1 (edited by Duckers 06-12-2016 20:16:34)

Topic: Chance for getting svp for android?

Will there be a chance for svp to arrive for android? By having cpu and gpu acceleration at the same time to reach up to 48, 60 and 90 fps?

Cause i really love svp but would love it even more to have on the go on my phone/tablet

Re: Chance for getting svp for android?

only if there will be an usable and fully functional mpv build available

and it'll definitely drain the battery ~ two times faster than any Android game

Chainik wrote:

What are the odds of that?

I saw some Github chatter about the mpv devs not wanting an Android version, but that was a long time ago.

Chainik wrote:

Depends on the phone. CAuse i can watch 6 or 7  20 minute videos in VR cinema via gear VR, so doubt that svp will kill it that much faster. (s7 edge)

Duckers wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Depends on the phone. CAuse i can watch 6 or 7  20 minute videos in VR cinema via gear VR, so doubt that svp will kill it that much faster. (s7 edge)

Oh, it will. SVP + MPV would would load the ALL your CPU cores, the GPU, AND video decoding block almost completely, + your LTE/Wifi radio if you're streaming the video.

A intense 3d game, for instance, would load maybe 1 CPU core, a bit of another, and the GPU down. Samsung's VR cinema would load the decoding block and a little bit of the CPU/GPU. Netflix loads the decoding block (or the CPU if things go wrong) and your radio.

In other words, SVP is way worse than the worst case scenario on Android. It would probably make most phones throttle.

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 06-12-2016 21:13:55)

The obvious solution is to only use SVP for Android when charging. tongue

7 (edited by Duckers 07-12-2016 00:18:38)

brucethemoose wrote:
Duckers wrote:
Chainik wrote:

Oh, it will. SVP + MPV would would load the ALL your CPU cores, the GPU, AND video decoding block almost completely, + your LTE/Wifi radio if you're streaming the video.

A intense 3d game, for instance, would load maybe 1 CPU core, a bit of another, and the GPU down. Samsung's VR cinema would load the decoding block and a little bit of the CPU/GPU. Netflix loads the decoding block (or the CPU if things go wrong) and your radio.

In other words, SVP is way worse than the worst case scenario on Android. It would probably make most phones throttle.

Yeah, but i would love to test it through the development if they ever started on an android port ^^

8 (edited by brucethemoose 07-12-2016 00:02:31)

I would too.

It'd be a really interesting test anyway, as its uses every major part of your phone except the encoding block and the flash, all at once.

In fact, that would make a hell of a benchmark:

* Download 4k24 HEVC video clip from a test server. (wifi/LTE radio)
* Hardware decode it (decoding block)
* Interpolate to 60p using SVP (CPU/GPU)
* Hardware encode it (encoding block)
* Upload to test server (other part of LTE/wifi radio).

It'd be the ultimate Android benchmark, a true test of your phone's capabilities and condition. Hell, I'd probably pay for it as a separate app.

brucethemoose wrote:

I would too.

It'd be a really interesting test anyway, as its uses every major part of your phone except the encoding block and the flash, all at once.

In fact, that would make a hell of a benchmark:

* Download 4k24 HEVC video clip from a test server. (wifi/LTE radio)
* Hardware decode it (decoding block)
* Interpolate to 60p using SVP (CPU/GPU)
* Hardware encode it (encoding block)
* Upload to test server (other part of LTE/wifi radio).

It'd be the ultimate Android benchmark, a true test of your phone's capabilities and condition. Hell, I'd probably pay for it as a separate app.

Hehe yeah, but i would not kill it with 4k videos lol, but low sized 1080p ones tongue (1.5GB to 4GB ones)

Is it really needed for a small screens? I have a strong feeling that phone provides smoother playback than on bigger screens, almost smooth enough to not bother.

James D
I agree with you. Smoothness is more noticeable at the bigger displays.
I don't want more than 24-30 fps at my 4" smartphone, but for displays more than 4" it can be useful.

For example I see difference between 30 fps and 60 fps video at my 9,7" tablet.

> Is it really needed for a small screens?

I've got a 18 inches Android "tablet" in hands big_smile

and every modern smartphone supports MHL

Nintendo Maniac 64
The obvious solution is to only use SVP for Android when charging.

... and it'll kill and blow up the battery big_smile

Yup, with all those "ultra-low power Intel CPUs" I kinda forgot about android tablets' existing.

14 (edited by myfakeacc 08-12-2016 11:01:41)

brucethemoose wrote:

I saw some Github chatter about the mpv devs not wanting an Android version, but that was a long time ago.

wm4 usually doesn't want much platform specific stuff inside mpv and rather have people use mpv as library. That's what some other mpv dev (or ffmpeg? can't remember) did to test feasibility of mpv android: https://github.com/mpv-android/mpv-android
I don't know if this is more than a tech demo or if it's really neatly usable (for end users). I recall having read something about gestures for seeking etc., so there should be basic functionality for that (in mpv-android).

15 (edited by brucethemoose 08-12-2016 12:28:49)

myfakeacc wrote:
brucethemoose wrote:

wm4 usually doesn't want much platform specific stuff inside mpv and rather have people use mpv as library. That's what some other mpv dev (or ffmpeg? can't remember) did to test feasibility of mpv android: https://github.com/mpv-android/mpv-android
I don't know if this is more than a tech demo or if it's really neatly usable (for end users). I recall having read something about gestures for seeking etc., so there should be basic functionality for that (in mpv-android).

Oh wow... That Android test build is awesome:

https://sli.mg/a/rOxoET

It even decodes DTS audio:

https://i.sli.mg/I4QYBN.png

4K HEVC isn't working on my HTC 10 (playback is slow), but to be fair it doesn't work in any other Android player anyway.

Chainik wrote:

Chainik/MAG, I think that day has come.

16 (edited by brucethemoose 08-12-2016 12:38:26)

Tested a bit more, spline36 and Lanzcos just don't work at 1080p with hardware decoding (though they do work with software). But the scaling to 1440p is hard to notice on a 5" screen anyway.

James D wrote:

Is it really needed for a small screens? I have a strong feeling that phone provides smoother playback than on bigger screens, almost smooth enough to not bother.

For me it doesn't matter the screens, i want fluidness no matter what size it's played on.

brucethemoose wrote:
myfakeacc wrote:
brucethemoose wrote:

Oh wow... That Android test build is awesome:

https://sli.mg/a/rOxoET

It even decodes DTS audio:

https://i.sli.mg/I4QYBN.png

4K HEVC isn't working on my HTC 10 (playback is slow), but to be fair it doesn't work in any other Android player anyway.

Chainik wrote:

Chainik/MAG, I think that day has come.

How did you install it? it's not even a apk in that link.

Duckers wrote:

https://github.com/mpv-android/mpv-android/releases

brucethemoose wrote:
Duckers wrote:

Nice thanks! Unfortunately it did not interpolate any frames, nor would it play any mkv files.

21 (edited by brucethemoose 08-12-2016 17:16:01)

Duckers wrote:
brucethemoose wrote:
Duckers wrote:

Nice thanks! Unfortunately it did not interpolate any frames, nor would it play any mkv files.

Wait, did you actually try a vapoursynth script?

Plays MKV files just fine for me. What phone do you have, and what version of Android?

Duckers wrote:
brucethemoose wrote:
Duckers wrote:

Considering it works for brucethemoose I'd say it's a bug.
Android is very fragmented (hardware as well as software) and I guess these ~2 developers can't test every device and version so I'd assume they appreciate bug reports.

myfakeacc wrote:
Duckers wrote:

Considering it works for brucethemoose I'd say it's a bug.
Android is very fragmented (hardware as well as software) and I guess these ~2 developers can't test every device and version so I'd assume they appreciate bug reports.

It might not even be the mkv file, but the way the video is encoded.

Try remuxing it into an MP4 without any re-encoding before you submit the report.

brucethemoose wrote:
Duckers wrote:

Wait, did you actually try a vapoursynth script?

Plays MKV files just fine for me. What phone do you have, and what version of Android?

Didn't know i had to add scripts?

S7 edge, android 6.0.1

Hey guys! It's 2019 now. Tons of Android TV-Boxes available on the market. With cool HW video decoders etc. So the smooth playback is the most important thing we should to manage in this year imho. Are there any news on this topic?