you need to do the whole editing and encoding process manually and be familiar with the various tools.

Also note that you can gain quality by increasing frame rate and upscaling with better algorithms, but then you'll also lose quality by re-encoding, so you can't encode with the same quality MadVR gives you. Although you could upscale and prepare the video with better quality that couldn't be done in real-time, which would make up for the quality loss. Then you can also trim or add black borders to your wish. It just takes time and knowledge to do.

James D wrote:

black-bars/no-black-bars detection

Like in this topic?
Video with variable frame size plays crazy

"Also note that you can gain quality by increasing frame rate and upscaling with better algorithms"

What are these algorithms? It would be wonderful madvr could be used with premiere adobe or other similar software. Until now, I haven't found any software that makes the upscaler like Madvr. Precisely for this reason I asked if there is a way to save a movie using the madvr upscaler.

7 (edited by Mystery 29-07-2019 04:26:18)

Indeed, none of the image editing software use these upscaling algorithms; not sure why.

I also wanted to do exactly what you described and ended up creating the Yin Encoder as part of the Natural Grounding Player. This encoder will do what you want.
https://github.com/mysteryx93/NaturalGroundingPlayer

I've been doing major changes to the source code, splitting Natural Grounding Player from the Media Encoder, I'll want to switch over from Avisynth to VapourSynth for better stability and performance... and my local code has been broken for a while, but the latest published release should be working fine.

Now madVR and MPV are using even better upscaling algorithms; I can't use those yet. It's using SuperRes + SuperXbr which does a very fine job too.

8 (edited by Michael 29-07-2019 07:15:47)

I found a solution that works. A Doom9 forum user recommended it to me.

"If you use a screen recorder that outputs AVC or HEVC using the hardware encoders available with modern graphics cards, or something like FRAPS if you want lossless output (other better apps can be available, I haven't followed recent development), you should be able to grab the result of madVR rendering that way. I've never tested it so can't guarantee the results, try it.
madVR outputs with Direct3D so it should work like when recording a game. (Edit: the only exception is if you use overlay rendering, I think) "

Of course, you need to record the movie in real time, but at least it works.

9 (edited by Mystery 29-07-2019 07:13:40)

Rendering and encoding a video in real-time? That's a joke, right?

That would require lower rendering settings and very low encoding settings that would make the output quality terrible.

I copied another answer. I corrected the message with the right answer.