Topic: SVP with hybrid video

I just ordered the complete DVD collection of Babylon 5 (PAL, Region 2) and did some research. Apparently it's in "hybrid" video format. For original NTSC, it's 24 fps for live action scenes and 30 fps for CGI scenes, and I guess the PAL version is 25 and 50i.

So I was wondering, how does SVP handle videos like these? Are there there any settings that would produce the best result?

Setup:

LAV filters
FFdshow
Madvr
Reclock
SVP

Re: SVP with hybrid video

ITN
In general no way to successfully interpolate with SVP4 such non standard video on-the-fly without any tricks.

I know 2 standards: PAL (25/50) and NTSC (24/30). And one DVD must be either PAL or NTSC. It is very interesting to see 24, 25, 30 and 50i videos on one DVD.
Fisrt, I need example of video. Share to me any .vob file from that DVD please. I will look.

I meant that different region DVDs handle this differently. Region 1 NTSC is 24/30 and Region 2 PAL, which I will have, is 25/50i (From what I can gather)

So, how would SVP handle the 25/50i switch?

it should work correctly if LAV Video decoder will handle that 25p <-> 50i switching on the fly

ITN wrote:

how would SVP handle the 25/50i switch?

SVP needs progressive as input. If you will use LAV decoder with HW-deinterlace (50/60 fps and Auto settings) then you will get 25p or 50p after decoding video automatically. SVP can handle it correctly.
But if some of frames will be duplicates (dropped frames) then such video will needed some additional processing to remove drops (usually it called frames decimation).

Ok, thanks for the answers.

Ok, So I have the Discs, and copied everything to MKV containers.

The video is 25i, and after deinterlacing naturally 50 fps, which does not work well with SVP and 60hz.(On top of that I'm using PAL speed down). I can force the video to 25 fps, and then SVP works fine for the film parts, but some CGI parts appear to stutter.

I'm guessing decimation of the film parts would work, but I have no experience on the subject. Is it possible on the fly, with SVP (or ffdshow)?

ITN
50 fps, which does not work well with SVP and 60hz
SVP4 PRO tray menu - Application settings - Additional options - All settings - change value of frc.target.max to 55.
And SVP will work with 50 fps and will interpolate it to 60 fps.

Decimation on-the-fly is possible but I don't know one click solution.

Thanks, that did solve the 50->60 issue and the CG scenes look nice like that. Of course the film parts look less smooth than 25->50 but I guess this is an ok compromise for now without easy decimation solution.

Just watched one movie. "Misseu Waipeu". The file I downloaded has 29.97 fps. It is telecined version of 23.976 fps video. And I can watch it with 29.97 > 23.976 convertion and with SVP in real-time.
I watched so whole movie.

Instruction.
1. Download TIVTC plugin and copy TIVTC.dll to Avisynth\plugins folder.
2. Write script: create new file and save it with .AVS extension

DirectShowSource("movie.avi")
TDecimate(cycle=5)

where "movie.avi" is file name of your movie on the disk.
3. Right click on the .AVS file and choose "Open with", browse to mpc-hc.exe (or your player's executable) and click Open.

Great! I will have to try that when I have the time.