Re: Dropped frames, dropped audio, high CPU load - Kaby Lake issue?

Chainik wrote:

May I suggest to turn off GPU acceleration in SVP?

I don't like that:

HD Graphics 620 ... Base clock (MHz) 300 ... Boost clock (MHz) 1000-1050

May it's a GPU part that throttling somehow hmm

That was actually my first reaction to this problem, since my experiences with GPU acceleration in SVP have always been mixed. Didn't help, but maybe I'll do it again and run the performance test with GPU turned off just to make sure.

ok, what about playing native 60 fps video w/o SVP?

btw "CPU overall" graph could be more interesting than a per-core view as it also shows the real CPU frequency

So I've just tried to reinstall SVP, disabled GPU, disabled throttling and Turbo using Throttlestop, ran a new performance test, moved the settings slider all the way to the left, and the result is unchanged, ergo I'm back where I started.

At least we're a little bit smarter now. One interesting thing I noticed was that the version of MPV that comes with SVP doesn't play anything well, even with SVP turned off, whereas the standard version works absolutely flawlessly.

ok, what about playing native 60 fps video w/o SVP?

I don't have any on hand, but on Youtube, it works fine. 4K plays fine as well when I use the rigth player and that should have 2 times the bitrate of 1080p60fps if my math is correct (I don't know if this translates into CPU performance though).

> I don't have any on hand
http://www.svp-team.com/files/demo/space_60.mkv

> the version of MPV that comes with SVP doesn't play anything well, even with SVP turned off, whereas the standard version works absolutely flawlessly

"SVP's version" differs from "standard" in the default config file which contains

vo=opengl-hq:backend=angle

did you tried different video renderers in MPC-HC, I mean all of them one by one, starting from "system default"?

30 (edited by brucethemoose 11-11-2016 00:47:17)

Chainik wrote:

> I don't have any on hand
http://www.svp-team.com/files/demo/space_60.mkv

> the version of MPV that comes with SVP doesn't play anything well, even with SVP turned off, whereas the standard version works absolutely flawlessly

"SVP's version" differs from "standard" in the default config file which contains

vo=opengl-hq:backend=angle

did you tried different video renderers in MPC-HC, I mean all of them one by one, starting from "system default"?

That, and SVP ships with an older build of MPV.

My suspicion is that bleeding edge versions of MPV (like the one I linked) support Kaby Lake, while the older version SVP installs does not. What about the newest version of plain MPC, does that work with and without SVP?

EDIT: And OP did try MadVR and MPC without MadVR  which means EVR I assume.

My suspicion is that bleeding edge versions of MPV (like the one I linked) support Kaby Lake, while the older version SVP installs does not. What about the newest version of plain MPC, does that work with and without SVP?

The newest version of MPC is over a year old, so from before Kaby Lake came out. I did try it, but it didn't make a difference.

Bingo. After trying out all renderer options in MPC-HC, I made the following observations:
Every option with no check for "DXVA" worked well.
Everything with a check for "DXVA" only worked in combination with D3D fullscreen.

MadVR did not produce useful results, even after checking/unchecking the D3D and fullscreen exclusive options in madVRs own settings.

The best result was by far achieved with Video Mixing Renderers.

There are nightly builds of MPC-HC https://nightly.mpc-hc.org/

> Every option with no check for "DXVA" worked well.
> Everything with a check for "DXVA" only worked in combination with D3D fullscreen.

99% it's a drivers issue. Intel drivers for the newly released hw always was a little bit... unfinished big_smile

> and SVP ships with an older build of MPV.

oops, for some reason I was sure that it's 0.21 already hmm

34 (edited by brucethemoose 11-11-2016 12:11:19)

Gotta love Intel's IGP drivers...

Well then, uninstalling your IGP drivers, cleaning out the leftovers with DDU, and letting Windows Update grab fresh ones isn't a bad idea.

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/vie … bd2e21a0a7

You could also grab the drivers from their site:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ … s-620.html

EDIT: Also it could be 0.21, I actually haven't checked SVP's version of mpv's build number myself. I just assumed that might be the case tongue

brucethemoose wrote:

Gotta love Intel's IGP drivers...

Unless you're on Linux using their open-source drivers, in which case loving their drivers is actually accurate.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. It's been quite Sisyphean again since I last posted.

The short version is that SVP is now crashing every time I try to assess system performance and basically doesn't work at all again.

The slightly longer version is that I have now an older driver than before, because my laptop apparently shipped with a version that is newer than what is provided by Windows update. I didn't even try the one from the Intel website, because it lists driver version 15, whereas my version is 20. Regarding SVP, it starts with MPV, but is completely laggy and unwatchable. It doesn't start at all with MPC-HC.

I guess my best bet is to just wait it out and hope that the drivers get updated soon?

Maphuse wrote:

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. It's been quite Sisyphean again since I last posted.

The short version is that SVP is now crashing every time I try to assess system performance and basically doesn't work at all again.

The slightly longer version is that I have now an older driver than before, because my laptop apparently shipped with a version that is newer than what is provided by Windows update. I didn't even try the one from the Intel website, because it lists driver version 15, whereas my version is 20. Regarding SVP, it starts with MPV, but is completely laggy and unwatchable. It doesn't start at all with MPC-HC.

I guess my best bet is to just wait it out and hope that the drivers get updated soon?

You sure? It says they're from November 9 on the website.

Whenever I get a new laptop, I like to wipe it and clean install Windows to get any bloatware and iffy drivers off.

brucethemoose wrote:

Whenever I get a new laptop, I like to wipe it and clean install Windows to get any bloatware and iffy drivers off.

That would've been the right thing to do. It's kinda too late now since I already installed so much software and some of it is a hassle to install because it has to be done by my employers IT.

Either way, you were right, the website drivers were newer than the windows ones. They still don't work properly, but at least I'm back to "normal".

39 (edited by brucethemoose 16-11-2016 10:32:04)

Maphuse wrote:
brucethemoose wrote:

That would've been the right thing to do. It's kinda too late now since I already installed so much software and some of it is a hassle to install because it has to be done by my employers IT.

Either way, you were right, the website drivers were newer than the windows ones. They still don't work properly, but at least I'm back to "normal".

Theoretically, all you have to do now is wait for the devs to update the version of MPV that ships with SVP, and (possibly) edit the config file so it uses a renderer that doesn't crash your system.

That should happen before Intel puts out another driver update. Heck, it might even work right now, since SVP's version of mpv uses ANGLE (aka DXVA) by default where default mpv doesnt.

These are probably the sections you want:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#options-hwdec

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#video-out … o-defaults

40 (edited by dlr5668 16-11-2016 10:43:10)

You may try this build https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code … 8enzU09p2y
Its auto build every 10 days on my PC.

input-ipc-server=mpvpipe
vo=opengl-hq:backend=dxinterop:scale=ewa_lanczossharp:cscale=ewa_lanczossoft:interpolation:tscale=mitchell:tscale-clamp:temporal-dither
video-sync=display-resample
video-sync-max-video-change=10
hwdec=d3d11va-copy
slang=enUS,en,eng,ptBR,pt
alang=jp,jpn,enUS,en,eng,ptBR,pt
save-position-on-quit=yes
autosync=10
script-opts=autospeed-nircmd=true,autospeed-speed=false,autospeed-nircmdc="C:\Users\vadash\AppData\Roaming\mpv\nircmdc.exe",autospeed-rates="50,60,71",autospeed-osd=true
log-file="C:\tmp\mpv.log"
fps=23.978

fps=23.978 for shitty anime releases  that get detected as 23.8
I use dxinterop, my bro angle

> since SVP's version of mpv uses ANGLE (aka DXVA)

ANGLE != DXVA

Chainik wrote:

> since SVP's version of mpv uses ANGLE (aka DXVA)

ANGLE != DXVA

Oops, you're right. Misread that in MPVs documentation.

Just wanted to report back that my playback is flawless now with mpv and SVP. I simply deleted the vo and hwdec settings from mpv's custom settings file. It's worth noting that mpv is worlds better than MPC-HC at this point, but I suppose that's still owed to the driver issues.

Everything up to 1080p plays without any hiccups on medium SVP settings, for anyone who is interested in the performance.

Playing 4k video with SVP is a pipe dream of course, but I was expecting that. I suppose it would only work with a recent desktop graphics card (I'll give that a shot when I get back to my desktop PC in half a year).

> Every option with no check for "DXVA" worked well.
> I simply deleted the vo and hwdec settings from mpv's custom settings file.

bottom line it's a DXVA decoder issue with Kaby Lake drivers

Congrats. Hopefully soon Intel will fix it BUT you are beter to let them know about the problem like create a ticket. Because unless they already know about a problem it may take months to fix it after you point it to them.

Maphuse wrote:

Just wanted to report back that my playback is flawless now with mpv and SVP. I simply deleted the vo and hwdec settings from mpv's custom settings file. It's worth noting that mpv is worlds better than MPC-HC at this point, but I suppose that's still owed to the driver issues.

Everything up to 1080p plays without any hiccups on medium SVP settings, for anyone who is interested in the performance.

Playing 4k video with SVP is a pipe dream of course, but I was expecting that. I suppose it would only work with a recent desktop graphics card (I'll give that a shot when I get back to my desktop PC in half a year).

With very low custom settings, 4k SVP might be possible on your laptop. MPV is already more CPU-efficient than MPC-HC, so that helps some.