1 (edited by THX-UltraII 01-11-2011 11:44:07)

Topic: Newbie questions

I m new on this forum and decided to register because the SVP topic on the AVS forum is not very active. So I thought to try it here with the questions I have.  smile

I own a HTPC and I want to see what SVP can do for me. The main reason I want to use it is because I have a JVC RS25 Dila projector which is a great Home Theater projector but really has a weak point: his smoothness. During moving camera scenes in movies the picture becomes blurry and I want to see what SVP can do for my without the need to buy myself a expensive new projector like the new Sony VW95 which does frame interpolation very good. My JVC has it s own frame interpolation setting but it s awfull and causes artifacts like hell, especially with the content I m watching: 23,976fps HD movies.

Ok, now you guys know what I want you could maybe tell me if I will benefit from SVP a lot. I know it will probably important to share my setup:

Hardware:
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 overclocked@3.0Ghz
4 GB DDR3 running @1333Mhz
MSI Cyclone 460GTX 1gb ddr5 oc edition overclocked running@880Mhz
1000Watt Power Supply

Software:
W7 X64 (disabled all services running in background that I don t need)
no Anti-Virus, Spyware and Firewall running in the background
MSI afterburner and Eventghost always running in background which takes some CPU but really not much
NVIDIA 285.58 WHQL driver
MPC-HC 1.5.3.3757 X86
madVR v0.77 as video output renderer
LAV video decoder 0.37 *

* with the LAV video decoder I use the so called CUVID option. This enables GPU hardware support to save a lot of CPU which works really great but what I want to say with this is that my GPU already has some tasking to do because of this HW decoding I m using, I don t know how much this exactly is.

Will my system be able to run 1080p23,976 content at full power/picture quality with my setup?

EDIT:
Is SVP also able to first decode a whole movie to 60fps?

Re: Newbie questions

THX-UltraII wrote:

you could maybe tell me if I will benefit from SVP a lot

May be your CPU is a little bit weak for high settings but it's worth a try wink
And 460 GTX should handle LAV CUVID + SVP + madVR at the same time.

THX-UltraII wrote:

Is SVP also able to first decode a whole movie to 60fps?

You mean "convert"? There's a good guide for 60 Hz conversion.

THX-UltraII
Q6600 + 460GTX is good enough for smooth picture from 24 fps to 60 fps in fullHD.

Will my system be able to run 1080p23,976 content at full power/picture quality with my setup?

Yes, it will. But "full power" is not equal to "best quality".

SVP have 3 presets for c2d, c2q and core i7 all optimized to maximum quality at constant performance. I recommend you to use one of them. Start from c2q. wink

Good luck.

4 (edited by THX-UltraII 01-11-2011 13:02:12)

thanks. What do I need to get things running and how do I configure them?

Like I said, I already have LAV video decoder so then ffdshow (if needed?) cannot be used then?

And does it make sense/will I benefit from a overclocked GPU or is it better to run it @core speeds?

Chainik
yes, sorry, meant coverting.

Is the advantage of converting that you can covert in the highest possible settings and unload your CPU a lot when you playback the converted file? And the disadvantage the (probably) long time the coversion will take?

THX-UltraII
I already have LAV video decoder so then ffdshow (if needed?) cannot be used then?

You should add "ffdshow raw video filter" in "Options" -> "External filters" section for SVP to work.

And does it make sense/will I benefit from a overclocked GPU

I don't know, I don't have GTX 460 wink More likely it doesn't matter.

Is the advantage of converting that you can covert in the highest possible settings and unload your CPU a lot when you playback the converted file? And the disadvantage the (probably) long time the coversion will take?

Yep  big_smile

You should add "ffdshow raw video filter" in "Options" -> "External filters" section for SVP to work.

Ok, and do I have to alter some settings in the ffdshow raw video filter?

I don't know, I don't have GTX 460 wink More likely it doesn't matter.

Does the LAV video decoder or SVP not work with the GPU Core Clock than?

Yep  big_smile

thanks

THX-UltraII wrote:

do I have to alter some settings in the ffdshow raw video filter?

See here.

thanks.

Another question: I use madVR as output renderer and play my movies with a custom resolution/refresh rate of 1080p23,976Hz. When I m going to use SVP my 23,976 movies are going to run @60fps right? Will I have to choose the 1080p60 setting in the NIVIDIA panel then?

THX-UltraII wrote:

When I m going to use SVP my 23,976 movies are going to run @60fps right?

Right. You can choose any refresh rate supported by you device. SVP will produce the same frame rate to the video.

11 (edited by THX-UltraII 02-11-2011 07:54:52)

MAG79 wrote:
THX-UltraII wrote:

When I m going to use SVP my 23,976 movies are going to run @60fps right?

Right. You can choose any refresh rate supported by you device. SVP will produce the same frame rate to the video.

I don t understand what you mean?
You are saying that if I choose the 1080p60Hz profile in NVIDIA control panel SVP automatically will convert 23,976fps to 60fps and if I choose the 1080p59Hz in NVIDIA control panel SVP automatically will convert 23,976fps to 59,97fps? etc?

EDIT:
I would also like to know if SVP works perfectly together with madVR. I ask this because madVR needs to get a PRECISE feed of the correct refresh rate. With this I mean:
With my current setup (you see in the first post) I feed madVR with a custom made res/refresh rate made in the NVIDIA control panel of 23,976Hz. I do this because the standard 23Hz profile of the NVIDIA control panel is actually 23,971 so you get so called dropped frames in MPC-HC/madVR because the deviation between 23,971 and the actual 23,976 it needs to be.

What my question really is if I will get problems with dropped frames with SVP.

ps. Going to pick up a Q9450 tonight as I got a opportunity to sell my Q6600 and get back a Q9450 for the same price  wink

THX-UltraII wrote:

SVP automatically will convert 23,976fps to 59,97fps? etc?

Yes. Exactly.

if SVP works perfectly together with madVR
I have no problem when use them together.

madVR needs to get a PRECISE feed of the correct refresh rate
You can use Reclock for this purpose. And No drops/double frames in video.

if I will get problems with dropped frames with SVP
I think, No. Quite no problems. With SVP You can manage each parameter:
- to detect precise current refresh rate;
- to detect precise current video framerate;
- to get automatic multiplier and devider for this framerate;
- to set multiplier and devider manualy.

By the way, my current display refresh rate is 59.914. And no problem with 59.94 video framerate. wink

I have no problem when use them together.

what kind of display device are you using?

You can use Reclock for this purpose. And No drops/double frames in video.

Can you post me your Reclock settings?

I think, No. Quite no problems. With SVP You can manage each parameter:
- to detect precise current refresh rate;
- to detect precise current video framerate;
- to get automatic multiplier and devider for this framerate;
- to set multiplier and devider manualy.

pffff, is this some kind of whole setup I have to walk throught after installing SVP? I m non really that good with these kind of things.

THX-UltraII wrote:

what kind of display device are you using?

monitor1: Acer AL2623W td (1920х1200, 25.5" IPS)
monitor2: Viewsonic VX2268wm (1680x1050 22" TN-120)
projector: PLUS U4-131 (1024x768 ~80" DLP)
(see MAG79)

Can you post me your Reclock settings?
All by default.

I m non really that good with these kind of things.
You don't need it. It is not necessary to use SVP and watch smooth video wink
Look at SVP as "plug and play" software smile

is this some kind of whole setup
Install all by default. All settings are optimized for automatic detecting and best work.
Ask us if you will facing any problem.

thxz for your quick responses!

I already have MPC-HC, madVR, ReClock and VCRedist installed on my system. If I download and install Avisynth 2.5.8 and ffdshow raw video filter and SVP 3.0.5 Lite, will I be good to go? I know you told me to add ffdshow raw video as external preffered filter in MPC-HC, but what do I need to do with Avysynth? Or is the installation of Avisynth enough and the rest goes automatic? And about Haali: I m using LAV splitter. Is this compatible with SVP?

THX-UltraII
If I download and install

Are you afraid of doing this or something? big_smile

Avisynth is required. You need to install it.
ffdShow is required. You need to install it.
After that You can install SVP 3.0.5 Lite and use it. wink