1 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 22-11-2016 03:43:34)

Topic: Built-in support for black frame insertion?

This seems like something that SVP could support internally since it already has "frame blending" capabilities via the "artifact masking" function, and said frame-blending could be used to increase/decrease how dark the inserted black frames should be.

Besides, as we move to emmissive displays like OLED, we don't need to worry about backlights not supporting strobing. Also adaptive sync tech is fundamentally incompatible with hardware-based backlight strobing, so software-based black frame insertion makes sense for these cases as well.

Re: Built-in support for black frame insertion?

The best black frame insertion is LightBoost from NVIDIA and the others hardware realizations of strobe backlight.
Software realizations are not suitable for human eyes wink

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 22-11-2016 07:20:23)

MAG79 wrote:

The best black frame insertion is LightBoost from NVIDIA and the others hardware realizations of strobe backlight.

Lightboost is not available on laptops, TVs, nor displays with adaptive sync.

MAG79 wrote:

Software realizations are not suitable for human eyes wink

On emmisive displays like OLED, software-based black frame insertion gives just as good of a result as hardware-based solutions save for the fact that you're limited by the display's maximum refresh rate.  But even on an LCD without backlight strobing, at least having the option to do black-frame insertion is better than nothing.

If you are concerned about flicker, that is why I mentioned SVP's "frame-blending" that is already done with the "artifact masking" function - this frame-blending can be used to adjust the balance between black and an interpolated frame and thereby allow the user to adjust the setting based on how sensitive they are to flicker.

Remember, 144Hz monitors are becoming more and more common, and 72Hz with black-frame insertion isn't that far removed from the 75Hz that CRTs and the DK2 Oculus Rift used.

You can write AVS-script to check. It is harmfull to eyes!
Black Frame Insertion ??

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 22-11-2016 08:01:43)

MAG79 wrote:

You can write AVS-script to check

I will appease you and check this.

EDIT: Hey wait a minute, SVP4 doesn't have an AVS folder nor a MSmoothFps.avs file...

I do however have video-encoding skills, so I could simply test this by manually inserting black frames.

MAG79 wrote:

It is harmfull to eyes!

Yet VR headsets use it because, without a ridiculously high framerate (around a thousand fps), you will eventually vomit.

Also many LED-backlit LCD displays without strobing already have displays that flicker, just at rates that most people can't see (my laptop and TV are such displays; my father with glaucoma can't see the flicker but I can with white images on a low backlight setting).

Display refresh rates are only getting higher, so why should such functionality be ignored purely because of people using 60Hz displays?  I mean, SVP can already detect the refresh rate so why not just make it be disabled unless your refresh rate is at least something like 120Hz?

EDIT: Also, you completely ignored the "frame blending" that I had mentioned which was specifically intended to reduce flickering.