Topic: How do you lower frames to 48 fps from 144 fps in SVP4?

My computer can't handle doing the full 144 fps, and I'm trying to lower it to just double the video frames. Is there a way to do this in the free version of 4.0?

2 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 07-04-2016 07:07:49)

Re: How do you lower frames to 48 fps from 144 fps in SVP4?

Just to make sure, your CPU is nearly maxed out when trying to interpolate to 144fps, correct?  If it is not maxed out, then you should first probably try to manually increase the amount of threads that SVP uses (Application settings -> Additional options -> Processing threads) since it tends to be overly-conservative and  therefore leave performance on the table; fyi set it to the smallest value that gives you perfectly smooth performance (don't just max it out because, if you have perfectly smooth performance with 15 threads, then setting 23 threads will give higher CPU utilization without any benefit)

But even if your CPU utilization is not maxed out, sometimes you can still have wonky performance issues that can only be solved by doing one or more of the following:

1. If you use MadVR, enable "use direct3d 11 for presentation"

2. If you don't use MadVR but do use MPC-HC, enable "D3D Fullscreen" in 'Options' under "Output"

3. In LAVfilters (particularly the one built into MPC-HC if you use that), set your decoder to "DXVA2 (copy-back)"

4. If all else fails, try to disable GPU acceleration in SVP itself (Application settings -> GPU acceleration)

If none of the 4 suggestions listed above fixed your issue, then at least make sure you re-enable GPU acceleration in SVP; other than that the other settings can be left alone or changed according to your preference.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, to actually answer your question, the only way to do that in SVP 4 Free is to actually set your monitor to 48Hz. In order to do this you may need to make a custom resolution.

It is important to note however that, in SVP, doing 5x and 6x interpolation is considerably more intensive than 3x and 4x.  While 2x is indeed the least intensive, even mid-level systems should have no problems with 3x or 4x, so you may want to try those out before dropping all the way down to 2x.

If you use MPC-HC, I would also highly recommend using its built-in automatic resolution/refresh rate changer; info on setting it up (along with configuring SVP to activate even on high frame rate videos) can be found in this thread:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=56025

If you do not use MPC-HC, I believe MadVR has a similar automatic resolution changer, but I have no experience with it.

3 (edited by cookieboyeli 07-04-2016 07:57:40)

This is really interesting. Especially since I just got the 165Hz IPS Acer AOC XB271HU. (unfortunately it was too damaged on arrival to do anything with sad )
I'll probably be in the same performance bound situation soon though if I try to watch anything at 144Hz or even 168Hz! (If the monitor can do that)..
Perhaps I'll stick with 120Hz for the ULMB during movies though.

I'm not seeing any difference in CPU usage no matter what I do. It's around 35-38%. Then again I have no performance issues with 1080p. 4K is impossible to play for me, pegging all 8 threads at 99%. Maybe that is where I should be testing for now.

Question: Does increasing CPU usage decrease GPU usage or load in any way? By getting higher utilization will I be able to squeeze higher quality settings in anywhere?

Also:

3. In LAVfilters (particularly the one built into MPC-HC if you use that), set your decoder to "DXVA2 (copy-back)"

I was under the impression that SVP could not work with DXVA2 or LAV and required ffdshow... is this not the case? (When using MPC-BE and madVR?)
I must admit, I know far too little i this category.

(I know MPV doesn't need ffdshow, but I don't want to use MPV).

I was under the impression that SVP could not work with DXVA2 or LAV and required ffdshow... is this not the case?

DXVA2 HW decoding is proposed to offload the CPU for SVP, I think.

DXVA2 native does not work with SVP, but that's actually the only decoder that doesn't work with SVP.

DXVA2 copy-back, Intel QuickSync, Nvidia CUVID, and None all work with SVP.

6 (edited by cookieboyeli 26-04-2016 00:23:02)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

DXVA2 native does not work with SVP, but that's actually the only decoder that doesn't work with SVP.

DXVA2 copy-back, Intel QuickSync, Nvidia CUVID, and None all work with SVP.

Which should I use then?

I have my Intel iGPU disabled, but I have an Nvidia GPU.

CPU usage is usually around 35-40% but GPU is "maxed" at 83-87% because I'm using madVR. Anything more GPU than 83-87% and I get frame drops so I could benefit by offloading something to the CPU or using a more efficient decoder for the GPU.

I actually don't know how to switch between them. I'm using Shark007 codecs, if I select anything else from what's already selected SVP doesn't activate.
http://i.imgur.com/dtpzQyr.png

If I select LAV and change the decoder it it says it's active but SVP doesn't detect it.

http://cdn.overclock.net/8/80/80bac5ef_be.png
I tried doing this, but it uses FFDSHOW Raw instead. If I move that down or block it, SVP doesn't detect the video. How can SVP can work without any FFDshow stuff? So far I haven't been able to make that happen.

But I really don't know how this works. That's the downside of Shark007 codecs. It works so well with everything you don't have to fix anything and learn almost nothing. tongue
So I don't know the "chain of operation" of all these settings or even what these things are actually for...

cookieboyeli

how to switch between them

For example in LAV Vdeo Settngs: MPC-HC - menu View - Options... - Internal Filters - Video decoder

Post's attachments

LAV68_HW_decoder.png, 31.09 kb, 659 x 587
LAV68_HW_decoder.png 31.09 kb, 565 downloads since 2016-04-26 

LAV_HW_decoders.png, 29.19 kb, 638 x 520
LAV_HW_decoders.png 29.19 kb, 543 downloads since 2016-04-26 

Yea I figured that out and it says they're active.
HOWEVER, if I use the LAV video decoder instead of the ffdshow video decoder SVP will not detect the video.

9 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 30-04-2016 21:25:33)

cookieboyeli wrote:

GPU is "maxed" at 83-87% because I'm using madVR

This would be the perfect situation to have SVP use your integrated GPU while having madVR use your discrete GPU.

cookieboyeli wrote:

HOWEVER, if I use the LAV video decoder instead of the ffdshow video decoder SVP will not detect the video.

You do have the ffdshow raw video decoder set to "Prefer" in the external filters, right?

cookieboyeli
Don't use ffdShow decoder. Use ffdShow raw video filter.