401 (edited by NM64 13-04-2023 03:54:36)

Re: SVP 4 Linux

MikeLS wrote:

I recently (today) tried to recompile everything with av1 support, ended up with the same error about libdav1d

My revamped HTPC that uses Linux instead of Windows is looking to be ready before the end of the month... any status update regarding getting AV1 software decode working?

labre wrote:

That won’t work either. With rusticl, SVP will break for all open source drivers in the foreseeable future.

I don't suppose there's a status update regarding this now that RadeonSi has enabled RustiCL support in Mesa 23.1?:
https://www.phoronix.com/news/RadeonSI- … -Mesa-23.1

Please direct me to the write resource:
Following the Vapoursynth build instructions from the wiki, https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:Linux … om_sources, command "sudo ldconfig" does not come up with expected shell output. I'm getting

/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib/wsl/lib/libcuda.so.1 is not a symbolic link

However, I can run "vspipe."

There doesn't seem to be mention if these missing symbolic links are going to be a problem in the Vapoursynth or SVP posts. Should I continue to solve this issue? Should I continue asking here or on the Vapoursynth forum?

403 (edited by NM64 20-04-2023 18:31:51)

scifi95 wrote:

However, I can run "vspipe."

There doesn't seem to be mention if these missing symbolic links are going to be a problem in the Vapoursynth or SVP posts. Should I continue to solve this issue? Should I continue asking here or on the Vapoursynth forum?

First off, I'm totally not at all a Linux guru, so I am really not sure if I can actually help you...

But, can you at least confirm what vendor of GPU you are using - AMD, Intel, or Nvidia?

Thing is, if you are using AMD or Intel, then I wouldn't be surprised if you can ignore your issue because "libcuda" refers to CUDA which is Nvidia-only and could very well explain why you're getting the result that you are.

Hello, does anyone have experience in getting SVP to work in Steam deck?. I've installed VLC via the discover app and installed the VLC support from the installer but it doesn't appear that it working.

405 (edited by LordKordus 29-06-2023 20:32:25)

em312s0n wrote:

Hello, does anyone have experience in getting SVP to work in Steam deck?. I've installed VLC via the discover app and installed the VLC support from the installer but it doesn't appear that it working.

Install mpv from the discover app, it's built with vapoursynth and should work.

Any chance for new features or updates for linux users? Latest ver is still 4.5.0.210. RIFE would be a nice tool to mess around with.

LordKordus wrote:
em312s0n wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I used the 'open file via mpv...' option in SVP. video didn't play. I tried opening the file from mpv itself but it wasn't smoothed. thank you though

408 (edited by LordKordus 09-07-2023 18:09:06)

em312s0n wrote:
LordKordus wrote:
em312s0n wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I used the 'open file via mpv...' option in SVP. video didn't play. I tried opening the file from mpv itself but it wasn't smoothed. thank you though

Sorry, I forgot an important part. You need to configure MPV, so it knows where to get SVP's work.

With your file explorer, you can create mpv.conf file in ~/.var/app/io.mpv.Mpv/config/mpv and save this inside of it:

profile=svp
hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all

[svp]
input-ipc-server=/tmp/mpvsocket     # Receives input from SVP
hr-seek-framedrop=no                # Fixes audio desync
resume-playback=no                  # Not compatible with SVP

# Can fix stuttering in some cases, in other cases probably causes it. Try it if you experience stuttering.
#opengl-early-flush=yes

Or alternatively just run this in the terminal, this does it for you:

echo 'profile=svp
hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all

[svp]

# Can fix stuttering in some cases, in other cases probably causes it. Try it if you experience stuttering.
#opengl-early-flush=yes' > ~/.var/app/io.mpv.Mpv/config/mpv/mpv.conf

That should make it work. Open the video normally through a file explorer while SVP is running.

Note: This part is related to HW decoding, not SVP, if it gives you issues, remove it:

hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all

409 (edited by InnKeepNY 14-07-2023 20:58:56)

I've run into an issue in following the wiki instructions. https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:Linux … om_sources

when i run ./rebuild -j4 under mpv with Vapoursynth support everything runs fine until I get to:

make: Leaving directory '/home/erich/src/mpv-build/ffmpeg_build'
Using mpv options: -Dc_link_args='-Wl,-Bsymbolic' --enable-vapoursynth --enable-libmpv-shared --enable-vdpau --enable-xv --enable-x11 --enable-gl
usage: meson [-h] {setup,configure,dist,install,introspect,init,test,wrap,subprojects,rewrite,compile,devenv,env2mfile,help} ...
meson: error: unrecognized arguments: --enable-vapoursynth --enable-libmpv-shared --enable-vdpau --enable-xv --enable-x11 --enable-gl

I also am using the additional options from https://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopi … 787#p80787

I'm using Debian 12 so I expect I'm missing something important due to the differences between Ubuntu and Debian. I appreciate any help/pointers you can give,

@InnKeepNY i just tried to build on Ubuntu 22.04 and incurred similar error as you;

what idid is the following:

1. changed the content inside of "mpv-build/mpv/meson_options" to

-Dvapoursynth=enabled
-Dlibmpv=true
-Dgl=enabled
-Dvdpau=enabled
-Dxv=enabled
-Dx11=enabled
-Dwayland=enabled
-Dvulkan=enabled
-Dpulse=enabled
-Dlibplacebo=enabled

2. re-run "./rebuild -j4"
   at this point, the error would persist, eg. meson: error: unrecognized arguments: ....

3. would delete the whole "mpv-build" directory and re-download it via command

git clone https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build.git
cd mpv-build
./use-ffmpeg-release

4. this time would change the echo-arguments, and pass not entirely those from page 1 of the linux guide, but instead

echo --enable-libx264 >> ffmpeg_options
echo --enable-vaapi >> ffmpeg_options
echo -Dvapoursynth=enabled >> mpv_options
echo -Dlibmpv=true >> mpv_options
echo --enable-nvdec >> ffmpeg_options

5. ./rebuild -j4
now it would finish the compile, as desired.

good luck with Debian 12!

@kopqua - thanks so much for chasing it down. I'll post results as soon as I get a chance to try your suggestions.

412 (edited by InnKeepNY 19-07-2023 19:15:25)

So everything seemed to compile fine and everything works great except when Nvidia Optical Flow is engaged the following error pops up:
(on a side note I was able to compile with all of the flags I originally wanted to use. Not sure what changed, I don't THINK I did anything different.)

20:28:28.253 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - Script evaluation failed:
20:28:28.253 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - Python exception: SVSmoothFps: unable to init NVOF - code 720896
20:28:28.253 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - Traceback (most recent call last):
20:28:28.253 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - File 'src/cython/vapoursynth.pyx', line 2890, in vapoursynth._vpy_evaluate
20:28:30.010 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - File 'src/cython/vapoursynth.pyx', line 2891, in vapoursynth._vpy_evaluate
20:28:30.010 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - File '/home/erich/.local/share/SVP4/scripts/1e6af298.py', line 56, in <module>
20:28:30.010 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - smooth = interpolate(clip)
20:28:30.010 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
20:28:30.010 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - File '/home/erich/.local/share/SVP4/scripts/1e6af298.py', line 35, in interpolate
20:28:30.011 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - smooth = core.svp2.SmoothFps_NVOF(input_m,smoothfps_params,nvof_src=input_m8,src=input_um,fps=src_fps)
20:28:30.011 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
20:28:30.011 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - File 'src/cython/vapoursynth.pyx', line 2636, in vapoursynth.Function.__call__
20:28:30.011 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - vapoursynth.Error: SVSmoothFps: unable to init NVOF - code 720896
20:28:30.011 [E]: Playback [1e6af298]: VS - could not init VS

@InnKeepNY glad it could help somehow,
but i dont use Nvidia so cant help you with this error.

on a sidenote, you could try a precompiled mpv from deb-multimedia if you are willing to take the risk; it seems that it is an mpv with vapoursynth support "baked" in, but most probably it will miss some feature suppose.

this repository has helped me in the past, but sometimes got me into trouble aswell.

http://www.deb-multimedia.org/
http://www.deb-multimedia.org/dists/sta … ackage/mpv

@kapqa No worries. For me personally I prefer not to use Nvidia Flow anyway - some scenes just do not look right. Its for completeness of the project basically.
So in regards to Deb multimedia you have to make a choice of whether pr not you want/need wine. If deb multimedia is used, the files from there change the C libraries and wine needs them clean in order to function. By "rolling your own" you miss this issue.

Using SVP on Arch. It fails with HEVC videos

[vapoursynth] Script evaluation failed:
[vapoursynth] Python exception: SVSuper: Clip must be YV12
[vapoursynth] 
[vapoursynth] Traceback (most recent call last):
[vapoursynth]   File "vapoursynth.pyx", line 3121, in vapoursynth._vpy_evaluate
[vapoursynth]   File "vapoursynth.pyx", line 3122, in vapoursynth._vpy_evaluate
[vapoursynth]   File "/home/rtentser/.local/share/SVP4/scripts/abed140f.py", line 59, in <module>
[vapoursynth]     smooth =  interpolate(clip)
[vapoursynth]               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[vapoursynth]   File "/home/rtentser/.local/share/SVP4/scripts/abed140f.py", line 40, in interpolate
[vapoursynth]     super   = core.svp1.Super(input_m8,super_params)
[vapoursynth]               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[vapoursynth]   File "vapoursynth.pyx", line 2857, in vapoursynth.Function.__call__
[vapoursynth] vapoursynth.Error: SVSuper: Clip must be YV12
[vapoursynth] 
[vapoursynth] could not init VS
Disabling filter vapoursynth.00 because it has failed.

Works with AVC, but much less efficient than on windows

416 (edited by rtentser 01-08-2023 18:24:21)

Got rid of error with

--vf=format=fmt=yuv420p

mpv option, but still, no interpolation

UPD: Actually, after putting the option to config file it worked.
Still can't get 144 fps on linux, but it's another problem)

Anyone know where the option for reset on seek went? SVP Crashes if I seek backwards.

418 (edited by kapqa 25-08-2023 17:55:20)

@InnKeepNY
dont know if you have solved your problem already, but i had to install this package manually since else it would complain of "Error: nvdec not found ...." or similar.

what i did was to:

1. sudo apt install pkgconf
2. To compile the FFmpeg NVIDIA headers ("ffnvcodec"):

git clone https://git.videolan.org/git/ffmpeg/nv- … eaders.git
cd nv-codec-headers
make
sudo make install

maybe your error can be related to this, maybe can help someone too.
cheers

@kapqa -

Which part are you refering to? The compiling issue or the NVFlow one?

In regards to compiling everything compiles fine for me with the exception of:
echo --enable-libfdk-aac2 >> ffmpeg_options
echo --enable-libfdk-aac-dev >> ffmpeg_options

which borks it, so I leave them out.

In regards to NVFlow I just added:
libnvidia-opticalflow1 to the list:

sudo apt install nvidia-driver nvidia-cuda-dev nvidia-cuda-toolkit libnvidia-opticalflow1 firmware-misc-nonfree

and so far so good - I have not encountered the error message you mention - WHEW!

A HUGE kudos to you for helping me out - everything is running smoothly in Debian 12 stable. WHOOT!

LordKordus wrote:
em312s0n wrote:
LordKordus wrote:

Sorry, I forgot an important part. You need to configure MPV, so it knows where to get SVP's work.

With your file explorer, you can create mpv.conf file in ~/.var/app/io.mpv.Mpv/config/mpv and save this inside of it:

profile=svp
hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all

[svp]

#opengl-early-flush=yes

Or alternatively just run this in the terminal, this does it for you:

echo 'profile=svp
hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all

[svp]

#opengl-early-flush=yes' > ~/.var/app/io.mpv.Mpv/config/mpv/mpv.conf

That should make it work. Open the video normally through a file explorer while SVP is running.

Note: This part is related to HW decoding, not SVP, if it gives you issues, remove it:

hwdec=auto-copy
hwdec-codecs=all

Sir I wanna thank you! this worked. finally get to watch on 60 fps on the bed. cheers

421 (edited by InnKeepNY 06-01-2024 04:42:22)

I was if there were any tips/guides in reference to Fedora? Anything I seem to be able to come up with is outdated. I've managed to get through most of the tutorial with the exception of compiling mpv.
For the most part I hav been able to find ifedora equivelencies until I get to the hardware NVIDIA stuff where I can't seem to match it up.

Any help would be appreciated. I am using fedora 39 KDE spin with nvidia driver Version: 545.29.06 and CUDA Version: 12.3

--- On a whim I decided I would judt try it and lo and behold it seems to be working just fine. I need to figure out what I did so I can reproduce it on another install. The weird thing is that the ONLY thing that shows up in the events log:

19:00:39.447 [W]: Object does not exist at path “/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/2”
19:02:43.793 [W]: Object does not exist at path “/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/2”

This would seem to me that it should not be working. Wierd!

422 (edited by RedSnt 03-02-2024 08:21:44)

Switched to MX Linux (debian based) the other week and it's been surprisingly easy getting SVP to work. Biggest problems were getting CUDA support installed and figuring out what 'caused weird instability, but turns out that was the "black bars" stuff, in particular "alter video frame size" option. With all that disabled it runs like a dream and I have GPU acceleration. 
I was surprised that my Windows license wasn't needed for linux. But glad I've supported in some small way either way. 
Oh, one thing that might be better regarding the installer, wouldn't it be better if its default/suggested path was /opt/SVP 4 instead of ~/SVP 4? Personally I hate clutter in my home folder.

Is it possible to add support for the modern Plex app available from https://flathub.org/apps/tv.plex.PlexDesktop ?

Adding "input-ipc-server=/tmp/mpvsocket" to ~/.var/app/tv.plex.PlexDesktop/data/plex/mpv.conf does not work for me.