1 (edited by hoover1979 06-01-2016 23:46:05)

Topic: FFDShow codec upscales as neares neighbor on all but native resolution

Every time I try to play a movie that is a lower resolution than my Native resolution (1920x1080) it processes the filters first, then resizes to 1080p as nearest neighbor.  This means DVD and SD video files are blocky as hell and if I add shaders or set up filter effects, they to are processed first and then resized to nearest neighbor.

This means if I do not want a SD video to look blocky I need to resize it to 1080p with format factory.

Why could this be happening.  I am not using codec packs.   And this effects ALL video playing apps.  MPC-HC, MPC-BE, PotPlayer, VLC, PowerDVD, Windows Media Player, Total media 5, etc.

I have tried every possible workaround I could google but alas, no dice.

WTF do I do?

I am posting here as I am currently using the FFDShow that came bundled with SVP 4 Pro. (But all other versions of the filter do this as well.  Even with SVP4 uninstalled This happens)

I am tearing my hair out over this, HELP!

Using i7-4790k, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 DDR3 RAM and 4Gb Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming.

Re: FFDShow codec upscales as neares neighbor on all but native resolution

Well, just to make sure, MPC-HC's own resizing is set to something other than nearest neighbor, right?

Also, what happens if you use MadVR + MPC-HC?

hoover1979
Why do you think that upscaling does the ffdShow filter?
Check every filer in filter list. MPC-HC while playing SD reslution video maximize player window and open menu Play - Filters.
For each video filter (LAV video, ffdShow, ) open its window - Pin Info tab - look to resolution in pin [In] and in Pin [Out].

What I see on my system (and I think it must be so):

Filter : LAV Video Decoder
[In]
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 640x356 25fps 527kbps
[Out]
Video: YV12 640x356 25fps

Filter : ffdshow raw video filter
[In]
[Out]
Video: NV12 640x356 25fps

Filter : Enhanced Video Renderer
[In]

So the render does the upscaling.

hoover1979 wrote:

And this effects ALL video playing apps.  MPC-HC, MPC-BE, PotPlayer, VLC, PowerDVD, Windows Media Player, Total media 5

Then I think it is video. Can you give me a link to this video to take a closer look?

Looks like GPU driver or video renderer problem.

5 (edited by hoover1979 09-01-2016 03:09:02)

I discovered how to get out of nearest neighbor.  It is in FfdShow RAW Video filter.

The problem is if I use resize at all, not only can I not use SVP at all but even without SVP on if AVISynth is checked (SVP Requires that) I get 10-15FPS jerkyness and the audio goes out of sync and cuts out for 1-2 seconds every few seconds.

I even have the lightest settings in resize (Fast Bilinear) and still get this issue, in fact it is no difference in lack of performance then 10 tap Lanzcos. (With AVIsynth disabled performance is flawless (but no interpolation)

I can not play videos that are either higher or lower resolution than 1080p with SVP even installed unless I disable resize in the FfdShow Raw Video filter and having to endure blocky ****ty videos.

Some lines are probably needed in the AVISynth script but I have no Idea where?

Help needed.

The script in my AVISynth is:

global svppath="C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Roaming\SVP4\"
try {
   import(svppath+"scripts\e0632.avs")
}
catch(err_msg) {
   ffdshow_source().Subtitle(err_msg)
   WriteFileStart(svppath+"logs\err-e0632.avs.log", "err_msg")
}

How do I change this so SVP still works without my framerate on all videos below my native resolution (1080p), and all videos above my native resolution (With or without SVP) being F.U.B.A.R.?

hoover1979
Why you need resize in ffdShow? It can use only one thread of your CPU. It for testing purposes only.
Just disable it. Use resize in the renderer. It gives you more quality and it much faster.

And you can't edit script at ffdShow Avisynth tab. It automatically generated by SVP.
If you have SVP4 PRO then you can add conditions about source video resolution.

7 (edited by hoover1979 09-01-2016 09:02:49)

resize in the renderer doesn't work for me.  I tried VMR9, EVR (Custom Presenter) and MadVR and without resizing in FFDShow Raw Filter it processed the video, then resized in Nearest Neighbor regardless of the settings and ended up looking atrocious if it was smaller than 1080p

However I got things working now after first uninstalling MPC-HC, then AVIsynth, then FFDshow, then LAV, then Reclock, then SVP4 Pro and reinstalling SVP4 pro.  The resize in FFDshow Raw Filter was still there and I did not get a near slideshow with AVIsynth enabled.  On a bonus I can render via SVP 4 in EVR (Custom Presenter) with max settings up to 90FPS (Including Artifact Masking = Strongest)

Woot Woot!!!!

hoover1979 wrote:

However I got things working now after first uninstalling MPC-HC, then AVIsynth, then FFDshow, then LAV, then Reclock, then SVP4 Pro and reinstalling SVP4 pro.

Things will work out-of-box if you were installing all necessary components from SVP4 Pro package from the first place.

Conversely the most probable thing you get when installing codecs independently is problem.

That's why codec package available for convenience in order to avoid those kind of problems.