Topic: Extremely slow video conversion

My system handles SVP for real-time motion interpolation handily, I'm almost always above 1 on the performance rating during playback.

However, when I follow the steps for converting a video file to 60 FPS from the guide that SVP links to (http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/), the conversion is excruciatingly slow and often takes over 3x the time it would take to watch the file (ie:24 minute video file takes over an hour to convert).

No matter what options I use (eg:tune, GPU acceleration), the time to convert is still far longer than just watching the video with SVP and the result is not noticeably better than what SVP does.

Rather than using the software in that guide, I'd be better off just watching my videos that I want to convert with SVP enabled and recording them at 60 FPS  lol   That can't be right.

How can I speed up converting my video files?

System specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4 Ghz (8 cores)
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290
RAM: 16 GB @ 1600 Mhz

Re: Extremely slow video conversion

x264 encoding is very time consuming.
With good setting it can take 3-5 FPS (0.1x realtime).

dlr5668 wrote:

x264 encoding is very time consuming.
With good setting it can take 3-5 FPS (0.1x realtime).

I can transcode video to x264 far faster than realtime with other programs though.

VB_SVP wrote:

My system handles SVP for real-time motion interpolation handily, I'm almost always above 1 on the performance rating during playback.

Note that no heavy encoding process for SVP, CMIIW

VB_SVP wrote:

the conversion is excruciatingly slow and often takes over 3x the time it would take to watch the file (ie:24 minute video file takes over an hour to convert).

This quite fast considering you're encoding h264

VB_SVP wrote:

No matter what options I use (eg:tune, GPU acceleration), the time to convert is still far longer than just watching the video with SVP and the result is not noticeably better than what SVP does.

It's not matter better or not, it's converted so people who can't use SVP still be able to watch video in 60fps (Yes, for those Linux and Mac folks).
Of course, the wait will be over if SVP 4 supports cross-platform smile

VB_SVP wrote:

Rather than using the software in that guide, I'd be better off just watching my videos that I want to convert with SVP enabled and recording them at 60 FPS  lol   That can't be right.

If they (the consumer of your video recording) are fine with big file size, that would be wonderful. big_smile

VB_SVP wrote:

How can I speed up converting my video files?

If you're not really familiar with every x624 option, you're best bet would be using preset ultrafast

It's because the idea of encoding the encoded source not always the smartest option, so, in order to conserve the quality of encoded file, it can be helped to set the higher quality option which in turn slower the encoding smile

So you're telling me that these incredibly slow conversion speeds are normal?!

Maybe you missed before

Try with preset ultrafast

mashingan wrote:

Maybe you missed before

Try with preset ultrafast

I've switched to the ultrafast preset.  Weirdly, all it has done has been to dramatically lower my CPU usage while giving me about the same FPS during the encode.  With the normal preset, my CPU was pegged at max capacity throughout the encode, now it fluctuating between 50 to 80%.  "Ultrafast" might as well be renamed "power saver" based on what I'm seeing  roll

Encoding a 23:42 1080p video to and from a SSD is still going to take about 50 minutes, I'm getting ~29 FPS!

The Ents in Lord of The Rings were faster than this.  lol  sad

I don't know very well the option for encoding using x264. Maybe you can change the option
--me to umh, esa, or tesa
--merange to 40
--ref to 8
--bframes to 11
etc,
maybe someone here with more thorough knowledge can add. Or you can read some here  setting docs

As far I know, the preset ultrafast is encoding with lowest quality.
I don't if this relevant or not, someone had encoded BDISO in h265 which he took about 10hours (or 17hours, cannot remember precisely) to finish the encoding, note that was movie about 90minutes.

If it's me, I usually take about 60 to 120 minutes to re-encode 24 minutes video. It's in 720p, if in 1080p it would take longer, about 90 to 150 minutes (can be longer).

I guess you can only google to search real-time converter (not real-time media player though smile )

Try this: A's Video Converter

10 (edited by VB_SVP 05-08-2015 07:16:44)

MAG79 wrote:

Try this: A's Video Converter

Thanks for the link but it doesn't work for me.  Every time I try to convert a video, it reports that the conversion failed.

Any idea why?

Edit: Doesn't work with or without GPU decoding enabled, Bluesky framerate converter also does nothing for me, leaves FPS at 24 in MPC-HC.