Topic: High CPU usage?

Hi,

What is the considered normal CPU usage when running SVP 4 with MPC-HC?  It seems to be using 70% of my CPU at all times.  Without SVP turned on, cpu load is very light for MPC.
I am running an i7-4770k overclocked to 4.3ghz.  I am using MadVR without any "enhancement" settings but just to detect and remove black bars.  I have the paid version of SVP if that makes any difference.
I guess I am okay with the CPU usage but I'd like to lower it if possible.
Tried running at movie x2 which is ~48fps but there seems to be any audio desync.  ~60hz looks best right now.


Thanks

Post's attachments

my_svp_settings.jpg, 109.78 kb, 602 x 633
my_svp_settings.jpg 109.78 kb, 354 downloads since 2016-12-05 

2 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 05-12-2016 20:49:31)

Re: High CPU usage?

1. Your CPU utilization will vary considerably depending on the video resolution, your display resolution,  the codec of the video, and the color depth of the video.

2. SVP has its own built-in function for automatially cropping black bars, so there's no need to use MadVR for that

3. If you aren't going to use MadVR, then you might as well use "Enhanced video renderer (custom presenter)" in MPC-HC; note that enabling "D3D Fullscreen" can reduce CPU utilization some (though it's more noticeable on low-end systems)*.



*also setting your resizer to "Bilinear" (not PS 2.0) can reduce CPU utilization, but on semi-modern systems this difference is usually quite minor as well and it can be quite detrimental to your video quality compared to using "Bicubic".

Re: High CPU usage?

50-70% CPU load is the target value for the "automatic options selection"

however I doubt that "i7-4770k overclocked to 4.3ghz" can be loaded up to 70% playing FullHD video, we're probably talking about higher resolutions here smile

===

> What is the considered normal CPU usage when running SVP 4?

60%

4 (edited by ktech 06-12-2016 01:27:27)

Re: High CPU usage?

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

1. Your CPU utilization will vary considerably depending on the video resolution, your display resolution,  the codec of the video, and the color depth of the video.

2. SVP has its own built-in function for automatially cropping black bars, so there's no need to use MadVR for that

3. If you aren't going to use MadVR, then you might as well use "Enhanced video renderer (custom presenter)" in MPC-HC; note that enabling "D3D Fullscreen" can reduce CPU utilization some (though it's more noticeable on low-end systems)*.



*also setting your resizer to "Bilinear" (not PS 2.0) can reduce CPU utilization, but on semi-modern systems this difference is usually quite minor as well and it can be quite detrimental to your video quality compared to using "Bicubic".


I'm just playing mostly 1080p h.264 files on a 3840x1600 resolution monitor.  I've changed the resolution on my monitor to 1080p and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Some of the movies where the aspect ratio flips back and forth from 21:9 to 16:9, madvr handles it perfectly -example Interstellar and the Dark Knight.
I will try MPV player without madvr and see if theres a noticeable difference.

Edit**  I installed reclock and the audio sync issue is gone.  I guess I will just run SVP in movie x2 mode.

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 06-12-2016 04:06:54)

Re: High CPU usage?

ktech wrote:

I guess I will just run SVP in movie x2 mode.

Is your monitor capable of 48Hz or 72Hz, possibly via a custom resolution?  If so, then using that would be better:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61595

6 (edited by ktech 06-12-2016 18:03:44)

Re: High CPU usage?

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
ktech wrote:

I guess I will just run SVP in movie x2 mode.

Is your monitor capable of 48Hz or 72Hz, possibly via a custom resolution?  If so, then using that would be better:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61595

Ya I guess I can do 48hz on the monitor.  Just too lazy to change it back and forth lol
I don't mind some artifacts.  They only happen in fast moving scenes.

7 (edited by James D 06-12-2016 19:01:48)

Re: High CPU usage?

ktech wrote:
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
ktech wrote:

I guess I will just run SVP in movie x2 mode.

Is your monitor capable of 48Hz or 72Hz, possibly via a custom resolution?  If so, then using that would be better:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61595

Ya I guess I can do 48hz on the monitor.  Just too lazy to change it back and forth lol
I don't mind some artifacts.  They only happen in fast moving scenes.

HRC lets you change it with any combo like Ctrl+Shift+4 = 48 and Ctrl+Shift+6 = 60.

8 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 06-12-2016 23:32:47)

Re: High CPU usage?

ktech wrote:

Just too lazy to change it back and forth lol.

Both MPC-HC and madVR have automatic resolution/refresh rate changers, so you can run your desktop at 60Hz while MPC-HC switches to 48Hz specifically for 24fps videos (before interpolation) - there was even a screenshot of MPC-HC's function attached at the end of that post I had linked to (link again for your convenience).

But even then, are you sure your monitor isn't capable of 72Hz?  My laptop for example only had a stock refresh rate of 60Hz, but I'm able to get it up to at least 75Hz without any frame-drops occurring.

Re: High CPU usage?

What's HRC?
My monitor has frame skipping issue when I overclocked it to 75hz.  I need an AMD card for freesync.

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 08-12-2016 03:54:14)

Re: High CPU usage?

ktech wrote:

My monitor has frame skipping issue when I overclocked it to 75hz.

But what about 72Hz?

(you wouldn't want to use 75Hz for 24fps videos anyway)

But even for 48Hz, there's still the built-in refresh rate/resolution changer in MPC-HC; I've attached the screenshot used in my "concepts" thread to this post (it is merely an example - you would obviously want to use 50Hz instead of 75Hz for 25fps videos due to your aforementioned frame-skipping).

Post's attachments

MPC-HC.png, 37.7 kb, 660 x 499
MPC-HC.png 37.7 kb, 359 downloads since 2016-12-07 

11 (edited by Anim8 09-12-2016 04:45:21)

Re: High CPU usage?

ktech wrote:

I need an AMD card for freesync.

The good news is Freesync should work with more video players soon, as it no longer requires exclusive full-screen to work.

AMD FreeSync, now in borderless fullscreen mode
http://videocardz.com/64496/amd-prepari … ver-update

Edit:
Driver update is available
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article … Notes.aspx

Also adds support for VP9 hardware decoding

12 (edited by ktech 28-12-2016 00:58:36)

Re: High CPU usage?

Just want to point out that I've switched over to PotPlayer x64 and the CPU usage has gone way down. 
There's almost no artifacts now.  I no longer use MadVR but instead use EVR custom present as the video renderer.

edit* artifacts masking should be set to strong not strongest

Post's attachments

PotPlayer.jpg, 141.17 kb, 751 x 564
PotPlayer.jpg 141.17 kb, 350 downloads since 2016-12-27 

SVP.jpg, 109.98 kb, 602 x 633
SVP.jpg 109.98 kb, 328 downloads since 2016-12-27