Topic: Windows 10 VLC version problem

With SVP 4 Pro I was trying to play BDMV plus menu support, I first utilized Potplayer and it worked fine with SVP but a pity no menu support.

So I then tried VLC 3.0.4 the latest version and carefully followed the wiki instruction, setting PATH variables and modify folder permissions, but it stuck in the SVP replacing deinterlace filter part.

I managed to find the manual solution of moving SVP 4\plugins64\libvapoursynth_plugin.dll into VLC\plugins\video_filter but vapoursynth filter still didn't show up in the VLC option.

By then I noticed the official recommended version for VLC is 2.2.4 so I rushed to it and now SVP took effects, but sadly the older VLC doesn't support Blu-ray menu.

So the problem is: how may I tackle the higher version problem of VLC, or can someone please recommend a player that's compatible with SVP and menu support?

As far as I know, Potplayer and MPV plus SMplayer don't support DVD/BD menu options and may never add that, while TMT and PowerDVD provide the support but aren't compatible with SVP.

Sorry for any possible weird non-native English expression.

Re: Windows 10 VLC version problem

There's absolutely no difference between setting up VLC 3.0.4 and 2.2.4 for SVP.

However VLC (any version) is not the best option for SVP, at least right now. In fact, it's the worst.

Chainik wrote:

There's absolutely no difference between setting up VLC 3.0.4 and 2.2.4 for SVP.

However VLC (any version) is not the best option for SVP, at least right now. In fact, it's the worst.

The difference between 3.0.x and 2.2.x of vlc seems not that critical since vlc itself runs into performance problem compared with moving and SMplayer I use now when coupled with SVP. The latter two take advantage of slightly more CPU usage to nearly annihilate lagging and desync.

As for disc menu support, mpv plus SMPlayer deliberately remove it for unsatisfactory performance and easier maintenance. I personally have PowerDVD in case of desperate menu need, which is  sadly not compatible with SVP.

4 (edited by Dude500 22-11-2018 08:53:00)

Did "compared with moving" mean mpv? Thanks Chainik for the heads up that vlc 3.0 works like 2.2 for less than technical newcomers.

Is there any way to use on-screen-usage statistics in VLC or MPV or SMplayer? Usage statistics are valuable!

Is SVPMark still a particularly useful tool or is it a bit peculiar? Is it eventually going to be updated for 4k, and eventually 8k interpolation, I'm thinking 240hz refresh rates will be a potential standard by that point? Could an update be helpful or is that not exactly necessary? I suppose that 8k should be around at reasonable cost in a few years at the most. Certainly not four and the Tokyo Olympics will be broadcast in 8k!
Thank you

mpv stats https://github.com/Argon-/mpv-stats

6 (edited by Dude500 22-11-2018 10:01:08)

> Thanks! Guess there are no VLC usage statistics as well?

I can only play transcoded 4k files at 60fps through VLC for/at smooth playback. 4k-60fps-transcoded File playback chokes even In the 64 bit MPV-Component installation and 64bitmpc-hc. Does anyone have feedback for SVP 4k playback, including transcoded-60fps playback, possibly through different players?

Wonder if SVPMark for 4k and eventual8k might be very handy for relative performance understanding at 8k 240hz of what gpu/cpus' can do when the time comes, and it is coming for 8k.
Perhaps SVPMark is not exactly first priority, but having relative performance understanding would likely be neat to have for relatively soon to be available 8k/240hz refresh rate standards.
I'm asking a lot, but this is just a suggestion!?

4k Playback issues with are with 850M and 4712HQ. VLC alone appears capable of playing the transcoded files back at 60fps. Anyone know why that is? Thanks again

> My (performance related?) playback issues with 4k are with 850M and 4712HQ.

Intel IGP is the bottleneck here. Switch to simple EVR (non-"custom presenter") video renderer in MPC-HC. Or at least to the "bilinear" resizer for EVR-CP.

8 (edited by Dude500 23-11-2018 08:02:57)

Tried renderer through regular EVR-non Custom Presenter with two 60fps4k(HDR)transcoded files that do seem to play ok at 60fps in VLC -my VLC 3.0 vaporsynth is UNCONVERTED FOR SVP's deinterlacing-option. I Still see stutter from MPC (and mpv), could it be that the transcoded files are 4k HDR files, or were .265 files to start before transcode to .264? Anything else to try getting transcoded (60fps .264) playing back in mpc or mpv smoothly?
   gpu usage does go way up to 60 or 70%, but I can't figure why they are not playingback smoothly in these players, especially mpv.

I want to say that I love the mpv(64 bit vers .29) tonemapper filter for 23fps HDR or real-time interpolated video when -my 850m/4712hq are not good enough to real-time interpolate4k.265HDR, without .265 decoders- played on SDR displays that is part of mpv's component build. Good!
Also, aside from smooth playback - MPV's HDR>SDR tonemapping filter is not applied in mpv to the 60fps transcoded stream. Can this be fixed in updates to come?

And please tell me if this is just my eyes,:
When SVPcoding .265 4kHDR content to .264/60fps, the resulting color seems even more washed out than the original .265 hi10HDR File (played back on an 8 bit SDR screen). Am I seeing things there?

9 (edited by Dude500 23-11-2018 08:03:05)

Dear developers, Updated the post ^ above. Thank you for your time! Please delete this "bump or ping" post.

playing 4K @60fps HDR h.265 on 850M and 4712HQ? I dunno... ensure you have 850M selected as a card used for HW decoder in LAV properties. Try "NVIDIA CUVID" decoder option.

> MPV's HDR>SDR tonemapping filter is not applied in mpv to the 60fps transcoded stream. Can this be fixed in updates to come?

yeah, we definitely need too look into it, but I can't guarantee it's possible w/o some changes in mpv itself

11 (edited by Dude500 24-11-2018 05:01:15)

Well then, in any case. I appreciate the HDR to SDR filter. The BT2020 gamut is definitely there and it seems like some of the HDR contrast lighting effects are STILL visible as well [on my quantum-dot QDEF "SDR" display].. So in short It is lovely and done pleasingly - Downloaded/seed Mary and the Witches Flower https://nyaa.si/view/1060038 and the HDR>SDR tonemapping/BT2020 is just wonderful, even stunning in the first few minutes.

Only VLC plays the 60fps/4k .264 transcodes smoothly, for unknown reasons for .264 4k transcodes. There could be something wrong here. with the other players?
     The best I can do with my hardware (no hevc encoder or decoder850m/4712hq) is 1440p .265 hevc real time 60fps interpolation through mpv, which is a little better than I expected! 1440p bitrate is low enough to interpolate through .265CPU processing.

So I dunno what is wrong with 4k .264 transcodes either. Without decoders something is just capitulating, 'giving up,' refusing to even begin taking 4k cpu usage to 100% I guess.
60fps4k hevc is stuttering because CPU usage is already at 60 to 82% for hevc 24fps4k. Because 4k .264 transcodes are not working for me well, It would be nice/neat if there were an option in SVPCode to select resolution the file is transcoded to, -in my case 1440p- but I recognize 1440p probably isn't going to be necessary for most people.

...Digression
    Steps onto Soap box
I'm stingy about upgrading because this laptop (Asus NX500) was $770 for me and $2,550 when new, and it's the only laptop that has a Cadmium-(NanoSys-)Quantum-Dot enhanced display (4k)... I'm trying to hold the fort right here until 8k becomes more standard for a desktop. The speakers are also just the very best for a laptop.

Making my Cheapskates *Battle Plan* for MaDVr/SVP 240fps 8k.

12 (edited by Dude500 24-11-2018 07:14:59)

Edited ^ for readability!! For no apparent reason/explanation I can now play 60fps.264 transcoded 4k files in MPV without any frame loss. 850M usage is exactly static between 49-51%.

So this Asus NX500 can do "everything" sans-except transcode to hevc, and interpolate 4k in real time on this quantum-dot film enhanced-color laptop, which is the only one [QDEF laptop-computer] of its kind. For $770 I am very happy and that is NO "deal breaker".. Because this aging, with lack of .265 decoder totl + Quantum Dot/Color Enhanced late-2014 model is going to be transcoding 4k60fps content often and interpolating 1440p VP9 both for rather heavy CPU usage, it would absolutely benefit from some liquid metal TIM.

Just transcode overnight and I can watch 60+fpsSVP 4k (and hopefully HDR>SDR -BT2020 gamut- in the near future if mpv's amenable to it)! That is about the best I could have hoped for for this laptop (with QDEF film) that lacks hevc decoders!

Thank you for adding the 24fps HDR>SDR tonemapper to the mpv build, again! It is EXCELLENT, for BT 2020 color gamut, which is truly wonderful! It certainly would be neat if the interpolated and/or transcoded playback also took advantage of this filter/tone mapper. Looking forward to whatever feedback there might be concerning implementing it; useful feature, hoping that it is a possibility alright.
Pretty much completely satisfied but MPV would be bloody awesome concerning future 8k>SDR and current HDR standards with 60fps HDR>SDR tonemapper. Of course not a dealbreaker but I already know that you guys know the tonemapper is definitely a good function.

The HDR>SDR tonemap functionality works stunningly well. It preserves part of the HDR effect for SDR displays and is impressive.
That BT2020 COLOR gamut is SO TASTY. In transcoded 60+fps/HDR>SDR tonemapper I think "I would die and go to heaven." 
BT2020 is just simply so divinely tasty.

In the future there should be wider subpixel color Primaries for cyan, a purple, a yellow, etc as well as RedGreenBlue.

Is the MPV HDR>SDR tonemapping filter indeed mapped > to SDR BT2020? It might just be me and my NTSC color-gamut laptop (Asus NX500) so would like to know. The tone map filter looks great in Mary and The Witches Flower, Your Name, and Gundam 00 Wakening of the Trailblazer 4k HDR files.