Topic: VLC & Kodi

I recently joined with the $101 package.

I see from the link below that neither VLC or Kodi players are supported:
http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:Video_players

From that info, it seems unlikely that SVP is going to support VLC & Kodi .

Question -- Is SVP  likely to support VLC & Kodi in the near future?

(If "no "  -- I'm sure you have your reasons and there is no need to go into them here -- but unfortunately, SMV will be of no use to me as I don't use any of the others.)

Re: VLC & Kodi

davo
Is SVP  likely to support VLC & Kodi in the near future?

Depends on what is "near future" for you  big_smile

3 (edited by davo 13-08-2015 13:05:53)

@ Chainik -- Thanks for your reply.

Apologies, sorry to be so vague in my question. Let me try this.

Is SVP going to support VLC
( regarded by many as the best & most popular public domain open source media player 4/5 stars from over 3,600 reviewers) and Kodi (quite an amazing multimedia player, especially when teamed with the available streaming apps) ?

If yes, exactly when will it be implemented?

If no, am I able to get a refund?

davo
Is SVP going to support VLC

May be yes, may be no.
Current development plans are for vapoursynth / mpv only, as stated on the campaign page, in "SVP 4 editions and pricing" section.

If yes, exactly when will it be implemented?

Somewhere after "SVP 4 MacOS" release planned on or after December.

If no, am I able to get a refund?

I really have no idea. Currently your payment is for Indiegogo, not for SVP Team.

5 (edited by davo 13-08-2015 14:34:39)

If VLC is a maybe yes maybe no -- which is much better than an outright No...

What about Kodi?

Thanks for your response.

I can't promise you anything now

davo
What about Kodi?

If you're talking about Windows version - http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:XBMC

Chainik, thanks again for your response and honesty.

Chainik -- "Current development plans are for vapoursynth / mpv only, as stated on the campaign page, in "SVP 4 editions and pricing" section"

First off, (& I don't want to make an issue of this so please take this just as a general comment, not being critical or hostile) as a user & not a programmer when I see something that says it works on windows, I take it to mean it works on windows  -- that is,  with all media players.   I'm not really sure what "vapoursynth / mpv only" means and I can't see it referenced on the "SVP 4 editions and pricing" section... BUT not to worry  smile

I assumed wrongly, that it would be simply a matter of install the software and it works on windows... rather than it works on some select windows media players. That's my responsibility.

Now that I'm aware that SVP works on some media players it seems that this list from the SVP wiki is a pretty important piece of info! If the rubrik on this svp wiki page had been included on the Indegogo sales page, it would make it a lot clearer as to what is supported and what isn't:
http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:Video_players

The Todo list on the Indiegogo does note "VLC Media Player plugin"  -- I missed that  yikes  -- and it also notes " Please give us your ideas about SVP features!"

So I'm respectfully requesting adding Kodi.tv/about to the ToDo list!    lol

(As a free and open source and versatile media player it might also get you more users. I know it's rapidly becoming my goto app!)

So if you can just add it to the ToDo list (& at least I know it will be considered) even if nothing comes of it.

So with that request, I'm simply going to leave my donation as a donation and who knows, maybe I'll get a pleasant surprise in a few months!

Anyway I don't want to take anymore of your time as you're obviously busy, cheers, thank you and good luck for the future!

9 (edited by davo 14-08-2015 03:38:25)

Update: Kodi was known as XBMC: (ie from SVP Wiki Video Player List)

XBMC ("Frodo","Gotham")

• Special edition is required ("XBMC DSPlayer")

• Aspect ratio value should be set manually if using SVP's additional features

( "Special edition" is linked here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=154534 )

... so maybe it is supported after all and your job is done even before it started! cool

I'll look into it further and see if I can work it out, as it's complexity is "High"

Maybe the rubrik can be updated to add:

Kodi
(previously known as XBMC)

cheers!

10 (edited by brucethemoose 24-08-2015 23:17:53)

I'm a little late to the thread, but...

VLC support is a good idea. MPV/MPC are technically superior... but as davo shows us, most people don't know that, and VLC is FAR, far more popular. I think ya'll should target VLC after the Linux/Mac version, as it would dramatically expand the SVP userbase.

EDIT: Don't quote me on this, but I recently heard something about future versions of VLC opening up, and being able to interact with other components.