1 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 22-06-2015 05:41:14)

Topic: Consider using the ISO 8601 format for dates?

Seeing how most of the SVP devs are Russian, I am surprised at their use of the American date format MM-DD-YYYY.  Since I know that this format enrages and confuses many Europeans, wouldn't it make more sense to use the ISO 8601 format of YYYY-MM-DD for dates as is customary in much of the software development world?

Re: Consider using the ISO 8601 format for dates?

In Australia we use DD-MM-YYYY (Which always made more sense to me, first the day, second the month, third the year).

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 22-06-2015 09:11:56)

Re: Consider using the ISO 8601 format for dates?

And pretty much all of Eastern Asia also uses YYYY-MM-DD.

Nevertheless, the idea is that YYYY-MM-DD can be understood and not misinterpreted by anyone except for, in my experience, some old fogey Americans that are still fighting any war that started over 50 years ago.

Also, when you sort YYYY-MM-DD into alphabetical order, it results in the dates being sorted chronologically.

Lastly, since SVP releases are hardly what one would consider frequent, the year is definitely the most important aspect of the date in our case.

Personally, I find YYYY-MM-DD to make the most sense since our number system as a whole puts the largest values at the left-most and the smallest value at the right-most; this numerical arrangement is even used for time.