Topic: New GPU Recomendations

hi
this a copy of from the SVP post on AVSForums:

i have a dual core amd 5200 2.7ghz with 2g of ram and i am about to upgrade my GPU from an ATI 4650 to take advantage of SVP with OpenCL

i am considering a Geforce GT430 or a AMD 6570 at around £50

Will these be capable of getting 1080P and if so which is best?
i usually use ATI but am interested in the CUDA technology and CUVID

If not what qould you suggest

Thanks

Re: New GPU Recomendations

pacemaker1000 wrote:

hi
this a copy of from the SVP post on AVSForums:

i have a dual core amd 5200 2.7ghz with 2g of ram and i am about to upgrade my GPU from an ATI 4650 to take advantage of SVP with OpenCL

i am considering a Geforce GT430 or a AMD 6570 at around £50

Will these be capable of getting 1080P and if so which is best?
i usually use ATI but am interested in the CUDA technology and CUVID

If not what qould you suggest

Thanks

For me that nvidia gt 430 work only if you want to play HD, but if you want to play HD and Games then for me NVIDIA GTX 560Ti.. ok maybe expensive but it worth to save money to buy it. Its very powerful Gpu for gaming, Cuda and HD

Maken1

Maken1 wrote:

For me that nvidia gt 430 work only if you want to play HD, but if you want to play HD and Games then for me NVIDIA GTX 560Ti.. ok maybe expensive but it worth to save money to buy it. Its very powerful Gpu for gaming, Cuda and HD

not interested in gaming at all this is just a HTPC. Plus it must be passive cooled

pacemaker1000
Well then maybe that gt 430 would work enought for you

You can choose Video card by comparing SVPmark results (google spread sheet).

I get some results from there about GT430 and HD6550 (results of 6570 are absent to this moment). Here the table.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=647

Both the video card are enough to SVP, but 430 have better transfer speed, 6550 - better calculation speed. Transfer speed and GPU Score depends on CPU speed and MoBo shipset. wink

Post's attachments

HD6550_vs_GT430.png, 10.47 kb, 730 x 141
HD6550_vs_GT430.png 10.47 kb, 581 downloads since 2011-10-20 

pacemaker1000 wrote:

i am considering a Geforce GT430 or a AMD 6570

AMD 6570 faster at least 20%

thanks guys,i have been a ATI fan for years but i have read about the Nvidia Cuda and Lav Splitter/Cuvid etc which is making me consider the GT430
Is it worth it?
does anyone use it and can comment?

8 (edited by Rimsky 25-10-2011 11:52:00)

pacemaker1000
1) Go to SVPMark results table
2) Remember GT430/GT440 owners
3) Go to users list
4) Find and ask's GT430/GT440 users

9 (edited by loverhd 25-10-2011 11:52:00)

pacemaker1000 wrote:

thanks guys,i have been a ATI fan for years but i have read about the Nvidia Cuda and Lav Splitter/Cuvid etc which is making me consider the GT430
Is it worth it?
does anyone use it and can comment?

Apparently the alternative option for the movement smoothing is getting more and more mature. This is so-called Dmitri Render , which you can find in Google.

It does all the operations for the movement smothing right on the GPU, no CPU is involved. So the CPU load is about 0.
But it require quite powerful CUDA - enabled videocard. Which is GT530 and higher currently.
As the software is constantly being improved, it is getting more and more GPU demanding. So probably GT570 would be the right choice for now.

10 (edited by Rimsky 25-10-2011 11:58:45)

loverhd wrote:

So probably GT570 would be the right choice for now.

Dmitri Render author sad, that in future version he will realized some new features and he does't have enought time for optimizing code, so he advises after New Year holidays buy a top GTX570/GTX580

as for me, it's a clear madness to buy top hotest videocard for HTPC!

and it is not free as SVP, not crossplayers, it work only with MPC-HC

so I stay with SVP and Wait for AMD 7000 series  big_smile
I wish to  SVP  be compatible.  hmm

fooladi
I wish to  SVP  be compatible.
Sure! But someone have to buy "AMD 7000 series" for the developers big_smile

which developers do you mean? mvtools, AVSScript, ffdshow, mediaplayers, SVP ...  wink  hmm

SVP, of course smile

The chart that is here:  http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/GPU_Compatibility

It is showing a GTS 250 as being much faster than any other card for SVP.  Is there a reason for this?  Is this score also taking into account the CPU?

Also I am looking at the SVPMark results spreadsheet... what is the real-life full HD score that is a minimum for high-quality playback?  I'm trying to figure out how these charts translate to real-world performance.

17 (edited by Noweol 31-10-2011 07:10:59)

puwaha
GTS250 is enough for SVP

(if there're no other GPU-intensive tasks like CUDA-based decoders or madVR renderer with heavy pixel shaders)
. smile

"100%" means that the GPU could produce 60 FullHD frames per second but the actual speed still may be (and likely will be especially in high quality modes) CPU limited.

So a new processor will be more useful for speed.

puwaha wrote:

Also I am looking at the SVPMark results spreadsheet...

Choose "Frame size - FHD" and look to "Real tests details (FPS) - Good or high"

puwaha wrote:

t is showing a GTS 250 as being much faster than any other card for SVP.  Is there a reason for this? 

GTS 250 is the fastest card in that comparsion. It's obvious that GTX 260 is faster than 250 and GTX 580 is even faster - I just don't want to make the chart too big.

what is the real-life full HD score that is a minimum for high-quality playback?

minimum is ~1000, recommended - 1500

Thank you, seems I didn't scroll the window to the right to see the real-world FPS section.  So it seems that you need a Core i7 2600K with a Nvidia 480 or better to do 60 FPS on the "highest" settings.  That's a pretty powerful machine.

Is there much visual difference between "High" and "highest"?

I'm looking to build a new computer, and I was looking to see what it would take to use SVP to it's fullest.  I currently have a Core 2 Duo E7300 with the stock IGP, and the decent results at 480p and 720p make me want to explore this further.  I'm looking to build the perfect computer that can do SVP at 1080p and MadVR.

Anyone here using SVP and MadVR together at the highest settings?  If so, what type of system do you have?

20 (edited by Noweol 01-11-2011 07:27:03)

Are you sure that you are needed these settings? Rather, they are shown for comparison.
http://translate.google.ru/translate?sl … tests%2Fru (Unfortunately, there is no translation of this page)
"Good" profile is enough for films.

puwaha
"highest" test settings are insane, they're not for real-time but for re-encoding.
"good" or "high" are pretty good for real-time and I personally prefer "good" smile

That is good to hear, I just want to avoid as much artifacting as possible as it can distract from the interpolation effect.  So I don't want to go too low with system specifications that it is just on the edge of performing well all the time.  I guess I'm looking for enough power, but also with headroom.

So, a Core i5 or Phenom X6 processor with a Radeon 6670 or an Nvidia 450?  This would be sufficient for SVP and MadVR at the same time?

Hello everyone

i'm in the same situation as our friend except i already have my I5 2500k. Currently i am thinking two options

1) Buy a HD6790 around 129EUR
2) Buy a HD6670 70 EUR and a better CPU cooler 70 EUR and overclock the 2500k a little bit more.

The HTPC it's not intended for gaming. I use SVP MPC-HC and MadVr.

Bellow you can find a benchmark with the CPU at 4200 and cpu usage around 85-95%.

Test summary
-----------------------
  Date: 2011-12-27T18:35:53
  CPU:  Intel Core i5-2500K @3300 MHz [4 threads]
  GPU:  Intel HD Graphics
  Mode: FHD + CPU [6 threads]

Overall scores
-----------------------
  Synthetic CPU:                  MC2080
  Real-life:                      FC1693

Details: synthetic
-----------------------
  CPU: compose (single-threaded): 644
  CPU: compose (multi-threaded):  2421
  CPU: search (single-threaded):  484
  CPU: search (multi-threaded):   1824

Details: real-life /FHD
-----------------------
  decode video:                   13.37x (320.9 fps)
  48 fps - vectors search:        1.27x (61.0 fps)
  60 fps - frame composition:     1.35x (81.2 fps)
  48 fps - [SVP] fastest:         5.93x (284.4 fps)
  48 fps - [SVP] simple 1:        2.95x (141.7 fps)
  60 fps - [SVP] good:            1.32x (79.2 fps)
  60 fps - [SVP] high:            0.85x (51.0 fps)
  60 fps - [SVP] highest:         0.45x (27.2 fps)
  72 fps - [SVP] simple 2:        2.65x (190.9 fps)

simacom
At the time my personal vote goes to 6670.
But if you ever will want 120 Hz and/or 3D then may be 6790 is better...

25 (edited by simacom 27-12-2011 17:31:52)

No 3d or 120hz for at least 2 years.

I found 6670 with ddr3 or ddr5 with a difference of 20EUR . Does the different RAM speeds play a role in SVP?  Also which is better for SVP 1GB or 2GB version