1 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 02:43:05)

Topic: The $10 "Free Forever" tier needs $15 donation for Mac?

So I am not a Mac user in the slightest, but is this a mistake?  Looking at the chart on the Indiegogo page it says that donors need to donate $15 in order to have the "Free Forever" tier on a Mac even though the "Free Forever" tier never specified an operating system (not to mention VLC is also available on Mac).

So uh... did somebody goof?

Re: The $10 "Free Forever" tier needs $15 donation for Mac?

I heard every time developers release software in Mac, they need to pay some amount of money.
Not to mention the process is slow and annoying, so that's I heard. CMIIW

Nintendo Maniac 64
Will it sound better if we'll put it this way: "$15 users will get "Free Forever" for Windows version plus an additional license for MacOS" ?

Yeah, "Free Forever" tier never specified an operating system", so why it can't be Windows?
Do you really see a problem here?

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 08:14:06)

Chainik wrote:

Yeah, "Free Forever" tier never specified an operating system", so why it can't be Windows?
Do you really see a problem here?

Yes I see a problem, because to me the statement made it sound like it was free forever regardless of anything, such as what operating system or what CPU architecture it was available for.

I mean, it does say forever, and I don't think most people (maybe except Intel fanboys and employees) believe we'll all still be using x86_64 CPUs for PCs by 2050.  Not only that, but if the likes of Android, Chrome OS, or other Google-designed Linux-based OSes continue to gain as much traction as they have been, it's very possible that Windows will not be anywhere as dominant as it has been in the last 20 years - I say this as someone that is starting to take their first step into desktop Linux.

There's also the very unfortunate possibility of a Mac donor that donated $10 but doesn't check the updated Indiegogo page while the fundraiser is still occurring.  Then once the fund raiser is finished, said Mac donor will find out that they actually have to pay an additional $25 on top of the $10 they donated because they did not quality for the supposed $15 Free Forever Mac tier that isn't actually one the list of purchasable perks.

Nintendo Maniac 64
There's also the very unfortunate possibility of a Mac donor that donated $10 but doesn't check the updated Indiegogo page

nope smile all updates are immediately sent to donors by email
in any case we're always opened for a direct communications

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 08:22:35)

Ok, but what about that "free forever" bit and the changing of CPU architectures and OSes?  I donated so that, even if SVP was designed for an ARM CPU on an OS running the Linux kernel (SVP for Android on tablets anyone?), it would still be free - that to me is what "no matter what" means after all.

To be fair, when the campaign started nobody really thought about anything but Windows.
I understand that the perk description really need to be changed, the problem it's read-only, I can't change it.

8 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 08:46:52)

Chainik wrote:

To be fair, when the campaign started nobody really thought about anything but Windows.

Umm, I mentioned Linux and Mac support regarding the VLC plug-in in the very first email I sent to you, which was the email that was in reply to the initial email that you sent me - you know, the one asking for my opinion on the draft version of the campaign webpage.

Myself @ 2015-06-18 wrote:

Lastly, with a VLC plugin, that makes me wonder if Mac and Linux support would be possible.

...and you even replied to it:

Chainlink @ 2015-06-18 wrote:

If VLC plugin will ever be possible - surely it will be cross-platform.

Nintendo Maniac 64
I mentioned Linux and Mac support

Nobody of the developers  big_smile

If VLC plugin will ever be possible - surely it will be cross-platform.

Yeah, right. Just because VLC itself is cross-platform  big_smile

What exactly do you want from me? To tell "guys, you'll get anything I will ever develop in the next 50 years for the $10!" or what?

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 09:03:16)

Chainik wrote:

What exactly do you want from me?

Simple: all future versions of SVP for free no matter what - no strings attached.  Plain and simple, I want to pay once and not have to worry about having to pay again in the future.

No matter how long it's been since the previous version came out.

No matter what OS it is developed for.

No matter what CPU architecture it is compiled for.

No matter how many times I've downloaded it.

No matter how many times I've installed it.

No matter how many times I've used it.

No matter how many instances are running at once.

No matter whether I have an internet connection or not.

That is what "no matter what" means.

No matter how long it's been since the last version came out. - yes

No matter what OS it is developed for. - no

No matter what CPU architecture it is compiled for. - no

No matter how many times I've downloaded it. - yes

No matter how many times I've installed it. - yes

No matter how many times I've used it. - yes

No matter how many instances are running at once. - yes

No matter whether I have an internet connection or not. - depends

12 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 09:06:08)

Chainik wrote:

No matter what OS it is developed for. - no

No matter what CPU architecture it is compiled for. - no

No matter whether I have an internet connection or not. - depends

Well then what do I have to do to make those be a "yes"?  Donate $20 total?

Nintendo Maniac 64
Well then what do I have to do to make those be a "yes"?  Donate $20 total?

Be a beta-tester  big_smile

Seriously, I won't answer this question.
All this thread is about the lack of implied "Windows" word in the perk description.
I'll try to make a more detailed statements next time.

14 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 09:15:43)

Well I donated on the understanding that it would be no matter what the OS and no matter what the CPU architecture, so it's somewhat difficult to not be a bit peeved at that...

Nintendo Maniac 64
OK, let's record this as a official complain  big_smile
You, Nintendo Maniac 64, will get a MacOS license when it will be ready!

And no, you won't get Android, iPhone or Intel Itanium edition for the same $10.

16 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 09:25:34)

Chainik wrote:

You, Nintendo Maniac 64, will get a MacOS license when it will be ready!

No.... don't do that, I don't want to be special, that defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to achieve here.  If everyone can't have a Mac version at $10, then I don't want it either.

Chainik wrote:

And no, you won't get Android, iPhone or Intel Itanium edition for the same $10.

Besides, it's this I really want, not a Mac version anyway.  The whole point is that I'm quite OCD about vendor lock-in, particularly on non-tangible items (like software) that cost money - I don't want to spend money on something that will tie me to a single product and make it more difficult for me in the future to use an alternative product.

Nintendo Maniac 64
If everyone can't have a Mac version at $10, then I don't want it either.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/real … 0#/updates

A little clarification about "$15 for the MacOS edition".

At the campaign start we didn't thought about anything but Windows. This's the reason why "Forever free" perk description lacks the word "Windows", it's just implied.

If you're a $10-donor, you donated before or on 28th July, and you feel cheated about the situation, please reply directly to the e-mail containing this update.

But doesn't that still leave the door open for any future donors to feel cheated by the fact that earlier donors got a better deal?

I assume that all "normal" people will understand the situation correctly and won't fight for a $5.

20 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 09:50:07)

Chainik wrote:

"normal" people

You're lucky that even I don't consider myself normal, because other people could very well take offense to such a statement. tongue

Either way, email sent...not that I'll likely ever use the Mac version anyway (it's the principle of the matter that counts!).

21 (edited by mashingan 29-07-2015 09:50:02)

As long they update the SVPflow for performance that's the only thing I need for now big_smile

22 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-07-2015 09:51:24)

mashingan wrote:

As long they update the SVPflow for performance that's the only thing I need for now big_smile

According to the Indiegogo page it says the performance upgrades were released as part of SVP 3.1.7.

I just got an email regarding this issue, this is crazy.

You guys clearly stated forever, and now you're saying that different CPU Architectures and Different Operating Systems require different methods of payment?

I'm sorry, and with all due respect, it's not our fault the wording was wrong. You told everyone that they'll be getting SVP Free Forever. This means ANY Final Version of SVP will be free to those who paid $10. And ANY Beta version for those who paid $100 or more (regardless of Operating System).

Personally I paid $25, personally I'm happy as long as I get SVP Free for Windows forever, but if someone uses both Windows + MAC + Linux, I would assume they would be fuming (pissed off) right now at this news. I too like Nintendo Maniac 64 will stand for the principle, this is WRONG! You guys exceeded your expectations and I am happy that you guys exceeded what you set out to do at the start, which is get $5000 to $7000.

But, and I'm sorry if this sounds wrong, it's starting to look like you are milking it now.

I recommend that you guys register every email that has donated SO FAR, so all the people that have already donated $10, $25, and $100 will get every version for free, but from NOW ON, and because you added the wording now into the Indiegogo website, will have to comply with the NEW rules. Meaning they shouldn't expect the Mac and Linux versions to be free from NOW ON. But all those who paid before should, because you didn't specify that they should not.

Blackfyre
I recommend that you guys register every email that has donated SO FAR, so all the people that have already donated $10, $25, and $100 will get every version for free, but from NOW ON, and because you added the wording now into the Indiegogo website, will have to comply with the NEW rules. Meaning they shouldn't expect the Mac and Linux versions to be free from NOW ON. But all those who paid before should, because you didn't specify that they should not.

And this's exactly how it works.
But the one who "pissed off" should clearly state that by sending a email.

You told everyone that they'll be getting SVP Free Forever.

Yeah, and they will get free SVP version.

This means ANY Final Version of SVP will be free .. regardless of Operating System

Nope. I can't see words "regardless of Operating System" in the perk description either wink

Uh, I don't understand why would the Windows subscriber want the Mac version or vice versa?

Is about like this case, like one stops using Windows and start using Mac instead?