1 (edited by Duckers 28-07-2016 21:50:30)

Topic: Performance increases on cpu, but drops on gpu thus framerate drops?

i just tried virtual desktop for htc vive and svp, it works marvelous when setting the fps to 90 for the movies, but i notived that the movie (pixels) slows down to slow motion while the audio continues fine and ends up darn delayed in the video when all the details came around. Is that normal? CAuse normally svp only uses 30% gpu and 43% cpu.
Even when not using virtual desktop, this happens. And you can also see that the gpu performance drops to only 3%.

Image link cause it apparently was too big to upload here: http://puu.sh/qhSA7/fcc6e56ba0.jpg

Re: Performance increases on cpu, but drops on gpu thus framerate drops?

It could be the wacky issue where SVP isn't using enough threads.  Try to manually increase the amount of threads (Application settings -> Additional options -> Processing threads) until performance is good (assuming it does get better).

3 (edited by Duckers 29-07-2016 00:49:50)

I had it manually set to 7 as only odd numbers are available to choose from for some weird reason (1, 3, 5, 7, 9 instead of 1, 2, 4, 6, 8

Apparently, setting the processing threads to auto fixed it :S No more manual threading for me on svp lol

Now only to fix the biggest issue, getting svptube 2 to properly work.

Issue 1 with it: mpc hc either only loads 10 sec and freezes at 5 sec, or loads the full video, but still freezes at 1 sec
Issue 2: the player svp comes with plays the full video, but in slow motion.

Is reinstalling of svp the only way to fix this? or is there a workaround for this?

found that solution aswell! V+A mp4 causes this bug and choosing only MP4 fixes it.

So conclusion: manually selecting threads causes slowdown in heavy activity in movies for local videos and V+A causes issues for youtube.

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2016 01:20:41)

Duckers wrote:

So conclusion: manually selecting threads causes slowdown in heavy activity in movies for local videos and V+A causes issues for youtube.

Actually it's more likely that 7 isn't enough for your CPU - 7 is good for a dual core CPU, but for a quad core (especially quad with SMT) you really want something in the double-digits (at least 11, but even 17 isn't uncommon).

Umm, aren't we setting the threads here? My i7-4790k only has 4 cores (8 threads)

Duckers wrote:

Umm, aren't we setting the threads here? My i7-4790k only has 4 cores (8 threads)

And my dual core (without SMT) Pentium G3258 only has 2 threads, yet I need to set SVP to 7 threads to get the most performance out of it when I'm overclocked to 4.6GHz.

For whatever reason, when manually setting the thread count, you need to use more than double the amount of physical CPU cores that you have (though I'm not so sure this applies to SMT threads).  Since you have a quad core with 4 SMT threads, that'd be [4 x 2] + 4 = 12, so you really should have been using 13 threads as a minimum (possibly more if overclocked).