1 (edited by James D 31-10-2016 23:52:03)

Topic: POLL: Enhancement to a Crop settings GUI

Right now there is practically no universal Set-&-Forget option to choose in Crop settings for all videos. Some of those options are more universal, some less but sooner or later you will have to disable or change those when watching different video.
For example:
- One bad thing about Fixed aspect ratio options I can say is that it's good for wide movies but it will cut actual valid information in 16:9 (like TV shows) or any other video which is narrower than chosen Cut to Fixed AR option. Also 1 of those 4 duplicates To Screen option anyways (unless 16:10).
- Percentage options (50%, 75%) are more universal but they will re-crop video which was already cropped when encoded to a close to screen AR (like 1.85:1) or recorded videos with few pixels of black bars etc. This is real bad due to worse picture quality and extra CPU load "thanks to" unneeded interpolation. Also it cuts valid information which by releaser who used crop wasn't supposed to be cut.
- Another bad habit of Percentage crop option is that it will crop 4x3 videos which were not meant to be cropped at all, all area is very informative in those type of video.

So I figured an easy way which would still keep current way of using it for those who want but also gives more intelligent crop management:

• You can set max target aspect ratio range so crop wouldn't be used further. For instance you can set 1.85:1 and video won't be cropped further to 1.84:1 and less with percentage crop (50%, 75%) unless chosen To Screen.

• You can keep old way by pressing Fit to fixed button and it will crop to fixed AR which you chose as max target.

• Option to set custom fixed AR (by clicking should move to corresponding field in additional settings tab where you could set your custom AR).

If you like this idea then show your support replying in this topic with feedback so developers would see how many liked it. And then perhaps it will be brought in the new version of SVP one day.

Post's attachments

svp 3.PNG, 65.42 kb, 513 x 584
svp 3.PNG 65.42 kb, 372 downloads since 2016-10-31 

2 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 01-11-2016 04:06:04)

Re: POLL: Enhancement to a Crop settings GUI

I would very much love this as I use non-standard aspect ratios in order to achieve a higher refresh rate than my would normally support - I can use true 16:9 for 90Hz, but for 96Hz I have to use a 1.83 aspect ratio and for 100Hz I have to use a 1.91 ratio.

James D wrote:

unless 16:10

Mac computers are pretty much exclusively 16:10, tablets are commonly 16:10 or 3:2, and Microsoft seems to prefer 3:2 for its newer "Surface" branded products.