Topic: SVP 4, Multi GPU support?

Hello, I've wondered if there would be a multi GPU support, SLI & Crossfire.
Since I have to GPU's and the SVP playback lags sometimes, not often but sometimes so i wondered that is it even possible to have such feature.
The SVP 4 seems to be running like a charm at highest settings, the 3.1.7 had some trouble and made my pc a toaster big_smile
Anyways, I'm really happy to use SVP and I'll never go back to 24 FPS, big thanks to the devs, love ya <3

Re: SVP 4, Multi GPU support?

From the manual:

Attention: GPU acceleration enhances the frame interpolation quality and reduces up to the half of the CPU load (depending on FRC settings), but it won't be able to free up the CPU load completely or allow interpolation on a very weak CPU even with a very strong graphic card.

It's a video driver's job to deal with sli

4 (edited by xenonite 05-08-2015 21:59:04)

Chainik wrote:

It's a video driver's job to deal with sli

Only for SLI based frame rendering though...

I was under the impression that SVP uses OpenCL to run calculations on the GPU in addition to the frame composition and rendering?

Are you saying that the GPU is only really used to render the video frame in the same way that 3D games are rendered (and so can be sped up with the development of a dedicated AFR SLI profile?). If so, maybe we should all petition NVIDIA (and maybe also AMD?) to develop such a profile.

With regards to multi-GPU compute, however, even the additional abstraction and unified memory model of CUDA, would not be able to save your application from needing to be specifically designed with algorithms that are explicitly aware of where they are being run and how data is passed between them and the main system. The driver cannot possibly abstract that away, especially if the code in question is OpenCL.

Kondekka wrote:

The SVP 4 seems to be running like a charm at highest settings, the 3.1.7 had some trouble and made my pc a toaster

Yes I have also noticed that...
I am glad that you found a worthwhile improvement even with such a early build of SVP4, but your comment perfectly illustrates a big problem that I have with the 'new and improved' SVP4. Your PC is having such a easy time with the new 'best' settings, because it is not doing the same amount of work.

As far as I understand it, SVP4 is being developed not to improve on the best possible quality or speed that you can achieve relative to the 'old' 3.1.7, but rather to help more people get the 'best' experience that their hardware is capable of. MOST people (everyone except me? lol) seem to prefer a more film-like interpolation rather than having 'halo' artifacts and blurry motion. The upshot is that you can achieve that effect with LESS computational power than what you would need for the 'blurry' image with artifacts.

Xenonite

As far as I understand, SVP (the Manager and svp-flow) is not a renderer.

But, yes, I would be happy if most process lifted to GPU (just like DXVA native). cmiiw