1 (edited by tingtong5 11-12-2015 09:33:36)

Topic: Using remaining cpu power to reduce artifacts?

My CPU has some room to do some extra processing ;-)

Does setting the SVP shader to complicated instead of default lead to better results? Better as in: smoother and less or same amount of artifacts?
Or does it create more artifacts as well?

I am using profile 5 settings and looking for a way to finetune settings in order to decrease artifacts or increase smoothness without creating more artifacts.

Ronald

Re: Using remaining cpu power to reduce artifacts?

More artifacts = less smooth and vice versus. Try it on different content.

3 (edited by tingtong5 11-12-2015 09:35:39)

dlr5668 wrote:

More artifacts = less smooth and vice versus. Try it on different content.

I suppose you ment: more smooth = more artifacts?

Maybe I should rephrase my question:

When using profile 5 (svp3) and having idle cpu cycles left, what settings could I change in order to have less artifacts without changing smoothness?

Of course I test as well, but sometimes this is very subjective and therefore I am looking for theoratical preferred settings first, then testing (as opposed to just changing settings randomly).

4 (edited by mashingan 11-12-2015 09:58:16)

tingtong5
From SVP wiki
http://i.imgur.com/F7ElFCI.jpg

tingtong5 wrote:

When using profile 5 (svp3) and having idle cpu cycles left, what settings could I change in order to have less artifacts without changing smoothness?

Changing your monitor refresh rate to multiple of video frame rate, for example if the video fps is 24 then make your monitor refresh rate 72, 96, 120, or 144 wink

You can try different values of artifact masking, and decide when you deem the most balanced between smoothness and artifacts.
More masking, less artifacts, less smooth.
Less masking, more smooth, more artifacts.

5 (edited by tingtong5 11-12-2015 11:31:55)

Thanks! Strangely enough I found a bit different description on the wiki of wat complicated shader does. But this is very helpfull!

Unfortunatly my JVC HD350 does only accept 24/50/60 hz refresh rate and not 48 or 72.

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 11-12-2015 19:37:59)

I use the "Complicated" shader all the time and it's definitely smoother than the "Standard" shader, but it will give more artifacting - particularly on thin lines.  In general, the higher the source framerate is and the higher the resolution is, the less amount of artifacting you will get with "Complicated".

Also, if you aren't already, use "Uniform" rather than "Adaptive" since that will also give smoother motion but, IMO, without any extra artifacting (technically it's supposed to have more, but I certainly don't notice any).

tingtong5 wrote:

Unfortunatly my JVC HD350 does only accept 24/50/60 hz refresh rate and not 48 or 72.

Have you tried making a custom resolution?  Just because a display doesn't accept it by default doesn't mean it can't handle it (my 1080p TV doesn't accept 1080p over VGA but it totally works if I make a custom resolution).

I just decided to go back from Complicated Shader to Standard Shader setting, I do find the amount of extra artefacts unacceptable. I am watching on 2,50m wide screen by the way.

Thanks for the advice about uniform, will try that! I am using profile default settings now, except for Artifacts Masking, which I changed from Disabled to Weakest. This works best for me (smoothness versus artifacts).

Yes I tried custom resolutions, I did not work.

tingtong5 wrote:

Does that include 48Hz?

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
tingtong5 wrote:

Does that include 48Hz?

Yes, I tried 48/72/120 Hz....

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 15-12-2015 18:43:52)

tingtong5 wrote:
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
tingtong5 wrote:

Does that include 48Hz?

Yes, I tried 48/72/120 Hz....

Did you try "Reduced" timings?  Some panels only accept custom resolutions using that, even with refreshrates and resolutions that are known to work (my HP DM1 laptop is an example of this).