Topic: MPC crashes when attempting to play .mp4 files

Hello,

I tried installing the newest SVP 4 (free) and when I attempted to play .MP4 and .WMV files, MPC just closed instantly. But .AVI / .MKV files worked fine, though.

I dicked around with the codec settings etc. but I couldn't figure out the problem. I am currently back on 3.1.7 and that works fine. Any thoughts?

System specs:

Win 7 Home 64-bit
CPU: C2Q 6600 @ 3.0GHz
GPU: NV GTX 560 1GB
RAM: 8(2x4) GB DDR2@800

Re: MPC crashes when attempting to play .mp4 files

You can have SVP3 and SVP4 installed in the system but launch them only one at one time.

Your issue is very strange. If you exit SVP do you have player cashes with .MP4 and .WMV files?
If not then check what difference in filter list comparing to .AVI and .MKV.
Open file in MPC-HC - menu Play - Filters - Copy filters list to clipboard - paste to notepad or here to the forum.

3 (edited by McMick 04-02-2016 22:41:37)

Thanks for the response!

It's just one of those things that make me heave a long sigh. I've had the same OS installation for 7 years now and I've burned through numerous iterations of VLC / MPC / SVP / K-Lite Mega Codec Pack / various other miscellaneous encoders and decoders. I probably need to uninstall everything, clean up the registry and try again. I posted here with hope for a quick easy fix, but I knew it would probably require actual troubleshooting.

Give me a week or so and I'll try to clean up the system and make another installation attempt. If I still have problems, I'll come back here and reply to this thread. Thanks again.

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 04-02-2016 22:57:35)

Actually, before you do that, try a copy of MPC-HC Portable:
http://portableapps.com/apps/music_vide … c-portable

Then follow the instructions here to configure it for SVP:
http://svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:MPC-HC

After that, close the program and then open a video file in portable MPC-HC and see if it works with SVP or not.

Just note that, if you are a user of Livestreamer, it will not work with this version of MPC-HC.