1 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 04-10-2015 22:04:02)

Topic: Crazy-high CPU usage from SVP on a specific video

The following video at around 4 minutes in gives the highest CPU utilization I've ever seen from SVP:

Possible epileptic warning?
https://youtu.be/jCdQyXkCjgw?t=3m56s

Normally on my 4.6GHz Pentium G3258 I can run 30fps 720p h.264 YouTube videos in SVP at 90hz with Uniform + Complicated + 12px + half pixel easily with like only 50% CPU utilization*.  However, at the mentioned location in the above-linked video, using the same 30fps 720p h.264, I could only manage using Uniform + Standard + 14px + two pixels for a resulting CPU utilization of 80% at its peak or alternatively 95% CPU with 12px.

That's pretty crazy seeing as those are the same settings I normally use on my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo without any GPU acceleration for 30fps 720p FLV1 videos (though at 60hz).

These are all tested in MPC-HC 1.7.9 + LAVfilters 0.66 with "D3D Fullscreen" enabled and "accurate vsync" disabled; the actual YouTube format is fmt22 (non-DASH 720p MP4, the one with 2.5-3Mbps AVC High@L3.1 + 192kbps AAC-LC).

*Link to a video that I normally test with

I just wanted to share this in hopes that maybe it'd be useful to somebody as a "worst case" performance scenario for SVP.

Re: Crazy-high CPU usage from SVP on a specific video

Thanks! This's exactly the thing I was looking for big_smile
Do you have something like this available in ALL resolutions, including 4K? or at least in 1440p

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 05-10-2015 07:44:13)

Re: Crazy-high CPU usage from SVP on a specific video

Chainik wrote:

Do you have something like this available in ALL resolutions, including 4K?

It's not my video, so no.  Heck I don't even own the game (I'm not sure my Pentium G3258's integrated GPU would hold up!).  Also I know that the uploader of that video uses a 1920x1200 monitor, so even he wouldn't have such a thing.

However, you might be able to cheat and just upscale and then re-render the video in question.

Secondly, it is a game that is available for purchase though several digital stores, so technically you could even manually replicate the visual situation shown in the video and make your own recording at whatever resolution you wish to run the game at.

If your monitor is only 1080p or similar, you could possibly use "downsampling" which allows you to output and render at a higher resolution than your monitor supports, and then record that via your on-screen recorder of choice.

EDIT: Here's a link to purchase "game" (or 'toy' as mentioned in the video):
http://panoramic.al/#buy

EDIT 2: To clarify what I meant by replicating the visual situation shown in the video, if you listen to what the commentator says in the surrounding minutes of that video, he alludes that you can see the "settings" used for the visual situation in the bottom-left of the screen, thereby allowing anyone to re-create the situation.