Topic: Best settings for SVP

I was wondering what are best setting for less artifacting and jerky video playback, since i have BenQ XL 24 inch monitor with refresh rate of 144hz?

2 (edited by Anim8 06-06-2017 14:51:53)

Re: Best settings for SVP

There is no best settings as you are basically balancing smoothness vs artifacts.
Also the type of video your watching may change what you consider best. IE Movie or Cartoon/Anime etc

In saying that the main ones I tend to change based on content is: (the others settings I don't change much)

Artifacts Masking
(Stronger the masking = less smooth+less artifacts, it also increase the amount of ghost images you see in object movement)

Motion vectors precision (I use the larger sizes for the most part, namely 24px / 28px)
(smaller = smoother+increase in artifacts // Larger = less smoothness+less artifacts)
Note that smaller block size requires more system resources/power

These settings I don't change much at all
Frames interpolation mode = Uniform
SVP Shader = Standard
Motion Vectors = Half Pixel
Grid Step = Two with Global (I turn this off for 4k video atm, due to PC not fast enough at 4k)
Search Radius = Large
Wide = Strongest
Top coarse = Large

These are the settings I find work best for me, your free to try them but ultimately you will need to play around with the settings and see what looks best to you.

As for 144hz, your likely best of running at 120hz on the desktop so all video fps multiples nicely.
(IE so you have an even No# of interpolated frames to real frames / avoiding pull-down etc, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down)
24fps video x 5 = 120 smile
30fps video x 4 = 120 smile
60fps video x 2 = 120 smile

At 144hz only 24fps video works nicely.
24fps video x 6 = 144 smile
30fps video x 4.8 = 144 sad (Not ideal)
60fps video x 2.4 = 144 sad (Not ideal)

---
It is important to understand that for any parameters the balance between video smoothness and quality / noticeable artifacts FRC is kept. So high smoothness always leads to stronger artifacts and artifacts reduction always reduces smoothness.

There is no perfect set of parameters which gives the maximum smoothness without artifacts.
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP3:Prof … ic_options

Re: Best settings for SVP

Will do, thanks for sharing your settings.