Topic: Tweaking InterFrame Settings

InterFrame isn't difficult to tweak as it's just a plain text file that generates a script for SVP.

I'm looking at its script to see what it's doing. For motion vectors grid, it appears to be taking "6px Small 2" by default, which I'm not sure about. Doesn't that increase artifacts? If performance isn't an issue, would it still be better to use "12 px. Average 2" to get better quality?

Also, I'm not seeing any code to use Artifacts Masking. How can I add Artifacts Masking = Weak?

What I found to work best is Complicated + Weak Artifacts Masking.

Complicated + Small2 will generate unnecessary artifacts.

Re: Tweaking InterFrame Settings

Actually, it's easy to see how you're doing it. I just have to look at "Last Generated AVS Script" with and without Artifact Masking to see the difference.

The difference is "area:50", which InterFrame can override by specifying OverrideArea. I'm not sure what "cover:80" is.

InterFrame, with "Smooth" preset, uses area:150 which is way too high, and "{block:{w:8,overlap:2}" which is way too high.

I'll get better results by calling InterFrame with "OverrideAlgo=23, OverrideArea=50" instead of "preset=smooth".

I also see that it generates only w:8 while you generate w:8,h:8. Is the 'h' parameter optional?

As for changing "{block:{w:8,overlap:2}" to "{block:{w:16,overlap:2}", I don't see any way of doing it without changing the code. Setting preset "fast" would change it but also set "pel:1" which I don't know what it is but probably don't want. I just have to change "8" with "16" in the InterFrame.avsi file.

I believe SubJunk was working hard to find these particular settings combinations...

Someone doesn't like how you manage errors smile

Groucho2004 wrote:
mysteryx93 wrote:
mysteryx93 wrote:

If I set MT to 2 threads and for filters taking CPU argument, set it to 1, I get this message repeating in the console.
Cache::getFrame: dgb1

The errors were being thrown by InterFrame.

Yes, it's one of the svpflow*.dll plugins. Instead using "ThrowError()" in the plugin so a client application could catch and handle it, the developer decided to print the error directly to the console. Unbelievable.

Mystery
Someone doesn't like how you manage errors

obviously it's not about managing errors but just a forgotten piece of debug code

how exactly it's related to Interframe?  hmm

OK I've tested with block size 8 and 16. According to my test, block size 8 does give considerably better image quality. In that case, it does make sense to have higher artifact masking. So I'll agree with SubJunk's Smooth settings.