Topic: Halo effect... god awful

Brilliant smooth motion,  but this halo or shimmering whenever there's fast motion makes everything unwatchable - it's a terrible side-effect of what is a wonderful, liquid, almost 3D image.

I have SVP4 free. I tried SVP3 after reading that this effect it's not so bad... but typically (using SVP3) the ffdshow raw video filter doesn't appear in MPC 32bit while video is playing, in spite of it being added to external filters, yet it IS recognised in MPC 64bit only 64bit is not supported!

So I'm pretty disappointed - and annoyed - that such a potentially great addition, as SVP4 seems to be, is, in reality, totally useless. Unless you're myopic and don't notice it.

2 (edited by dlr5668 27-07-2017 15:52:57)

Re: Halo effect... god awful

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1561
and use x2..x4 profile
24 fps -> 48 fps -> 50 hz for example

overclocking monitor to 72Hz/48 resulting x3/2 instead of x2.5 dramatically decreases artifacts as dlr5668 wrote.

Legion wrote:

Brilliant smooth motion,  but this halo or shimmering whenever there's fast motion makes everything unwatchable - it's a terrible side-effect of what is a wonderful, liquid, almost 3D image.

I have SVP4 free. I tried SVP3 after reading that this effect it's not so bad... but typically (using SVP3) the ffdshow raw video filter doesn't appear in MPC 32bit while video is playing, in spite of it being added to external filters, yet it IS recognised in MPC 64bit only 64bit is not supported!

So I'm pretty disappointed - and annoyed - that such a potentially great addition, as SVP4 seems to be, is, in reality, totally useless. Unless you're myopic and don't notice it.

I get you are disappointed but for a free product, there is only so much you can expect.
Additionally, artifacts are simply mathematical reality that happens when you literally "invent" new frames for smoothness.

In SVP4 Pro you can have stronger artifact masking, so maybe instead of simply complaining, you should try and develop a better algorithm to either hide artifacts or find a different method of motion interpolation that does not produce artifacts (although I believe this is a physical and mathematical impossibility) - the SVP team would probably be very grateful for your input smile