1 (edited by tatselgir 30-05-2016 06:24:31)

Topic: Laptop and Performance Issues

After playing the video for a short time the FPS drops and the audio stutters. I read in the wiki that this is probably an overheating/overclocking issue? What can I do?

Also in the Log for one of the types of videos I am getting this
23:01:56.027 [E]: QWindowsPipeWriter: GetOverlappedResult failed. (The pipe has been ended.)

I am running an MSI GS70, Nvidia GTX 970M, MPC-HC and MadVR.

Re: Laptop and Performance Issues

> I read in the wiki that this is probably an overheating/overclocking issue? What can I do?

lower the settings to the point where it won't stutter even in the "overheated" (which means "with lower CPU frequency") state

Chainik wrote:

> I read in the wiki that this is probably an overheating/overclocking issue? What can I do?

lower the settings to the point where it won't stutter even in the "overheated" (which means "with lower CPU frequency") state

When you say lower the settings. Do you mean take the bar that says "Higher Performance <----> Higher Quality" to the left? Because it already is at the most left.

4 (edited by James D 30-05-2016 08:53:38)

Download Throttlestop, select profile Game for example, check Disable Turboboost checkbox and Turn on. If not enough then set lower multiplier there.

Post's attachments

Снимок.PNG, 50.18 kb, 637 x 389
Снимок.PNG 50.18 kb, 454 downloads since 2016-05-30 

you can also try to reduce GPU load by turning off GPU acceleration in SVP and/or switching from madVR to EVR

6 (edited by tatselgir 30-05-2016 09:32:17)

I'll try that now. Here is a screenshot of the SVP Tool http://i.imgur.com/skLJiuu.png

edit1:Uploaded the log. I'm guessing this screenshot was the end of the instance from 1:50 to 02:15

the frequency drops down to 1.1 GHz and even lower... too bad
do they really call this "a gaming notebook"? o_O

2.3 k dollars lol. I changed through 5 brand new ones because of so many issues. ive had this one for over a year. Maybe something is wrong with the CPU?

maybe something's wrong with the cooling system...
or "you're holding it the wrong way" (c) big_smile

10 (edited by James D 30-05-2016 11:38:23)

Cooling system is bad on GS series because it is promoted as very thin 17" gaming laptop.
So maybe now you will follow my advice?
1. You can't disable GPU acceleration because that will overload CPU even more.
2. You can't set iGPU as OpenCL device because it's in the same crystal of CPU.

So again... go back to Nvidia GPU and use Throttlestop to disable Turboboost and perceive a stability.

>>>Maybe something is wrong with the CPU?
Yes, you need to reapply thermal paste because default from the factory is so-so. But are you skilled enough to do that? If you decide to try then buy thermal grizzly Kryonaut or Gelid GC-Extreme. Both (especially second) are the best if you don't use liquid metal. If it is too expensive for you then pick up MX-4.

What happens if you increase the number of threads?

It depends on warranty but its worth to change CPU/GPU Thermal Paste (smth like this http://www.amazon.com/Coollaboratory-Li … B001PE5XAC or any quality one) and clean dust from cooling. I got -25c this way.

James D wrote:

Yes, you need to reapply thermal paste because default from the factory is so-so. But are you skilled enough to do that? If you decide to try then buy thermal grizzly Kryonaut or Gelid GC-Extreme. Both (especially second) are the best if you don't use liquid metal. If it is too expensive for you then pick up MX-4.

Ok I'll try the thermal paste first. Is Innovative Cooling Diamond better then the Kryonaut or GELID? What about the Coolaboratory?

14 (edited by James D 01-06-2016 09:12:22)

ICD 7 is one of the best too however it scratches notebook's crystal so...
Coollaboratory Liquid is liquid metal I wrote above which is dangerous to use. Practically I can't add anything aside from what I have already wrote in my previous post.

James D wrote:

ICD 7 is one of the best

I have that and I can only recommend it for high pressure mounts, like desktop aftermarket coolers or AMD's stock clamp bracket; laptops, not so much.

Another thing one can do if the laptop is out of warranty, if this is one of those derpy "modern" designs that lack an intake vent, you could take off the bottom panel of your laptop, mark where the panel lies directly above the fan, and then drill holes within that marked area.  Alternatively you can make a big hole and then glue pantyhose stocking material, modders mesh, etc over the hole