Topic: Laptop for around $1000 usd for madvr and svp

Hi, what kind of cpu and gpu would a laptop need to have to run madvr and svp? I would like to be able to use superxbr chroma scaling at least on madvr, no frame doubling, and get to level 4 svp if possible. I know svp is heavily cpu limited and I'm not sure if laptop CPUs are powerful enough... Is this possible to do for 1000 usd?

2 (edited by dlr5668 09-12-2015 22:14:23)

Re: Laptop for around $1000 usd for madvr and svp

Aim for Core I7 + decent gpu.
ASUS K501LX
999$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … -_-Product
http://i.imgur.com/tk6F1bj.png

Personally I don't think combining Nvidia and Windows 10 is a wise idea...

Besides, AMD GPUs are especially fast at compute.

Nevertheless, until Zen APUs are a thing, I'd go with a quad-core 8-thread Intel CPU combined with a discrete AMD GPU, but only if you're able to set the Intel GPU for SVP and the AMD GPU for MadVR.

jaytrinitron
What are you going to do with overheating in powerfull laptop?

I have Asus s200e ultrabook in such case with weak core i3 CPU (17 Watt only). And it can work 2 minutes till it get 90 C and start throttling wink

Post's attachments

asus_s200e.jpg, 64.35 kb, 755 x 566
asus_s200e.jpg 64.35 kb, 458 downloads since 2015-12-10 

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 10-12-2015 08:27:08)

The key is to get a laptop with an intake vent...which is not many laptops anymore. tongue

5-10 years ago all laptops had intake vents, but now few of them do in the name of aesthetics (or maybe even planned obsolescence).  My HP DM1 laptop didn't have any intake vents and it's a total pain to replace the thermal paste (you literally have to disassemble the entire laptop), but the fan was running really fast and loud even with the processor undervolted; so because the laptop was out of warranty I just took the bottom cover off and drilled some holes into said cover - it made a heck of a difference cooling-wise. (I'm not the only one to drill holes into the bottom cover of their laptop to improve airflow either)

If you don't have a power drill, you can instead remove the bottom cover, cut a large hole so that the fan would be exposed, get some black or grey fabric from pantyhose nylons and stretch it across entire hole and then glue it onto the inside of the laptop cover (I recommend putting weights on top of the nylons where you put the glue until it's dry).

I wouldn't be surprised if more business-focused models like HP's Elitebook series still have intake vents since they're designed more around functionality than aesthetics.  For example, my sister's Elitebook 8440p with a 35w TDP Westmere i5 and a discrete Quadro GPU simply will not go above 65c due to good airflow and freshly-applied thermal paste (the fans do get moderately loud however)

MAG79 wrote:

jaytrinitron
What are you going to do with overheating in powerfull laptop?

I have Asus s200e ultrabook in such case with weak core i3 CPU (17 Watt only). And it can work 2 minutes till it get 90 C and start throttling wink

Sorry to reply so late. While I see your point, laptops with more powerful CPUs can have good cooling systems that keep the machine from throttling too much or even throttling at all.

BTW, I found two instructions how to modify my ASUS s200e smile
1. FIX for Asus Vivobook X202E, Q200E, or S200E laptop CPU overheating and thermal throttling
2. ASUS Vivobook S200, X202E, Q200 overheating / thermal throttling SOLVED

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=3912

Post's attachments

asus_s200e_throttling_fix.jpg 175.98 kb, 159 downloads since 2015-12-16